SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Clients Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Clients Development This forum is for discussions relating to SageTV Open Source Clients Development.

Old 04-10-2016, 01:55 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
On an Android Phone/Table there should be a down/back triangle that you hit. For TV, use the back button.
android phone. there is a box on the right contains a left-pointing arrow, but it does nothing. if I swipe screen left, it removes the keyboard while at the same time displaying the "all open apps" screen.

EDIT: if you swipe left to right ABOVE the keyboard, then it disappears
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson

Last edited by tvmaster2; 04-10-2016 at 02:16 PM.
Old 04-10-2016, 02:24 PM
SageTVaholic

for what it's worth, here's a pic of the android phone keyboard that displays. none of the buttons make the keyboard go away:

image.jpeg
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 04-10-2016, 04:00 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
for what it's worth, here's a pic of the android phone keyboard that displays. none of the buttons make the keyboard go away:

Attachment 15423
Here is an example on the Nexus 7 tablet where it shows the buttons below the keyboard that stuckless mentioned...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0561_2-medium.jpg (292.7 KB, 661 views)
Old 04-10-2016, 05:18 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusjoken View Post
Here is an example on the Nexus 7 tablet where it shows the buttons below the keyboard that stuckless mentioned...

my keyboard's just not worthy....
Old 04-11-2016, 12:55 AM
SageTVaholic

oops. testing via no-ip.org ate 1.8gb of cell bandwidth in under 30 minutes. better not use this app without wifi very often...
Old 04-11-2016, 09:59 AM
SageTVaholic

As you might expect, I'm definitely a fan of the changes. Single tap to select and swipe-to-scroll (page, really) are much more intuitive. It does create some problems with navigating the main menu in Gemstone, but hopefully that will get resolved with an updated STV (and perhaps I could fix it now by modifying the menu).

Pulling up the "On Screen Navigation" seems to work better for me now (maybe that's just a coincidence), but I still have some problems. First, the swipe is not always recognized on my Shield tablet, whose touchscreen is always a little wonky. Second, once the menu is up, I sometimes struggle to close it. It doesn't seem to time-out on its own. I guess hitting the colored button in the middle on the right side takes you back to video (it what all it does- I've never been sure).

One thing I've been wondering- would it make sense to have a single tap on the video screen pull up a simplified on-screen navigator? It might just have play/pause, ff/rw, and skip buttons. Perhaps it would make sense to include the right/left arrows for comskip.

In the longer run, though, it probably makes more sense to include that in the STV.

Side note: sometimes the on-screen display gets stuck (not the nav display, I'm talking about the show information and progress bar). My workaround has been to open the options menu and close it, which usually closes the OSD, too. Has anyone else had this problem?

Last edited by reggie14; 04-11-2016 at 10:02 AM.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:21 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie14 View Post
Pulling up the "On Screen Navigation" seems to work better for me now (maybe that's just a coincidence),
I changed the sensitivity for that, so it should be easer to open it. Also a 2 finger swipe left to right will open it as well.

Quote:
but I still have some problems. First, the swipe is not always recognized on my Shield tablet, whose touchscreen is always a little wonky.
Maybe try the 2 finger swipe to see if that works better.

Quote:
Second, once the menu is up, I sometimes struggle to close it. It doesn't seem to time-out on its own. I guess hitting the colored button in the middle on the right side takes you back to video (it what all it does- I've never been sure).
You found the purpose of the colored green button There is no timeout on the OSD - I guess I could add that.

Quote:
One thing I've been wondering- would it make sense to have a single tap on the video screen pull up a simplified on-screen navigator? It might just have play/pause, ff/rw, and skip buttons. Perhaps it would make sense to include the right/left arrows for comskip.
I'm currently maintaining 2 separate navigation layouts (one for tv and one for tablet) and I really don't want to manage more Currently, you can double tap the video screen to get the video options. I really think this is something that should be done in the STV (if IsTouchUI then show a simple navigation, sort of like the how the desktop shows the navigation buttons from a "mouse" enabled client)

Quote:
Side note: sometimes the on-screen display gets stuck (not the nav display, I'm talking about the show information and progress bar). My workaround has been to open the options menu and close it, which usually closes the OSD, too. Has anyone else had this problem?
Seen this as well... on my TV... it's like part of the OSD screen doesn't get cleared. Bringing up the OSD again and letting it dissapear fixes it. It's mildly annoying, but not enough so, that I'm willing to spend a lot time investigating it Eventually I'll hopefully figure out the source of my issue (I'm likely missing a screen command somewhere)
Old 04-11-2016, 04:39 PM
Sage User

Great app

Works nicely on my shield. Only problem is it thinks it is a trial. Keeps printing trial on the screen. Any idea how to get rid of that?
Old 04-11-2016, 05:13 PM
Sage Fanatic

Nice Update

I haven't played with it that much, but so far am loving the new navigation and placement/sizing of the playback controls !

Last week I was overseas and was able to stream stuff no problem to my tablet. Good thing as I didn't want to have to wait until I got home to watch The Walking Dead season finale .
Old 04-11-2016, 05:50 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne5w View Post
Works nicely on my shield. Only problem is it thinks it is a trial. Keeps printing trial on the screen. Any idea how to get rid of that?
If you're running Sage v7, you'll need to have a valid placeshifter license. Register the license, and restart the Sage service.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:13 PM
Sage User

Quote:
If you're running Sage v7, you'll need to have a valid placeshifter license. Register the license, and restart the Sage service.
Thanks for the reply. I am running V7 but never had a placeshifter license. I've got 4 extenders, that's all I've used. Any way I can get a placeshifter license now?
Old 04-11-2016, 06:18 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne5w View Post
Thanks for the reply. I am running V7 but never had a placeshifter license. I've got 4 extenders, that's all I've used. Any way I can get a placeshifter license now?
Not really, unless you find someones selling one (the HD100 licenses work as Placeshifter licenses, too).

You could simply move to Sage v9. I haven't done it myself yet, but it sounds like the upgrade process is usually fairly smooth.
Old 04-28-2016, 05:56 AM
SageTVaholic

Just an update...

I took a small break from the MiniClient because I needed to reonfigure my sagetv setup at home. I recently moved to an unRAID setup and I needed to get SageTV + HDPVR + CommandIR + Comskip running in Docker container (before my wife gets back from her work trip). I'm happy to say that is now done. This weekend, I need to spend some time on a work project, but after that, I'm hoping to get back to the MiniClient, knocking of bugs, and adding features.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:07 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
I took a small break from the MiniClient because I needed to reonfigure my sagetv setup at home. I recently moved to an unRAID setup and I needed to get SageTV + HDPVR + CommandIR + Comskip running in Docker container (before my wife gets back from her work trip). I'm happy to say that is now done. This weekend, I need to spend some time on a work project, but after that, I'm hoping to get back to the MiniClient, knocking of bugs, and adding features.
I've been using it pretty heavily lately on the road and at home on my tablet. A few random hiccups here and there, but overall working great. Once there's some sort of pass-through audio on the SHIELD I think I can retire the HD300s. Unfortunately I think the resale value of the HD300 is getting pretty low thanks in part to efforts like this. I'm not complaining though .

One thing at home is even if I connect to the external IP of my Sage server, it somehow detects that it gets forwarded to a system on the same network and doesn't transcode. Usually this is fine, but in some corners of my house the WiFi coverage drops enough to cause stuttering. Is there some way to force transcoding? Next time I upgrade the WiFi I figure I'll use some mesh technology, but that will probably be a while.
Old 04-28-2016, 09:09 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarylFStein View Post
I've been using it pretty heavily lately on the road and at home on my tablet. A few random hiccups here and there, but overall working great. Once there's some sort of pass-through audio on the SHIELD I think I can retire the HD300s. Unfortunately I think the resale value of the HD300 is getting pretty low thanks in part to efforts like this. I'm not complaining though .

One thing at home is even if I connect to the external IP of my Sage server, it somehow detects that it gets forwarded to a system on the same network and doesn't transcode. Usually this is fine, but in some corners of my house the WiFi coverage drops enough to cause stuttering. Is there some way to force transcoding? Next time I upgrade the WiFi I figure I'll use some mesh technology, but that will probably be a while.
I know in the desktop placeshifter (from which most of this code was borrowed) it does have an option to force a transcode (I think). I haven't brought over those features yet, but I should.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:15 AM
Sage Icon

I'm using a VPN client to remote from my phone to my server. I'm currently stuck on the Login screen (have to work out why I even need to use this step) and cannot enter the info even after swiping up to get the keyboard. No matter what I type nothing shows up in the boxes. It also is difficult to switch between username & password fields. Is this app-related? The app will eventually close itself after a couple of minutes on the login screen. I have no trouble using the auto-login and login buttons. Just the 2 text fields.

Android 5.0.1 on SGS4.

Clients: HD300 x2; HD200 x2; Placeshifter

Service: EPB Fiber (1Gb); OTA (we "cut the cord"); Netflix, Hulu, etc.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:19 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemicuda View Post
I'm using a VPN client to remote from my phone to my server. I'm currently stuck on the Login screen (have to work out why I even need to use this step) and cannot enter the info even after swiping up to get the keyboard. No matter what I type nothing shows up in the boxes. It also is difficult to switch between username & password fields. Is this app-related? The app will eventually close itself after a couple of minutes on the login screen. I have no trouble using the auto-login and login buttons. Just the 2 text fields.

Android 5.0.1 on SGS4.
Yes, good old Samsung... Are you using the Samsung keyboard? I thought I recalled somewhere where someone else (using samsung) had issues with the keyboard. I'd try the google keyboard.

As to why it's prompting you... it's because if you are connecting to the server over the vpn the client is on a different network that the server, and as such, it will put you into placeshifter mode.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:29 AM
Sage Icon

Yeah, this client seems to do that. I use it and another one on the laptop. I wish the other option had a droid client .

I prefer the sammy keyboard, but the aosp one let me type the username. Still can't tap to switch to the password field though.

Old 05-05-2016, 10:58 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemicuda View Post
Yeah, this client seems to do that. I use it and another one on the laptop. I wish the other option had a droid client .

I prefer the sammy keyboard, but the aosp one let me type the username. Still can't tap to switch to the password field though.
You might need to hide the keyboard, then click in the password field, and then bring up the keyboard. (you can try tab if your keyboard has that),
Old 05-05-2016, 07:35 PM
Sage Icon

It refuses to jump no matter what I try.

Checked on my Kindle Fire HD and thd play store version says incompatible. Looking for it on Amazon. If not then I'll sideload it. Love rooted devices.

Edit: sideload of 1.0.3 failed by parser error.

Last edited by hemicuda; 05-05-2016 at 07:43 PM.