SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 03-13-2016, 02:18 PM
SageTVaholic

Kodi 17 and Nexus Player.. SageTV

Kodi 17 brings your android apps into it's interface including SageTV, plex and others... see screen attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160313_131415.jpg (254.5 KB, 465 views)

Last edited by nyplayer; 03-13-2016 at 02:22 PM.
Old 03-13-2016, 06:41 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
Kodi 17 brings your android apps into it's interface including SageTV, plex and others... see screen attached.
I was wondering when someone would bring this up. This is one of the things I really like about Kodi on Android. If the PVR, UPnP time-shifting and client-server support were any good, I would have switched a while ago.

I suspect we are a long ways off from being able to do this. I say this because the way the placeshifter works mostly comes from the SageTV server which would be unaware of apps on the Android device. The Android miniclient likely would need to pass this information to the server for the server to display the apps within the miniclient.
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Clients: 1x HD300 (Living Room), 1x HD200 (Master Bedroom).
Software: OpenDCT :: WMC Live TV Tuner :: Schedules Direct EPG
Old 03-14-2016, 05:07 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnterNoEscape View Post
I was wondering when someone would bring this up. This is one of the things I really like about Kodi on Android. If the PVR, UPnP time-shifting and client-server support were any good, I would have switched a while ago.

I suspect we are a long ways off from being able to do this. I say this because the way the placeshifter works mostly comes from the SageTV server which would be unaware of apps on the Android device. The Android miniclient likely would need to pass this information to the server for the server to display the apps within the miniclient.
It actually wouldn't be that hard to do something like this, even for sagetv. I'm not sure I see much value in having Kodi or SageTV show a list of installed apps, but if people wanted it, it wouldn't be hard. The MiniClient today passes a bunch of information from the native client to server on startup, so including a list of apps wouldn't be that hard.

I really do like the new look for for Kodi, though. It's probably the first Skin that I can can say I really like. (I haven't installed it yet, so I can say if it works well, but it looks good)
Old 03-14-2016, 09:18 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
The MiniClient today passes a bunch of information from the native client to server on startup, so including a list of apps wouldn't be that hard.
It might seem like kind of a 'hack' but what do you think about letting it be configurable from the Android miniclient side? That is, for a particular menu name (e.g. video, music) allow the user to choose an installed Android app to launch. So when the user selects video it opens Plex for example instead of displaying the stv.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:30 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm9843 View Post
It might seem like kind of a 'hack' but what do you think about letting it be configurable from the Android miniclient side? That is, for a particular menu name (e.g. video, music) allow the user to choose an installed Android app to launch. So when the user selects video it opens Plex for example instead of displaying the stv.
That would assume that the Plex (or other app) would understand the URL that sagetv uses (which it won't). SageTV is not getting the video via some url like, http://myserver/video.ts, but rather, the video streaming api is using custom datasources for streaming the video from the server to client, and these custom datasources are unknown to other video players. Off hand, that might seem like a "stupid" thing to do, but, in reality, the sagetv streaming protocol solves much the same issues as HLS but, in an easier to implement model. That being said, it probably wouldn't be hard to create an http interface to serve up the content as standard http data, but, you wouldn't get livetv, and seeking would be hit or miss in terms of working, and comskip would be non-existent.

Personally, I think that instead of hacking the minicient to do this... a better approach is really to enhance the integration between SageTV and other services, like plex (which I think is done), and maybe Kodi (ie, can you can create a sagetv media source in kodi, or is it just pointing to a physical location on disk)
Old 03-14-2016, 10:47 AM
SageTVaholic

The PVR Integration in KODi 17 is great here are some screen shots using the NextPVR Client.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160314_094455.jpg (706.3 KB, 332 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160314_094428.jpg (350.5 KB, 318 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160314_094338.jpg (321.2 KB, 401 views)