SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV v7 Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV version 7 application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss plugins for SageTV version 7 and newer.

Old 04-30-2016, 03:33 AM
Sage Advanced User

Weird sagex api image problem

Hi

When I call an image using sagex api Mediahandler, the colours in the images are being transformed:

'CaptureA' below is what the channel logo should look like (png file) - 'CaptureB' is what is produced using ...sagex/media/logo/BBC4

'CaptureC' is produced by a sagex call .../sagex/media/poster/10670613 and is fine
'CaptureD' is produced by call .../sagex/media/thumbnail/10670613 and isn't.

I have no idea what I, or it, is doing wrong. Does anyone have a suggestion?

thanks

syrel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capturea.JPG (10.5 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg Captureb.JPG (10.5 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg Capturec.JPG (25.0 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg Captured.JPG (22.0 KB, 156 views)
Old 04-30-2016, 04:32 AM
SageTVaholic

So Capture B and D are using sagetv apis to load a SageTV image and then uses java ImageIO class to transform it into the final file to send.

Capture C uses the phoenix APIs (since this is fanart) and because no other operations are specified it will send the file that is stored on disk. I wonder if you would have similar issues if you add thed the scalex parameter, something like, "&scalex=50", since that would force it through the ImageIO library.

This is unfortunately a command problem It doesn't do this for all images, but every now and then, some images come out exactly like you have shown. There is something in the source image that triggers this, but I have no idea what it might be.

The source code for the "phoenix" handlers is located here..
https://github.com/stuckless/sagetv-...stHandler.java

And the code that transforms a sagetv image blob into jpg/png is here..
https://github.com/stuckless/sagetv-...dler.java#L222

I suspect that maybe different versions of java might also have different effects, since, this seems like a bug in the ImageIO handling.
Old 04-30-2016, 06:27 AM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks for the reply Stuckless. I had assumed that Phoenix must be the explanation for the correct version. Is there any way to call channel logos via phoenix?

I can confirm that this effect occurs on every image that I call via the sage apis. I've tried different file formats, colour depths, whatever I can think of to find a way, but it gives the image a pink wash every single time.

Unfortunately, I'm not a coder and so won't be able to do anything with the source code: the reason it's affecting me is because I use the xbmc plugin - I've learned to hack a bit of python via trial and error, but java is beyond me.

I could update java if you think it will make a difference - I'm still on 6.10. I'll need to take a system backup before I do, though, as updating caused me a lot of sage headaches last time (hence me sticking with 6.10!).

syrel

Last edited by syrel; 04-30-2016 at 06:47 AM.
Old 04-30-2016, 06:48 AM
Sage Advanced User

Your advice has helped me to find out a bit more about the problem, though:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4...write-jpg-file

So now I have a rough idea of how to fix it, I just don't know how to do it!

syrel
Old 04-30-2016, 08:26 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by syrel View Post
Your advice has helped me to find out a bit more about the problem, though:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4...write-jpg-file

So now I have a rough idea of how to fix it, I just don't know how to do it!

syrel
Unfortunately, for these fixes to work, I have to load the image myself, but in the case of sagetv images (logos, thumbanils,etc), they are given to me in a loaded state. I'm not sure that there is much that I can do, easily, here.

I would try to run java 7 and see if you have the same issues.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:33 AM
Sage Advanced User

So the suggestion here http://stackoverflow.com/a/6075213 of adding TYPE_INT_RGB would not work? I was looking at adding it to (maybe) L227:

BufferedImage img = Utility.GetImageAsBufferedImage(sageImage);

but if you're saying that still wouldn't work, I'll stop trying to make it up...

PS- upgrading to Java 7 has not helped

Last edited by syrel; 04-30-2016 at 08:58 AM.
Old 04-30-2016, 12:11 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
So the suggestion here http://stackoverflow.com/a/6075213 of adding TYPE_INT_RGB would not work? I was looking at adding it to (maybe) L227:

BufferedImage img = Utility.GetImageAsBufferedImage(sageImage);

but if you're saying that still wouldn't work, I'll stop trying to make it up...

PS- upgrading to Java 7 has not helped
The challenge is the Utility.GetImage... returns a BufferedImage and in the samples that you posted, you are creating, from scratch, a BufferedImage. So once you have a buffered image, you'd have to determine (somehow) that it's bad, and fix it.

In your Sage.properties... try setting
Code:
ui/load_images_with_awt_toolkit=true
and then
Code:
ui/load_images_with_awt_toolkit=false
It looks like the core sagetv image utils is trying to account for some jpeg loadling issues as well. I'd play with toggling that setting and see what happens.

Note you have to have sagetv shutdown before you modify the Sage.properties.
Old 04-30-2016, 01:19 PM
Sage Advanced User

It was already set to true; I toggled it to false but made no difference. Thanks for trying to find a solution though.

syrel
Old 04-30-2016, 01:21 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
The challenge is the Utility.GetImage... returns a BufferedImage and in the samples that you posted, you are creating, from scratch, a BufferedImage. So once you have a buffered image, you'd have to determine (somehow) that it's bad, and fix it.
Given that I know that all images are bad, is there a standard line I could insert to fix it? Or is it that we know it's bad, but we don't know exactly how it's bad?

thanks

syrel
Old 05-01-2016, 07:45 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Given that I know that all images are bad, is there a standard line I could insert to fix it? Or is it that we know it's bad, but we don't know exactly how it's bad?

thanks

syrel
I don't feel this is a simple fix. Personally based on the fixes that you posted and looking at the server code, I thought that setting the sagetv property would have fixed this (since what it does is what one of the fixes suggested).
Old 05-01-2016, 08:16 AM
Sage Advanced User

OK, guess I'll have to get used to rose tinted logos then. Thanks for looking at it.

syrel

EDIT:

I have found a workaround - I've edited the python script so that it requests channel logos via my ftp server, which means I can access them directly.

Last edited by syrel; 05-02-2016 at 04:11 AM.