SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 08-02-2016, 09:30 AM
Sage Fanatic

Any reason to upgrade to v9?

I've not really been following the progress on V9 much at all since my V7 is working good enough. But it's been some time since V9 was introduced so I figured I'll take a look again..

So does V9 have any new features? A quick look tells me that the
biggest advantage would be to go to 64bit Linux to increase the heap size.
I have to reboot/restart the service on my 32bit Win7 system every couple weeks to reset the heap. (I have 2 HD300s and 1 HD200 in active use)

Moving to V9 linux, would I lose any of my plugins?
I currently use 2 of the HDHR Prime.
I use comskip and caller-id popup and SRE as my main plugins. (there are others that I just can't think of right now)

So other than the heap size in linux, is it worth upgrading to V9? I'm not against moving to linux, but it will be a huge pain since I'm not as well versed in linux as I am in Windows.
I assume OpenDCT works great with the primes?

Jim
Old 08-03-2016, 12:06 PM
Sage Advanced User

+1

Running rock solid V7... Use it every day and haven't fiddled with it in over a year.

-uberpixel
Old 08-03-2016, 03:24 PM
Sage Expert

is there any reason not to upgrade? assuming one stays with windows? just curious really

I went the Linux/docker route and am quite happy, well comskip seems a bit unhappy about live recordings some days, and perfectly happy the next, where as on windows/v7 it seemed pretty happy most of the time...
but so far so good I think?
I do miss sage MyMovies though...
Old 08-03-2016, 03:54 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuszkie View Post
I've not really been following the progress on V9 much at all since my V7 is working good enough. But it's been some time since V9 was introduced so I figured I'll take a look again..

So does V9 have any new features? A quick look tells me that the
biggest advantage would be to go to 64bit Linux to increase the heap size.
I have to reboot/restart the service on my 32bit Win7 system every couple weeks to reset the heap. (I have 2 HD300s and 1 HD200 in active use)

Moving to V9 linux, would I lose any of my plugins?
I currently use 2 of the HDHR Prime.
I use comskip and caller-id popup and SRE as my main plugins. (there are others that I just can't think of right now)

So other than the heap size in linux, is it worth upgrading to V9? I'm not against moving to linux, but it will be a huge pain since I'm not as well versed in linux as I am in Windows.
I assume OpenDCT works great with the primes?

Jim
I'm still on v7 for now too.

The Linux version supports 64bit for larger heap size as you mentioned - however there is no client for Linux. So, this works well for a headless sever, but if you connect a TV directly to your server like I do, it may not be the best choice.
There is a miniclient for Linux (similar to Placeshifter, Extender, or Android Miniclient) - but from what I've heard it doesn't play everything as well as the full blown client or the dedicated Extenders.

Aside from that, they supposedly made a lot of under-the-covers improvements and bug fixes related to database access - so should be more responsive / get fewer spinning circles.

There have also been some low-level features added to allow certain plugins to work better.

From what I remember reading, the YouTube plugin and the Android Mini Client make use of some of these new v9 features. There may be other plugins that do also.

For now I would say if everything is working smoothly I wouldn't rush to upgrade v9, unless you're bored and just like to experiment -or- want to take advantage of a new plugin that needs v9.

From what I've read, lots of people have had a smooth upgrade experience, but at least a few have struggled for one reason or another. At least a few people ran into problems because they tried moving to v9 the same time they did other upgrades (like going to Windows 10, or building a new PC), so their problems may not have been Sage's fault.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 08-03-2016, 05:26 PM
SageTVaholic

There are many small fixes and enhancements. Take a look at the closed issues here: https://github.com/google/sagetv/iss...ue+is%3Aclosed

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 08-03-2016, 06:15 PM
Sage Fanatic

So What is this
" Linux-in-a-VM on windows + windows encoding server as a route for non-linux-comfortable users to get a 64-bit JVM "

that fuzzy spoke of on one of the closed issues?
Old 08-03-2016, 08:32 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
I'm still on v7 for now too.

The Linux version supports 64bit for larger heap size as you mentioned - however there is no client for Linux. So, this works well for a headless sever, but if you connect a TV directly to your server like I do, it may not be the best choice.
There is a miniclient for Linux (similar to Placeshifter, Extender, or Android Miniclient) - but from what I've heard it doesn't play everything as well as the full blown client or the dedicated Extenders.

Aside from that, they supposedly made a lot of under-the-covers improvements and bug fixes related to database access - so should be more responsive / get fewer spinning circles.

There have also been some low-level features added to allow certain plugins to work better.

From what I remember reading, the YouTube plugin and the Android Mini Client make use of some of these new v9 features. There may be other plugins that do also.

For now I would say if everything is working smoothly I wouldn't rush to upgrade v9, unless you're bored and just like to experiment -or- want to take advantage of a new plugin that needs v9.

From what I've read, lots of people have had a smooth upgrade experience, but at least a few have struggled for one reason or another. At least a few people ran into problems because they tried moving to v9 the same time they did other upgrades (like going to Windows 10, or building a new PC), so their problems may not have been Sage's fault.
You could try to virtualize a Windows VM on your Linux server and pass a video card through to the VM. Then just install SageTV v9 Windows Client to watch TV with. Gets you a 64 bit server instance and a Windows client. You could also make the Windows Client a minimal VM and go 32 bit and 2GB or less of memory. I would do that myself on my livingroom PC but I don't have enough PCIe slots to pass through a Video card and iGPU pass through still isn't working or at least not well in unRAID.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:22 AM
Sage Aficionado

I'm still on V6!

I plan to move to v9 one of these days when i can take the time to mess with a a 8 or 9 year old working setup.

Capture Devices: HDHomerunXTEND, HDHomerunPrime