SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 09-14-2016, 12:37 PM

Google Fiber revamped GUI

http://googlefiberblog.blogspot.com/

Awww man just petty I wish we had Google Fiber here.
Old 09-14-2016, 01:24 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post
http://googlefiberblog.blogspot.com/

Awww man just petty I wish we had Google Fiber here.
I just want to know when someone is going to leak the STV file to us... ;-)

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 09-14-2016, 02:16 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
I just want to know when someone is going to leak the STV file to us... ;-)
Narflex just posted that GF isn't based on Sage anymore.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 09-14-2016, 04:38 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
Must have missed that. Where'd you see it?

EDIT: Found it.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.

Last edited by panteragstk; 09-14-2016 at 04:42 PM.
Old 09-14-2016, 05:08 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Their loss.

Old 09-14-2016, 05:42 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I wonder if that is one of the reasons why SageTV was allowed to be OSed.
Old 09-14-2016, 05:51 PM
SageTVaholic

Brent has Google Fiber TV, doesn't he? I wonder if he can poke around and find any hints.
Old 09-15-2016, 04:17 PM
Sage Advanced User

Funked out to read this. They threw out Sage v8 for something completely homegrown? I want Google Fiber in the worst way, but with Sage v10...I'm in a remote location 25 miles out of Seattle. No hope for me.
Old 09-15-2016, 04:21 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by metapath View Post
Funked out to read this. They threw out Sage v8 for something completely homegrown? I want Google Fiber in the worst way, but with Sage v10...I'm in a remote location 25 miles out of Seattle. No hope for me.
Luckily Sage v9 works everywhere. :-)

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 09-15-2016, 04:35 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Google throwing out Sage V8 for something completely homegrown may have been the best thing that could have happened to you. Otherwise, they may never have agreed to open source SageTV, and your only option would be to stick with v7.
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls
Old 09-16-2016, 08:06 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithAbbott View Post
Google throwing out Sage V8 for something completely homegrown may have been the best thing that could have happened to you. Otherwise, they may never have agreed to open source SageTV, and your only option would be to stick with v7.
+1

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 09-16-2016, 08:17 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Why do you want Google Fiber so badly? When it was first announced it was revolutionary since 1Gbps was so much faster than what you could get from the incumbent cable or telcos. But that isn't the case as much anymore.

I don't know what it is like for your local providers but I have had 250/20 service for a couple of years and I can now (or very soon) get 1000/50 service from both cable (Rogers) or phone co (Bell Canada). But 250 down is fast enough for me, at least for now.
Old 09-16-2016, 09:36 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
Why do you want Google Fiber so badly? When it was first announced it was revolutionary since 1Gbps was so much faster than what you could get from the incumbent cable or telcos. But that isn't the case as much anymore.

I don't know what it is like for your local providers but I have had 250/20 service for a couple of years and I can now (or very soon) get 1000/50 service from both cable (Rogers) or phone co (Bell Canada). But 250 down is fast enough for me, at least for now.
Welcome to the US, where monopolies thrive by paying off the officials its citizens continue to elect, thereby stalling progress. Most areas of the US have but a single 'real' internet provider (not counting painfully slow satellite). However, when Google says it's coming to town, suddenly, the lone operator "decides" to upgrade its infrastructure, offer higher speeds, and lower its prices. What a coincidence! There is zero incentive for these lone companies to improve anything because they have it all wrapped up in a nice package with a bow on top. Google 'Comcast customer support horror stories' to see just how comfortable these companies have gotten with their position of power.

I live in Central NJ, which, like a large portion of the state, is distinctly urban. NJ itself is the most densely populated state in the US. My town of 16 square miles has a population of over 45000. My options for internet consist of a single provider, which offers:

5 Mbps @ $65/month
60 Mbps @ $85/month
101 Mbps @ $140/month

I wonder what would happen if Google (or ANYONE else) came to town?!
Tuners: 2 x HD-PVR (HTTP tuning), 2 x HDHR, USB-UIRT
Software: SageTV 7
Old 09-16-2016, 09:56 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skirge01 View Post
Welcome to the US, where monopolies thrive by paying off the officials its citizens continue to elect, thereby stalling progress. Most areas of the US have but a single 'real' internet provider (not counting painfully slow satellite). However, when Google says it's coming to town, suddenly, the lone operator "decides" to upgrade its infrastructure, offer higher speeds, and lower its prices. What a coincidence! There is zero incentive for these lone companies to improve anything because they have it all wrapped up in a nice package with a bow on top. Google 'Comcast customer support horror stories' to see just how comfortable these companies have gotten with their position of power.

I live in Central NJ, which, like a large portion of the state, is distinctly urban. NJ itself is the most densely populated state in the US. My town of 16 square miles has a population of over 45000. My options for internet consist of a single provider, which offers:

5 Mbps @ $65/month
60 Mbps @ $85/month
101 Mbps @ $140/month

I wonder what would happen if Google (or ANYONE else) came to town?!
It's even worse in Canada we have an oligopoly for internet, phone, and cable. We 3 main providers and each provider has agreed to keep their prices high and not undercut each other. We have 3 "budget" providers and each of those is owned but one of the other big 3 companies.

Let's just say unless governments make the oligopoly illegal... we'll be stuck with this forever as there is no "real" competition... and when there is, they quickly get bought by the big 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ilMx7k7mso
Old 09-16-2016, 10:13 AM

Quote:
I sure the core main part may still be there so I'm sure they got rid of a lots stuff that not needed
Old 09-16-2016, 10:15 AM
SageTVaholic

In light of Jeff's remark that Google Fibre is not running SageTV... it begs the question... what does Google know that we don't If they bought a company, with the intention of using it for GF, and then totally went another direction... Are we insane to be pouring energy into this when Google doesn't think it's worth it?

I wonder if we shouldn't be looking at "revamping" SageTV, replacing the proprietary streaming with open protocols (hls or dash), and replacing the UI with native UIs, etc, much like I suspect GF did... although, it seems like they did more than just replace a few things... they replaced everything (if I'm reading it correctly).
Old 09-16-2016, 10:20 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
It's even worse in Canada we have an oligopoly for internet, phone, and cable. We 3 main providers and each provider has agreed to keep their prices high and not undercut each other. We have 3 "budget" providers and each of those is owned but one of the other big 3 companies.
True, but we can get fast internet. My Rogers 250/20 service is C$98 which is about US$75. Or I can get 1000/50 service for C$150 which is US$115.

There seems to be some competition in Canada, at least for internet, between phone and cable companies - which in our region is Rogers vs Bell.

I thought that many parts of the US were more like this.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:37 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

Let's just say unless governments make the oligopoly illegal... we'll be stuck with this forever as there is no "real" competition... and when there is, they quickly get bought by the big 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ilMx7k7mso
This thread was about internet, so I didn't bother mentioning that the same companies which offer internet are usually the same companies which offer telephone and TV. You generally do have a choice of phone providers, though: cable company or phone company. But, the cable company bundles their packages as "triple play" offerings to make it pointless not to accept the stuff you don't even need. You also have a choice of TV provider, assuming you're okay with the cable company or AT&T's DirecTV. Those triple play packages are why AT&T bought DirecTV. This way they don't need to build out their fiber service and they still entered tons of additional service areas.

I'm not sure I see how it's worse in Canada. Our incumbent companies will never compete. The prices here are higher. The service is worse (again, check Comcast horror stories).

(ED: We're "arguing" over who has the worst internet/tv/phone providers. LOL!)

EDIT: Also, we have this crap going on.

Last edited by Skirge01; 09-16-2016 at 11:06 AM.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:41 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
In light of Jeff's remark that Google Fibre is not running SageTV... it begs the question... what does Google know that we don't If they bought a company, with the intention of using it for GF, and then totally went another direction... Are we insane to be pouring energy into this when Google doesn't think it's worth it?
I thought about this, too. With what was mentioned in Google's blog, I noticed that helping you find similar shows was a big, new feature. I'm wondering if they bought Sage just for the intelligent recordings code in order to avoid a patent fight with Tivo.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post

That eazy
With Google Fiber it a flat feed rate
Fiber 1000 Internet + TV DVR: $130/mo ($100 installation fee*) 8 tuner box the 1st TV Client box & remote is included.
You can Add up to 5 reg additional TV Client Boxes + remote sets for +$5/mo each.
$100 installation fee waived with a one-year commitment to Fiber service.
Home phone for +$10/mo (Note standard house phone line)
Extra Premium & Sports Packages
Sports Package $10/mo
Movies Package $10/mo
Family Package $10/mo
Latino Package $5/mo
HBO $20/mo
Cinemax, Showtime, Starz $10/mo each
Depend on where you there can be as much as 200 channel w/Premium & Sports Packages included
Plus Local Tax
That it
No Data caps

Just give you an idea of the diff with Cable ONE my carp cable service here
Internet $74/mo 100MB package with a 300GB data cap
Phone $25/mo continental US only (That just suck everyone else cover way more)
Wired EMTA or Wireless EMTA $8.0/mo (Aka Telephony Modem)
Cable TV $72/mo (No set-top is included and channel is really bad)
SD/HD Digital receiver $5/mo
HD DVR Digital receiver $10/mo
Cable ONE TiVo HD DVR $15/mo (4 tuner)
Cable ONE TiVo Mini Client $7/mo
Cable ONE TiVo Steam $10/mo
Digital Value Pack $14/mo
HBO $15/mo
Cinemax, Showtime/TMC, Starz/Encore $17/mo each
Hispanic Tier $3/mo

So to even come close to GF I need 3 TiVo DVR and Value Pack so by the time I get done I'm at $200+
Why 3 DVR as pair TiVo DVR box don't work to together from what I have been told.

Price wise Google Fiber is a hell better and we all know GF will works better at records thing we want with less after it work the same as SageTV the main core part form what I heard and read by other.

One reason why I keep Dish network after reviewing Cable ONE system but first Hopper system was a bit joke how ever the later Hopper with 16 tuners and dose very good job even know it still has a few limitations