SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 12-01-2016, 04:00 PM
Sage Advanced User

Help upgrading Linux V9

As a Linux newbie this will be my first upgrade. I am running V9.0.4.287 on Ubuntu 16.04 and would like to upgrade to the latest release.

My question is does the installation of the newer releases wipe all my configs such as gentuner etc or does it preserve my settings and only upgrades the Sagetv core?

Basically what steps do I need to accomplish an upgrade? By the way, I used SageWizdoms excellent script for the initial installation, I would appreciate any tips before I proceed. Thanks!
Old 12-02-2016, 05:17 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrx4me View Post
As a Linux newbie this will be my first upgrade. I am running V9.0.4.287 on Ubuntu 16.04 and would like to upgrade to the latest release.

My question is does the installation of the newer releases wipe all my configs such as gentuner etc or does it preserve my settings and only upgrades the Sagetv core?

Basically what steps do I need to accomplish an upgrade? By the way, I used SageWizdoms excellent script for the initial installation, I would appreciate any tips before I proceed. Thanks!
Not sure how if you used the .tgz file or the .deb file, but in both cases, you can upgrade and it should not wipe any configuration data. You can always make a backup of the /opt/sagetv/server/ directory before the new install and if everything goes well just delete the backup.
Old 12-02-2016, 10:37 AM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks Stuckless, I downloaded the new .deb and installed over the current and it upgraded in place without any issues. I had used the SageWizdom's V2 install instructions which pointed directly to the 9.04 package which is how I ended up with that version.
Old 12-02-2016, 12:14 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrx4me View Post
Thanks Stuckless, I downloaded the new .deb and installed over the current and it upgraded in place without any issues. I had used the SageWizdom's V2 install instructions which pointed directly to the 9.04 package which is how I ended up with that version.
Glad it worked
Old 04-13-2017, 12:51 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
... You can always make a backup of the /opt/sagetv/server/ directory before the new install....
Linux v9.0.13.536

I have tried backing up the /opt/sagetv/server directory but after I copy it back over to opt/sagetv, it doesn't work. It never appears in the SageTV Placeshifter Server Manager window.

When I make the backup, this file won't copy so I skip it:
sagetv/server/STVs/SageTV7/Externals/postprocessing.log
(though one time I created a copy with the contents of the original once I'd restored - made no difference)

Is it something about permissions that I just don't know enough about?????
Old 04-13-2017, 01:57 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt4242 View Post
Linux v9.0.13.536

I have tried backing up the /opt/sagetv/server directory but after I copy it back over to opt/sagetv, it doesn't work. It never appears in the SageTV Placeshifter Server Manager window.

When I make the backup, this file won't copy so I skip it:
sagetv/server/STVs/SageTV7/Externals/postprocessing.log
(though one time I created a copy with the contents of the original once I'd restored - made no difference)

Is it something about permissions that I just don't know enough about?????
I would first install the sagetv debs and then copy over the files. The reason is that .deb packages will include the startup scripts needed to start sagetv on a reboot.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:45 AM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks - I had installed with the .deb packages but I guess my mistake was in backing up/restoring SageTV the way I had in windows - i.e., save whole directory, restore previous image, delete the sagetv folder and copy over from the saved backup. I guess the scripts get lost somehow doing that?

I won't do that again.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt4242 View Post
Thanks - I had installed with the .deb packages but I guess my mistake was in backing up/restoring SageTV the way I had in windows - i.e., save whole directory, restore previous image, delete the sagetv folder and copy over from the saved backup. I guess the scripts get lost somehow doing that?

I won't do that again.
I would actually expect that to work since the scripts that you don't want overwritten don't exist in Windows.