SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 12-03-2016, 10:50 AM
Sage Icon

Charter Spectrum???

After being a Bright House Networks customer for many, many years, Charter recently completed their acquisition of them. Earlier this year, BHN had changed the CCI flags to copy freely for most of their channels, so I began using OpenDCT with a HDHR Prime and CableCard. It's been working fantastic for the last six months or so.

I stopped by the Charter office this morning, and the customer rep mentioned to me that Charter will eventually be switching all of their customers to Charter Spectrum, at which point CableCards will no longer work. He didn't have any timeframe yet, so I don't know if this might be six months or six years.

I was about to begin switching from a Windows server over to an Unraid server with docker, but I'm not sure if I should bother if support for CableCard will be discontinued. If my only option at that point is a set-top box with HDPVR, I will probably stop using Sage.

Anyone have any experience with Charter Spectrum? What makes it so different that it would not work with CableCards? Any other options besides HDPVR/Colossus?
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls
Old 12-03-2016, 10:55 AM
SageTVaholic

That's totally wrong, at least for our territory, and any other Charter Spectrum area that Sage users have spoken about.

Cablecard systems work great with Charter, and all channels, except the premiums, are copy-freely. I have had my parents running (through the digital transition) with two Primes for a total of 6 tuners on one Sage system, and it's been a pretty solid ride.
Old 12-03-2016, 12:45 PM
Sage User

Same here, I have Charter Spectrum in the St. Louis market and SageTV w/HDHR Prime & cable card and OpenDCT works just fine. The problem is CSR's know very little about cable cards so they end up giving sketchy answers and advice about them.
Old 12-03-2016, 05:10 PM
SageTVaholic

Same here. When I first got CableCard, there were a few channels that were obviously marked copy once incorrectly (like one of the PBS channels, for instance). This was fixed fairly quickly when I asked about it.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 12-04-2016, 04:32 PM
Sage Icon

Thanks for the info, I guess I can proceed with the Unraid/docker server after all. Now I just need to find the time...
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls