SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 03-03-2017, 07:41 PM
Sage Icon

Watched flag Strangeness

Have multiple recordings of the same show/episode that have the same EP#.
Some are on different channels.
If Mark one of the as Watched, in the past, it made them all Watched.
No that is not the case.

Any idea what gives?

(Recently upgraded from V6 to V9 [with V7 in between])

* merged similar topics *
Old 03-05-2017, 09:20 AM
Sage Icon

Setting Don't Like for Episode is setting ALL same Episodes as Don't Like???

SageTV V9
Setting Don't Like for Episode is setting ALL same Episodes as Don't Like???

This is different than the V6 behaviour.
In V6, it would only mark that particular Airing as Don't Like and leave any other Airings of the same Episode (recordings and future airings) alone. Same if you marked a Future Airing as Don't Like, it would not make any other Airings for that Episode (already recorded or other Future Airing) as Don't Like.

I know in V6 that behaviour happened for the Watched Flag but not Don't Like.

Anyone else seeing this same behaviour? And why did it change or is it a bug?

WAF headed down.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:23 AM
Sage Icon

Doing more looking, it appears that the Watched flag is also reversed from what the V6 behaviour was.

Did the Don't Like & Watched flag behaviours get switched aroung?
Don't Like appears to be working at Show (Episode - all Airings) level instead of individual Airings level and Watched appears to be working at individual Airing level instead of at Show (Episode - all Airings) level.

Is this supposed to be the way V9 works? (how I understood V6 worked)
MediaFile 1:1 Airing
Airing many:1 Show (Episode)
Old 03-06-2017, 12:53 AM
Sage Icon

How V9 functions is described here
https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63045

John
Old 03-06-2017, 01:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graywolf View Post
Have multiple recordings of the same show/episode that have the same EP#.
Some are on different channels.
If Mark one of the as Watched, in the past, it made them all Watched.
No that is not the case.

Any idea what gives?

(Recently upgraded from V6 to V9 [with V7 in between])
That should still be the case...I've never heard of an example of this not working properly.

It is possible to have it where one is marked watched and the other is not....but that only happens if you do the following where both A and B are 2 different Airings of the same Show.

1. Mark A as Watched, A and B will now both indicate they are watched
2. Mark B as Unwatched, now A will still show as Watched, but every other Airing for this Show will indicate it is Unwatched. If you marked A as Unwatched instead...then they would all indicate they are Unwatched.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:17 PM
Sage

And yes, we did change how the Don't Like flag works so it behaves similar to how Watched works. But you can then also use the trick I posted above to work around it if it's a problem.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:05 PM
Sage Icon

Ok. Maybe that work around is what I did. Will check it out some more
Old 03-08-2017, 11:17 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
And yes, we did change how the Don't Like flag works so it behaves similar to how Watched works. But you can then also use the trick I posted above to work around it if it's a problem.
Is there any reason why a Favorite would record the same show three times within a six hour period, on two different channels, even though both series and episode data seems to be available in the listings?

That's been happening every now and then under v.9 Windows install.
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 03-08-2017, 11:58 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
Is there any reason why a Favorite would record the same show three times within a six hour period, on two different channels, even though both series and episode data seems to be available in the listings?

That's been happening every now and then under v.9 Windows install.
If you have it set to Autodelete and KeepAtMost 1 then that's expected...but I'm assuming that's not the case.

It may end up doing this if a client is tuned into that channel..which then of course it'll record everything on it. But otherwise I'm not really sure. A log file of it may give me some more information as to why...I would definitely need to know which show when looking at the log file. (but please start another thread if you want to dig into it)
Old 03-09-2017, 06:14 PM
Sage Icon

Thumbs up

Thanks Narflex for adding a sage.properties so that Don't Like can be set for Airings (old methodology) or Show (new V9 method - default). https://github.com/google/sagetv/issues/265

Code:
apply_dont_like_at_show_level=false in the Sage.properties file on your server. This won't fix the ones that have already been done...but all new Don't Like's set going forward will then only apply at the Airing level
Just need someone that knows how to rebuild the sage.jar file in GitHub and post it and the WAF will be on the rise again
Old 03-09-2017, 06:43 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Thanks Narflex for adding a sage.properties so that Don't Like can be set for Airings (old methodology) or Show (new V9 method - default). https://github.com/google/sagetv/issues/265

Code:
apply_dont_like_at_show_level=false in the Sage.properties file on your server. This won't fix the ones that have already been done...but all new Don't Like's set going forward will then only apply at the Airing level
Just need someone that knows how to rebuild the sage.jar file in GitHub and post it and the WAF will be on the rise again
Hm, tried to upload but got a size limitation issue...
Old 03-10-2017, 07:10 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:

Code:
Out of curiosity, what is the reasoning for wanting to be able to set don't like at the individual airing level, rather than at the show level?

Personally I don't use the intelligent recording feature, so don't bother marking things as don't like anyway, bug just curious.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 03-10-2017, 07:24 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
Out of curiosity, what is the reasoning for wanting to be able to set don't like at the individual airing level, rather than at the show level?

Personally I don't use the intelligent recording feature, so don't bother marking things as don't like anyway, bug just curious.
As someone who has used IR as long as I've been using SageTV and it was an option (I started on SageTV v4) I can say that I prefer the V9 default way of doing it. Many of the shows I have set as favorites-1st run re-air many, MANY times throughout the EPG data. And out near the end of the EPG data some lazy networks do not put any significant info for airings of the show. No season/episode, no description. Using IR it thinks "hey, he likes this show, lets set it to record".
Being impatient and not liking a "messy" scheduled recordings screen I'll mark them as "watched". In V9's default it will mark ALL of the "blank" airings rather than the old V7 way of having to mark each one individually.

What's the big deal you say? Well some of those offending shows/networks can have an entire days schedule on said network full of that show. My guess is they are just using it as a filler until the "real " data gets input.

However on some occasions it is nice to be able to mark them individually as in V7. But overall it is much faster/easier with the V9 default in my case.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:38 AM
Sage Icon

My wife "collects " the old time westerns. Certain channels "edit for time " so they can air more commercials. She makes them manual recordings with don't like flag. Then IF she can get that episode at later date from another channel ( stars western) she does and then deletes the don't like copy. Same goes for recordings that might have a "blip" in them "audio or pixelation ".

We don't use IR feature.

Just how she has gotten used to her system she uses.

I see how at new v9 method works for some and will be default but think it's great how responsive the devs are to requests and making this a configurable option
Old 03-10-2017, 11:10 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
My wife "collects " the old time westerns. Certain channels "edit for time " so they can air more commercials. She makes them manual recordings with don't like flag. Then IF she can get that episode at later date from another channel ( stars western) she does and then deletes the don't like copy. Same goes for recordings that might have a "blip" in them "audio or pixelation ".

We don't use IR feature.

Just how she has gotten used to her system she uses.

I see how at new v9 method works for some and will be default but think it's great how responsive the devs are to requests and making this a configurable option
Ok so she is just using the don't like flag as a personal reminder for a specific recording - she's not expecting Sage to use that information for anything, other than to display an icon?

I never considered using "don't like" that way. That is actually a feature I wouldn't mind seeing in Sage - the ability to mark a specific recording to indicate there is something wrong with it without deleting it. You don't want to delete it (because a poor recording may be better than nothing), but you would like Sage to re-record it if it ever airs again.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 03-10-2017, 12:30 PM
Sage Icon

Red face

Quote:
Ok so she is just using the don't like flag as a personal reminder for a specific recording - she's not expecting Sage to use that information for anything, other than to display an icon?
Exactly. As a reminder and not expecting Sage to take action based on it
Old 03-10-2017, 01:02 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
We don't use IR feature.
I am in probably a pretty small minority of people using IR. I love it, but if you EVER watch live TV then it is not for you. Once you watch, say the news, that program gets marked by SageTV as watched and IR will think "Hey this user really likes news" and suddenly it will try to record local and network news shows 24/7.

I never watch live TV through SageTV which makes IR manageable. If I want/need to watch something live I do it from the cable box, OTA antenna, or whatever.

I can see why your Wife is using it that way, and it makes sense for what she uses it for. I can see why she'd want to be able to mark individual EPG entries manually so she can hopefully get a "good" recording.
Old 03-10-2017, 04:39 PM
Sage

Go ahead and submit an issue on GitHub about using the Don't Like feature to cause it to re-record something. It should be easy to just make it ignore MediaFiles that are set to be Don't Like when determining if a recording of an Airing already exists (in which case normally it would not record it again).