SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 10-13-2017, 09:58 AM
Sage User

SageTV as windows service

Hello,
I have upgraded from 7 to 9 and everything seems to be working ok, except one thing. When I start sagetv as a service, nothing finds it on the network (ie, neither my HD300s nor a tablet client). If I start the full GUI on the server, then all all the HD300s and tablet CAN see it. Any ideas on why the clients don't see anything when just the service is running?

What I have done:
- Ran the install to get to version 9
- Setup schedules direct
- Tested everything with GUI running on the server (everything seems to work)
- Ran SageTVServiceControl.exe and made sure it was enabled and auto start
- Looked in windows services and the service is started and on automatic
- The server does NOT show up for any client
- Go start the Sage GUI on the server and then every client can see it

Am I missing something? With the exact same setup, the service worked fine before I upgraded to v9.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:12 AM
SageTVaholic

What user account is running the service? I don't remember the exact details but I think that can cause a problem. Try setting it to the same user as you log in as - by default it may use a system account.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:12 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
What user account is running the service? I don't remember the exact details but I think that can cause a problem. Try setting it to the same user as you log in as - by default it may use a system account.
I guess I had always just run it as 'Local System'... but I tried changing it to the logged in user (which is an admin) and it did not make any difference :-(.
Old 10-13-2017, 01:02 PM
SageTVaholic

Does this sound similar:

https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63893
Old 10-13-2017, 01:03 PM
Sage Aficionado

Check the Windows firewall, maybe disable it temporarily and see if it helps.

Even if exceptions were in place for v7, v9 may need new exceptions in FW. In this case for the SageTV service.

The only constant in the Universe is change.
Old 10-13-2017, 01:15 PM
Sage Aficionado

I presume this is on Windows and the SageTV server is awake and still the clients are unable to find the server.

I don't use extenders so can't answer much there but I have had an issue with the client not waking the server to connect. I seem to remember a setting in the sage.properties file for the servers MAC address in order to wake it.

The only constant in the Universe is change.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:04 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
I am guessing it does have something to do with the user... but unfortunately, switching the user around doesn't seem to help. There is only one user on the machine (besides system user) and I have tried it both ways.

I disable the service and start the GUI - It works.
I enable the service and start it (starts up fine) - Does not work, regardless of user.

As for another post, I'll check the firewall now and make sure on that as well.

Any more thoughts, let me know. Thanks!!