SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 10-11-2018, 11:44 AM
Sage Aficionado

I am very much interested in hearing the results of your testing. I too would like to signup with HD Homerun Live TV and incorporate in my existing SageTV (running UnRaid now)
My problem is I am not too savvy so I need to usually wait until the experts have a procedure in place for me to follow.

My Sage system now has a dual Homerun and a Prime for my overpriced cable. I purchased a Quattro which is not connected yet and this would add tuners if and when I was confident enough to quit cable and make the Prime Homerun worthless.

Ultimately, I would like to run my cable and new HD Homerun Live TV in parallel so I would not miss the few things on cable I care about while testing.

Thanks for posting and I hope others join in. Please share details for novices if you can.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:44 PM
Sage Fanatic

Well, I ran all 4 tuners for 6 hours (3 consecutive hours a day) and then skipped through the recordings. I didn't see anything obviously wrong except with one recording there was maybe a couple minutes of glitches which I just attribute to a weak antenna signal. The Premium TV streams looked fine. I didn't watch the streams all the way through, but play a few seconds, skip ahead, etc. Or put it on fast forward. So I might have missed some things. I feel fairly comfortable with it, though.

I'm not going to bang on it any further until they come out with "Stage 2" that should have better video and 5.1 audio. The quality is just not quite there (but they are actively working on it). The video is passable, but soft and movement has just enough micro-stuttering to be annoying.

When I first tested this to see if it would be an option I connected an unused Duo and used Plex to record so I didn't mess with my SageTV setup.

For a while I had been waiting for the 6 tuner Prime (I used to have an InfiniTV6 card, so miss the tuners). But if the quality is good in Stage 2 I'd be more than happy to dump Comcast. Even though I'd miss BBCA!
Old 10-11-2018, 01:02 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thank you-

Do you think I can add the quattro to my network and existing setup (dual and Prime) and have the quattro dedicated to a parallel setup of HD Homerun DVR recording to my PC?

I am thinking that SageTV will not use these tuners of the Quattro unless added which I would not do.

I would then like to have the HD Homerun/DVR find and use the tuners of the Quattro only? (not sure how to do this as the HD Homerun/DVR finds all the tuners including my Dual and Prime. Is it possible to have HD Homerun not use the SageTV 5 tuners and only the 4 tuners of the Quattro?
Old 10-11-2018, 03:16 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuMan321 View Post
Thank you-

Do you think I can add the quattro to my network and existing setup (dual and Prime) and have the quattro dedicated to a parallel setup of HD Homerun DVR recording to my PC?

I am thinking that SageTV will not use these tuners of the Quattro unless added which I would not do.

I would then like to have the HD Homerun/DVR find and use the tuners of the Quattro only? (not sure how to do this as the HD Homerun/DVR finds all the tuners including my Dual and Prime. Is it possible to have HD Homerun not use the SageTV 5 tuners and only the 4 tuners of the Quattro?
I don't know; I've never used the HDHR DVR software. If you have a machine you can put Emby or Plex on you can use that to specify to just use the Quatro to record. That's what I did initially.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:06 PM
SageTVaholic

Over the weekend I took a quick look at the what Premium TV has available and how that compares to my current Spectrum (Charter) cable package (see jpg image). I have one of the lower grade packages, without any addon's, but it's still twice the cost of the Premium TV service. I'm going to miss watching Wisconsin sports on FS1, but I can live without the others. It's impressive how many great stations the Premium TV service has for $35/month, and piped straight into SageTV with NO COPY FLAG RESTRICTIONS. For us old Time Warner customers this is a real a treat to have something like this emerge out of the blue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg compare.jpg (208.1 KB, 233 views)
Old 11-13-2018, 10:59 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
Over the weekend I took a quick look at the what Premium TV has available and how that compares to my current Spectrum (Charter) cable package (see jpg image). I have one of the lower grade packages, without any addon's, but it's still twice the cost of the Premium TV service. I'm going to miss watching Wisconsin sports on FS1, but I can live without the others. It's impressive how many great stations the Premium TV service has for $35/month, and piped straight into SageTV with NO COPY FLAG RESTRICTIONS. For us old Time Warner customers this is a real a treat to have something like this emerge out of the blue.
So, did you subscribe to the service? I see no way to "try it out" nor even to access the instructions.

And... how would you pipe it through SageTV?
Old 11-13-2018, 03:12 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
So, did you subscribe to the service? I see no way to "try it out" nor even to access the instructions.

I've been using it since launch with Plex but just this weekend moved back over to SageTV. I have it set up using OpenDCT and it works fine. It's a bit of a chore to set up the tuners to have both OTA and HDHR Premium channels on the same source but it's not that bad.

Some folks grumble about picture quality but it's perfectly fine for my needs.
Sage Mini Client on Amazon Fire Sticks and Android TVs
Old 11-13-2018, 04:18 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:

If you're not a subscriber you may tune a channel for 2 minutes to try it out. And I think you can do that for multiple channels, so not just 2 minutes total.
Old 11-14-2018, 02:17 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarylFStein View Post
If you're not a subscriber you may tune a channel for 2 minutes to try it out. And I think you can do that for multiple channels, so not just 2 minutes total.
If you install the SiliconDust DVR program & you don't have a subscription, you can tune to the premium channels to preview them for a couple minutes. When I tried it a month or two ago, you could actually watch for the 2 minutes, change the channel when it cuts you off, then immediately tune back and keep watching.
Old 11-14-2018, 02:32 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerbrad View Post
If you install the SiliconDust DVR program & you don't have a subscription, you can tune to the premium channels to preview them for a couple minutes.
Sorry. That was not my problem. I can watch the 2-minutes without issue.

This is what I am trying to do: I have 8 HDHomeRun tuners (see attached). My goal was to get information on Premium TV and/or DVR and ended up in this mess:

I go to My.hdhomerun.com and get a message that tells me there is “No HDHomeRun detected. Please connect … and so on.” I click on “My Account” and get a Login screen. It does not accept my name or password. I click on “Lost your password?.” I am told that both my name and email are invalid. I don’t know where to go from there since I am given no opportunity to sign up/register or, for that matter, advised how to proceed.
Old 11-14-2018, 04:13 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Sorry. That was not my problem. I can watch the 2-minutes without issue.

This is what I am trying to do: I have 8 HDHomeRun tuners (see attached). My goal was to get information on Premium TV and/or DVR and ended up in this mess:

I go to My.hdhomerun.com and get a message that tells me there is “No HDHomeRun detected. Please connect … and so on.” I click on “My Account” and get a Login screen. It does not accept my name or password. I click on “Lost your password?.” I am told that both my name and email are invalid. I don’t know where to go from there since I am given no opportunity to sign up/register or, for that matter, advised how to proceed.
1) You need to make sure you're loading the http version on the page not https. I had to use a browser other than Chrome and after it loaded my.hdhomerun.com manually change the https to http. Edge browser will also not work.

2) If you use something like DuckDuckGo it has to be disabled.

Actually, I just tried in Chrome with DuckDuckGo extensions enabled, so must have added hdhomerun.com to some whitelists as know those things caused me issues and a lot of combing through the forums to figure it out.

Also, staff are very responsive on the forums and can probably help you out.

Not sure about the account creation, (it's a different account than the forums). Their website is not that easy to figure things out for sure. The account creation may happen if you order one of their products from shop.silicondust.com, (where the login form resides). I know I have one, but do not recall how I created it.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:41 PM
SageTVaholic

Regarding the Silicondust account, I believe you go to their website, in the upper pulldowns select PREMIUM TV > BUY NOW. You will eventually get to a point where you can add the service to your cart, and login/create account and checkout. You will the receive an email verifying that you ordered the service with instructions on how to link devices to your account (up to 4 tuners, so one quatro or two duo's I suppose). You will eventually provide them with the device number that links that devices to your account at which point channels should start working fully in an hour or two.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:49 PM
SageTVaholic

Being offered now.

HDHomeRun Premium TV (does not include hardware)
$34.99 / month with a 2-week free trial
Old 11-28-2018, 12:15 PM
Sage Advanced User

original hdhr?

does this service work with the original hdhomeruns?
Old 11-28-2018, 12:18 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by derelicte1 View Post
This post lists the supported hardware:

https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/...?f=129&t=69229
Old 11-28-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derelicte1 View Post
Only with HDHomeRun Connect/Duo/Quatro or Extend and anything older then this is not supported
Old 11-28-2018, 12:41 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post
Only with HDHomeRun Connect/Duo/Quatro or Extend and anything older then this is not supported
bummer. thanks for the quick answer!
Old 11-29-2018, 07:21 AM
Sage Advanced User

So, I did some initial tests on moving from Spectrum to the the HD HomeRun Premium TV service which looked to be very promising. Before I make changes to my SageTV Server I would like to be sure I have an easy way back should I experience any issues.

This said, if I stop the SageTV service on my ubuntu SageTV server and backup the Wiz.bin and the Sage.properties file to another location would restoration be as simple as just copying these file back should I experience issues? Thanks!
Old 11-29-2018, 07:32 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomii View Post
So, I did some initial tests on moving from Spectrum to the the HD HomeRun Premium TV service which looked to be very promising. Before I make changes to my SageTV Server I would like to be sure I have an easy way back should I experience any issues.

This said, if I stop the SageTV service on my ubuntu SageTV server and backup the Wiz.bin and the Sage.properties file to another location would restoration be as simple as just copying these file back should I experience issues? Thanks!
You are better off backing up the whole directory because there are other items you may need. For example, If you use extenders their properties are stored in subfolders.

Out of curiosity, why do you need to make changes to Sage? Isn't Premium TV totally independent from SageTV?

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomii View Post

That all you need to do for restore the original configuration

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
You are better off backing up the whole directory because there are other items you may need. For example, If you use extenders their properties are stored in subfolders.
That not need it will not affect anything that only need if going to be move to new system and why I use sagetv-config-backup scripts then add to Windows Task Scheduler pick a time that best suit for late night

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
Out of curiosity, why do you need to make changes to Sage? Isn't Premium TV totally independent from SageTV?
Sometime thing can go south usually in wiz.bin so copy back the old one should fix it if it didn't take right the first time as the old saying goes better be safe then sorry late on.
Yes do believe it can be use with out SageTV for direct steaming depend what your using after all it MPEG-2 so only the Extend was more useful with other device as transcode to H264, Ho how else are you going to schedule and record the things you want you still need some kind server for that.
In case you all did know this Roku is getting MPEG-2 decoding with ver 9.0 and soon all Roku device should be supported.

Last edited by SHS; 11-29-2018 at 08:45 AM.