SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 01-09-2019, 06:56 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnterNoEscape View Post
Interesting option, but you lose a lot of the flexibility that you gain with Silicondust's offering. It doesn't look like they have any way to stream outside of their apps.
Not without home baking it, and convincing Schedules Direct to provide a lineup.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:39 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
Well, I had my eye set on the HDHomeRun Premium TV service;

https://www.silicondust.com/support/...run-premium-tv

which integrates into SageTV via OpenDCT using their connect tuners. Of course there are some channels that I lose, but most of the channels that I like are there - unfortunately, the first snafu in their system is the loss of 8 channels apparently out of their control (4 of which my family liked);

Hallmark, Discovery Channel, HGTV, TLC, Food Network, Animal Planet, Travel Channel & OWN

which may end up changing my mind. Some else here mentioned Philo TV for only $16/month which has a pretty nice selection, but won't be bringing that into Sage without some real effort (which may be worth it in the end).

https://try.philo.com/
I've also looked at the Silicondust offering but the lack of the channels you point out are a no-go.

I am probably "bucking the trend" but in my opinion for getting all the channels I like, in one place, with no "mussing and fussing", cable is my best choice.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:39 AM
SageTVaholic

I am getting close to cutting the cord. I have two kids and they don't watch TV (they watch recorded stuff, YouTube, Netflix, etc) so it is just me and pretty much all I watch are sports - mainly hockey, basketball and golf. I can get some of the stuff on OTA but the large majority of the games are on cable sports channels here in Canada - TSN, Rogers Sportsnet (RSN) and the Golf Channel. I pay about $120/month for cable now. TSN and RSN now have streaming subs but they are about $25/month. So I could get almost everything I need for about $50 month - maybe more if I could supplement it with the golf channel. But I am not sure how flexible the streaming subs are - what is the quality, are you forced to watch ads, etc. It is still easier to just have everything in SageTV.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:47 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
I've also looked at the Silicondust offering but the lack of the channels you point out are a no-go.

I am probably "bucking the trend" but in my opinion for getting all the channels I like, in one place, with no "mussing and fussing", cable is my best choice.
That's true here also to some degree, cable TV still has it all in one place. Unfortunately, folks with old Time Warner have additional hoops to jump through because of how the "copy-once" recordings dominate the lineup. That said, I'm thinking that ditching cable TV will ultimately mean compromising on the channels that I watch. As it turns out, for me, if the channel doesn't show up in the EPG, I really don't miss it much. I usually just find something else to watch.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:59 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
As it turns out, for me, if the channel doesn't show up in the EPG, I really don't miss it much. I usually just find something else to watch.
I found the same thing. I gave up a few channels I actually liked to watch about a year ago to save about $20 on my bill and it turns out I don't even notice they are gone since they don't show up in the EPG.
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Clients: 1x HD300 (Living Room), 1x HD200 (Master Bedroom).
Software: OpenDCT :: WMC Live TV Tuner :: Schedules Direct EPG