SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 06-21-2019, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm9843 View Post
Eh, seems like "fair use" to me. Channels isn't providing access or redistributing the content.
Actually they are redistribution when clear state no copying is allow on those TV Steaming service
Old 06-21-2019, 02:25 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm9843 View Post
Eh, seems like "fair use" to me. Channels isn't providing access or redistributing the content.
I agree just like playon has been doing this for a while record for own use.
Old 06-21-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
I agree just like playon has been doing this for a while record for own use.
You mean was doing as there now down to 8
Old 06-21-2019, 02:39 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post
You mean was doing as there now down to 8
???? . I use playon to record missed shows and on demand movies.... from xfinity.
Old 06-21-2019, 03:02 PM
Sage Fanatic

It is no different than PlayOn and they have been around for a long time.
Tuner: HDHomeRun Connect Duo
Sources: OTA, Sling Blue, Prime, Disney+,
Clients: ShieldTV (2), Fire TV Stick 4K (4)
Old 06-21-2019, 03:16 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkGuy View Post
It is no different than PlayOn and they have been around for a long time.
Agree ... I guess SHS is just a pessimist ...
Old 06-21-2019, 05:11 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post
Actually they are redistribution when clear state no copying is allow on those TV Steaming service
So I can pay them a fee for access to streams that they provide and without subscribing to anyone else? Of course, the answer is "no" which means that they aren't re-distributing anything.
Old 06-21-2019, 05:37 PM
Sage Expert

To me this is no different than PlayOn. And they're still going. They've lost channels on their "desktop" version. But I think that's more technical than anything. Their cloud service offers more. But they don't use TVE on the desktop.
Old 06-22-2019, 07:41 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
It all depends on your bandwidth ... During testing I recorded 6 streams and watched a separate stream. No tuner Hardware needed you don't even need a Prime. The hardware needed is to host Channels DVR server.
So basically, with my Spectrum Cable TV sub, I can continue to record my local stations (copy-freely) with a Ceton cablecard tuner via Channels DVR, and then access virtually all the other Spectrum Cable TV stations (currently copy-once via cablecard) including most of the popular sports stations, over the Internet instead. I can setup favorites similar to SageTV and Channels DVR is intelligent enough to schedule around tuner limitations to the same extent Sage currently does (for that media coming in on the Ceton).

If watching television on the local network, is there an option to not transcode? What transcoding formats/qualities are available?

When I'm traveling, I can watch any of that content on my Android phone via data connection while the server at home transcodes live (if enough processing horsepower). Because the server is transcoding, the phone doesn't even need to have mpeg2 capabilities.

If I want to watch television at home, instead of using the SageTV extenders, I would purchase some Android box to sit beside each TV, this box would have to be mpeg2 capable. I browsed the forums for a bit, but it's unclear what the best Android box would be, for client use at each TV. One that could provide 5.1 channel audio would be good for local channels.

So already having a SageTV server, that could then run Channels DVR instead, accessing the locals via ceton tuner and the rest via the Internet through an active Spectrum Cable TV sub (the Internet content tuner count only limited by download speed), the further investment would be:

1) Channels DVR sub at $8/month or $80/year, which basically provides the server and guide service, with active development happening.
2) Channels DVR Android App $25 (pay once, but use on all Android devices associated with my gmail account)
3) Some hardware box running Android at each television.

As I understand it, the TV Everywhere technology is a free services that runs beside a media providers paid service, so no extra charges there. I just downloaded the Spectrum App and it didn't even ask for a user/pass when connected to home network on Spectrum Internet - not even sure what user/pass I would need.

Are the server and client apps pretty stable?

Last edited by KryptoNyte; 06-22-2019 at 07:43 AM.
Old 06-22-2019, 08:59 AM
SageTVaholic

All Client Apps are free when you subscribe to the Channels DVR... There is no transcoding when at home.

Here are FAQ ...

https://community.getchannels.com/t/...uestions/15290
https://community.getchannels.com/t/...ort-beta/17405
Old 06-22-2019, 09:06 AM
SageTVaholic

Yeah, I just went for it. Won't cost a penny for 30 days, and then just the $8/month.

I'm amazed at how versatile and powerful it is. Remarkably easy to setup and use. Had it up and running in under an hour.

Too bad they ditched Roku devices.

Last edited by KryptoNyte; 06-22-2019 at 09:18 AM.
Old 06-22-2019, 09:29 AM
SageTVaholic

I'm not seeing commercial detection in the timeline. Maybe they don't support live detection?
Old 06-22-2019, 09:55 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
I'm not seeing commercial detection in the timeline. Maybe they don't support live detection?
No Live Detection ... But you can edit the commercials using web interface... and fix any false detection.
Old 06-22-2019, 11:50 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
So basically, with my Spectrum Cable TV sub, I can continue to record my local stations (copy-freely) with a Ceton cablecard tuner via Channels DVR, and then access virtually all the other Spectrum Cable TV stations (currently copy-once via cablecard) including most of the popular sports stations, over the Internet instead. I can setup favorites similar to SageTV and Channels DVR is intelligent enough to schedule around tuner limitations to the same extent Sage currently does (for that media coming in on the Ceton).

If watching television on the local network, is there an option to not transcode? What transcoding formats/qualities are available?

When I'm traveling, I can watch any of that content on my Android phone via data connection while the server at home transcodes live (if enough processing horsepower). Because the server is transcoding, the phone doesn't even need to have mpeg2 capabilities.

If I want to watch television at home, instead of using the SageTV extenders, I would purchase some Android box to sit beside each TV, this box would have to be mpeg2 capable. I browsed the forums for a bit, but it's unclear what the best Android box would be, for client use at each TV. One that could provide 5.1 channel audio would be good for local channels.

So already having a SageTV server, that could then run Channels DVR instead, accessing the locals via ceton tuner and the rest via the Internet through an active Spectrum Cable TV sub (the Internet content tuner count only limited by download speed), the further investment would be:

1) Channels DVR sub at $8/month or $80/year, which basically provides the server and guide service, with active development happening.
2) Channels DVR Android App $25 (pay once, but use on all Android devices associated with my gmail account)
3) Some hardware box running Android at each television.

As I understand it, the TV Everywhere technology is a free services that runs beside a media providers paid service, so no extra charges there. I just downloaded the Spectrum App and it didn't even ask for a user/pass when connected to home network on Spectrum Internet - not even sure what user/pass I would need.

Are the server and client apps pretty stable?
Wait what? I thought they only used HDHomeRun
Old 06-22-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:
???? . I use playon to record missed shows and on demand movies.... from xfinity.
They used to have lot more now there down to hand few outside apps that allow to pull steam from if it allow but not all of them and diff there is what all other TV channel.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:12 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaCrew View Post
Wait what? I thought they only used HDHomeRun
Apparently you are correct. Channels DVR will not work with a Ceton Tuner, according to their FAQ.
Old 06-26-2019, 07:37 AM
SageTVaholic

This almost had my attention until I noted that they don't have any support for DRM (or circumventing capture devices). While they don't rule out eventual support, they have no hints at a timeline for eventual support if ever.
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Clients: 1x HD300 (Living Room), 1x HD200 (Master Bedroom).
Software: OpenDCT :: WMC Live TV Tuner :: Schedules Direct EPG
Old 06-26-2019, 08:26 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnterNoEscape View Post
This almost had my attention until I noted that they don't have any support for DRM (or circumventing capture devices). While they don't rule out eventual support, they have no hints at a timeline for eventual support if ever.
Depends what you mean by DRM the only channels you do not get are Premium movie channels ... but if the standard channels are DRM'd by your provider you can watch and record those. Also in my case I got channels I did not have access to like all the Disney channels (4) and others. Channels DVR has a trial so you might want to see what you get.

The Programmer explains it here.

https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/...?f=116&t=71741

Last edited by nyplayer; 06-26-2019 at 08:30 AM.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:32 AM
Sage Fanatic

According to the post, Channels DVR uses TV Everywhere to access cable streams over the internet.

"Fortunately we discovered another solution, which is now available as a beta feature in Channels DVR: TV Everywhere support. Now Channels DVR can use your cable account login to directly access many cable channel live streams over the internet, letting you watch and record them in Channels just like with your HDHomeRun."

My first thought was "Is that legal?". I thought you were not allowed to record streaming services. PlayOn got around it by playing the stream in a browser and recording that. So how can Channels DVR record the streams directly?

And second, does that mean SageTV could also access those streams from TV Everywhere and eliminate the need for HDHomeRun Primes and their Cable Cards?
Tuner: HDHomeRun Connect Duo
Sources: OTA, Sling Blue, Prime, Disney+,
Clients: ShieldTV (2), Fire TV Stick 4K (4)
Old 06-26-2019, 10:44 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkGuy View Post
According to the post, Channels DVR uses TV Everywhere to access cable streams over the internet.

"Fortunately we discovered another solution, which is now available as a beta feature in Channels DVR: TV Everywhere support. Now Channels DVR can use your cable account login to directly access many cable channel live streams over the internet, letting you watch and record them in Channels just like with your HDHomeRun."

My first thought was "Is that legal?". I thought you were not allowed to record streaming services. PlayOn got around it by playing the stream in a browser and recording that. So how can Channels DVR record the streams directly?

And second, does that mean SageTV could also access those streams from TV Everywhere and eliminate the need for HDHomeRun Primes and their Cable Cards?
You need Chrome so I guess it does the samething Playon Does. I run my Channels Server on a Synology NAS and it works great.

Requirements
You will need:

A major U.S. cable provider like Xfinity, Cox, Spectrum, DirectTV, Dish Network, etc.
Channels Plus subscription
Channels DVR server running on one of the following:
a. Mac with Google Chrome installed (into /Applications)
b. Windows PC with Google Chrome installed
c. Linux PC or NAS using a 64-bit Intel CPU
d. Docker container using fancybits/channels-dvr:tve

Last edited by nyplayer; 06-26-2019 at 10:51 AM.