SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 11-22-2019, 07:24 PM
Sage Aficionado

OpenDCT for ARM is it possible?

Has anyone tried to built OpenDCT for ARM or think that I will have trouble building it? I am testing OpenDCT attached to NextPVR (w/o SageTV) installed and it works fine in my limited testing but I'd like to run it on on ARM for further testing.

I read that CoreElec (a Kodi distro) has java support for zulu from https://www.azul.com/downloads/zulu-...it&package=jdk and it look like zulu is my best choice. It is Java8 if that is a concern.

Martin
Old 11-25-2019, 10:48 PM
SageTVaholic

The only issues you might run into are related to the FFmpeg parts as you will either need to compile them yourself or remove them completely. I did some informal testing a few years ago attempting to turn a Raspberry Pi with an HD-PVR 2 attached into a network encoder. Everything else will run, but being Java, it's possible the overhead might be a bit much for some ARM processors such as that found in the Raspberry Pi.
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Clients: 1x HD300 (Living Room), 1x HD200 (Master Bedroom).
Software: OpenDCT :: WMC Live TV Tuner :: Schedules Direct EPG
Old 11-26-2019, 07:44 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnterNoEscape View Post
The only issues you might run into are related to the FFmpeg parts as you will either need to compile them yourself or remove them completely. I did some informal testing a few years ago attempting to turn a Raspberry Pi with an HD-PVR 2 attached into a network encoder.
Thanks for the tip. I probably don't know enough about building with Java/gradle to take this on building OpenDCT yesterday on Windows was harder then I expected until I released that older Java is required to built it. Fortunately I did find the azul Java for this thread and that saved me having to register to get an Oracle version.

Quote:
Everything else will run, but being Java, it's possible the overhead might be a bit much for some ARM processors such as that found in the Raspberry Pi.
I never liked (and that is being kind) the RPi myself although my RPi 4 does show more promise for more hungry apps and I might change my mind. Right now I am focusing on my Odroid N2 which is the most capable ARM box I have used.

I think the community especially here in Canada and the US needs a transcoding server that leverages v4linux mpeg2, h264 and h265 decoding and encoding that is starting to arrive in the new ARM boxes. If en/decoding becomes as trivial as using libdvbv5 for digital and v4l for analog tuners I think the future for network devices is strong.

OpenDCT certainly fits into my vision for PVR usage although I prefer the idea of a transcoding http proxy rather then using the overhead of the Sage protocol.

Martin
Old 11-26-2019, 03:25 PM
SageTVaholic

This is interesting. Would this type of HD-PVR plus encoder be similar to the Uray or other type of encoders that are available out of China? To me these seem to be the way of the future since they also offer h.265 encoding. The problem is that they generally only have a stereo input for audio. The one thing that could push me away from SageTV is when all content moves to 4K and 1080p just doesn't cut it anymore. But that still may be many years away.
Old 11-26-2019, 03:53 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
This is interesting. Would this type of HD-PVR plus encoder be similar to the Uray or other type of encoders that are available out of China? To me these seem to be the way of the future since they also offer h.265 encoding. The problem is that they generally only have a stereo input for audio. The one thing that could push me away from SageTV is when all content moves to 4K and 1080p just doesn't cut it anymore. But that still may be many years away.
In testing OpenDCT I use the URay Tech H265-L and it works fine although from a NextPVR perspective (where I connect OpenDCT is extra overhead.

If I was connecting from an ARM device to my HDPVR I would use /dev/v4l/ as the source not sure how OpenDCT handles this.

Martin
Old 11-26-2019, 04:04 PM
SageTVaholic

Does that URay device support 2160p? I have always wondered if anyone is able to capture 4k content in SageTV using one of these URay devices.

Is this the device you have Model No. UHE265-1L http://uray.ltd/h-pd-176.html#_pp=0_304_14_-1. It does not appear to support 2160p.
Old 11-26-2019, 04:45 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
Does that URay device support 2160p? I have always wondered if anyone is able to capture 4k content in SageTV using one of these URay devices.

Is this the device you have Model No. UHE265-1L http://uray.ltd/h-pd-176.html#_pp=0_304_14_-1. It does not appear to support 2160p.
That's the one I didn't get a 4K decoder. No HDCP is a bonus. The only cable 4k I watch on my STB is SN and TSN and it is not that special. I got the 4K box at no extra cost and it wouldn't have been worth it to pay extra. Not sure how the current encoders deal with HDR either so no point in using the current generation.

Also since I have 3 Rogers 8300 STB hooked up for recording (I got 2 for $30 on Kijiji) I don't see recording 4k anytime soon. I have the HDPVR and analog captures (my HVR 2250 allows 16:9 captures which are surprisingly watchable) So I have OTA and HDPVR for AC3 so I a pretty well covered.

The URay is great for temporary transcoded streaming (even over the internet). That is one thing I really want to see OpenDCT mimic on ARM.

Martin
Old 11-26-2019, 04:54 PM
SageTVaholic

Thanks - the main content that I would be interested in is also the 4K sports on TSN and RSN. I don't have a 4K box yet since most of my TVs are not 4K and I hate watching live TV. But I am trying to figure out how to futureproos my setup.

I use SA3250HD and SA4250HD boxes from Rogers for my HD-PVRs and I use firewire to change channels. I also have a few OTA tuners.

I am not sure what my next move is. I am tempted to cancel cable and subscribe to RSN and RSN via their streaming services but I don't think it gives you as much flexibility for watching semi-live sports. And it would cost $50/month.

For example, I am not sure that you can start watching a game an hour in - I think you may only be able to watch live, or perhaps watch a recording after the game is done. That does not work for me. It also would not be as easy to skip commercials, intermissions, etc as easily as it is on SageTV.

And I would lose golf from the Golf Channel.