SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 12-17-2019, 08:00 AM
Sage Advanced User

Create a SageTV linux distribution

Could someone create a SageTV linux distribution based on Ubuntu? It would seamlessly load the SageTV interface after the boot screen without displaying the desktop.
Old 12-17-2019, 08:37 AM
SageTVaholic

Are you talking server or client? This would have the most benefit for a client, but most people use non-PC devices as their clients, like SageTV extenders or Linux TV devices.

The ideal hardware device for what you describe would be an RPi but I believe there are issues with getting SageTV to run on an RPi.
Old 12-17-2019, 05:03 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
Are you talking server or client? This would have the most benefit for a client, but most people use non-PC devices as their clients, like SageTV extenders or Linux TV devices.

The ideal hardware device for what you describe would be an RPi but I believe there are issues with getting SageTV to run on an RPi.
You might (I hope to try this sometime in the next month or two) be able to install Android on the RPi and then the Android Client for SageTV. But as I said I haven't tried it yet.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/instal...-raspberry-pi/
Old 12-18-2019, 05:49 PM
Sage Advanced User

I was talking about the server. On Windows, the desktop loads and then SageTV starts up. Media center loaded seamlessly.
Old 12-19-2019, 05:53 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:

Linux TV device, something like the many little black box Android TV boxes? Tempting. Could probably run that off my wi-fi.
ASRock B450M Pro4 AM4 MB, Ryzen 5 2600 3.4ghz, Crucial Ballistix Gaming 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200, EVGA GT 1030SC, WD Black NVMe SSD 250GB, 1x WD120EFAX 12TB, 1x WD80EFAX 8TB, 1x WDBH2D0040HNC 4TB, USB-UIRT, Colossus 2, WinTV-DualHD USB, Windows 11 64bit
Old 08-31-2020, 07:59 AM
Sage Advanced User

If you want more people to start using SageTV, then you have to make it easy for them to migrate to it (both server and client side).

For the Client side, a modern Ubuntu based distro would be useful as a replacement for the HD300 units that you can't get anymore (e.g. something you could install on a little Zotac computer). I have three HD300 devices, but I've no idea what I'll do if one were to fail.

On the server side, making it easy to get started is also useful. A custom distro that would make installation relatively painless would be useful. Also a repository where updates to Sage could be obtained through a package manager would also make things a lot easier for those not comfortable with doing things manually.
Old 08-31-2020, 08:45 AM
SageTVaholic

I think running SageTV server in a Docker is the ideal way to do this. If you are running SageTV you likely have a media server that is a NAS or that is acting like a NAS as it is serving up many Terabytes worth of video content. unRAID is a Linux distro customized to run on a NAS. Then you can run SageTV server on the same piece of hardware, rather than requiring additional servers in your house. And the SageTV application is compartmentalized in a Docker, which is kind of a VM. Then you can run various other applications in dockers, like Bittorrent clients, Plex, etc.

I do agree with you on the client side. They thing to do today if an HD300 dies is to by a used one. The ideal situation would be to have SageTV on a Raspberry Pi but I don't think that is very easy to do since Pis are not based on Intel X86 CPUs. The other option is AndroidTV. As long as development continues in that space, isn't it easier to use a FireTV stick, MiBox or Shield as a SageTV client than a custom distro that requires a full PC? And then you get the option of all of the other media apps on that platform like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, YouTube, etc.
Old 08-31-2020, 10:03 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
I think running SageTV server in a Docker is the ideal way to do this. If you are running SageTV you likely have a media server that is a NAS or that is acting like a NAS as it is serving up many Terabytes worth of video content. unRAID is a Linux distro customized to run on a NAS. Then you can run SageTV server on the same piece of hardware, rather than requiring additional servers in your house. And the SageTV application is compartmentalized in a Docker, which is kind of a VM. Then you can run various other applications in dockers, like Bittorrent clients, Plex, etc.

I do agree with you on the client side. They thing to do today if an HD300 dies is to by a used one. The ideal situation would be to have SageTV on a Raspberry Pi but I don't think that is very easy to do since Pis are not based on Intel X86 CPUs. The other option is AndroidTV. As long as development continues in that space, isn't it easier to use a FireTV stick, MiBox or Shield as a SageTV client than a custom distro that requires a full PC? And then you get the option of all of the other media apps on that platform like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, YouTube, etc.
Agree 100% with all your points here wayner, but to gary201's comment something that has been on my mind a lot recently is that it's hard for someone new to find how to get started with Sage or even know how to start the "recommended" way or find solutions to common problems. There is tons of info in these forums but it is spread out all over the place over years and it is hard to find especially for new users.

I feel like what we need is something more like a wiki that can be a current reflection of the "best of" the forums - how to start, what's recommended, common issues, etc.

--John
Old 08-31-2020, 01:19 PM
Sage Advanced User

Re: docker

I still feel a distro (in the form of a .iso image) is the more widely usable method for someone new to start using Sage. That's not to say someone couldn't do a docker image, but think of the more average user; they're most likely to find a .iso image more immediately useful than a docker setup.

re: wiki

I know this has been discussed before, and I think it may have even been started once, but fizzled out rather quickly. I do agree that this forum has a lot of useful info, but you REALLY have to dig for it. This is NOT something that you should expect a new person to do to start using Sage. New people will quickly loose interest given the amount of research they'll likely have to do and simply move on to something else.
Old 08-31-2020, 02:50 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary201 View Post
Re: docker

I still feel a distro (in the form of a .iso image) is the more widely usable method for someone new to start using Sage. That's not to say someone couldn't do a docker image, but think of the more average user; they're most likely to find a .iso image more immediately useful than a docker setup.

re: wiki

I know this has been discussed before, and I think it may have even been started once, but fizzled out rather quickly. I do agree that this forum has a lot of useful info, but you REALLY have to dig for it. This is NOT something that you should expect a new person to do to start using Sage. New people will quickly loose interest given the amount of research they'll likely have to do and simply move on to something else.
I agree a wiki would be great. But it takes time and effort. There is no company behind Sage anymore. There’s not even an open source foundation. It is maintained purely by a handful of volunteers in their spare time. So the only way that a wiki will ever be created and maintained is if some member of this community decides to step up and do it (maybe your post will inspire someone to do it, or maybe you will decide to take this on yourself - who knows?). The same goes for a Linux iso.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 11-07-2022, 01:06 AM
Sage Advanced User

The SageTV Linux distribution could be based on ChromeOS Flex.