SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 05-29-2020, 12:49 PM
Sage Fanatic

focal fossa & shared tuner questions

hi folks,

just wanted to check in and verify that upgrading to focal fossa has no issues.
i've upgraded all my other machines but always wait a bit before doing so on my sagetv machine.

also, i have my hdhr prime (3 tuners) available to record on sageTV and with the hdhr dvr running on my qnap nas. the hdhr dvr can record a few channels that can't be recorded with sageTV (e.g. fox channels), plus *someday* the hdhr dvr should handle DRM protected channels. is there a way to dedicate one channel to hdhr dvr so they won't conflict and try to fight over the same channel tuner? i know i can delete one tuner from the sageTV sources. if i delete the first one, can i count on hdhr dvr recording on that one? any other tricks/suggestions?

thanks in advance and stay safe everyone!
Old 05-29-2020, 03:33 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat6man View Post
the hdhr dvr can record a few channels that can't be recorded with sageTV (e.g. fox channels)
I haven't upgraded yet but wanted to ask you about this - the HDHR DVR will let you record the Fox channels (I'm assuming you are on FiOS?)? Do you move those recordings to SageTV afterwards, or just watch using the HDHR app?

--John
Old 05-29-2020, 03:44 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
hi folks,

just wanted to check in and verify that upgrading to focal fossa has no issues.
i've upgraded all my other machines but always wait a bit before doing so on my sagetv machine.

also, i have my hdhr prime (3 tuners) available to record on sageTV and with the hdhr dvr running on my qnap nas. the hdhr dvr can record a few channels that can't be recorded with sageTV (e.g. fox channels), plus *someday* the hdhr dvr should handle DRM protected channels. is there a way to dedicate one channel to hdhr dvr so they won't conflict and try to fight over the same channel tuner? i know i can delete one tuner from the sageTV sources. if i delete the first one, can i count on hdhr dvr recording on that one? any other tricks/suggestions?

thanks in advance and stay safe everyone!
The HDHRDVR cannot record DRM channels it can only view them. SageTV can record all channels that are not DRM using the prime ... you just need to use OPENDCT. Also by using OPENDCT tuning you can share the tuners between the APPS.... by enabling Pooling.
Old 05-31-2020, 10:09 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
The HDHRDVR cannot record DRM channels it can only view them. SageTV can record all channels that are not DRM using the prime ... you just need to use OPENDCT. Also by using OPENDCT tuning you can share the tuners between the APPS.... by enabling Pooling.
thanks, i'm using opendct (though probably an old version).

what is the procedure for setting up pooling?

update: found you answered this recently in the h/w thread.......thanks, exactly what i was looking for

https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/sho...38&postcount=3

yet another update:
i've made changes in opendct.properties file (in /etc/opendct/conf/ directory), rebooted and then see that the changes have reverted to pooling off...........any ideas what i'm missing here and why the pooling changes aren't sticking?

Last edited by cat6man; 05-31-2020 at 10:47 AM.
Old 05-31-2020, 12:31 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
thanks, i'm using opendct (though probably an old version).

what is the procedure for setting up pooling?

update: found you answered this recently in the h/w thread.......thanks, exactly what i was looking for

https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/sho...38&postcount=3

yet another update:
i've made changes in opendct.properties file (in /etc/opendct/conf/ directory), rebooted and then see that the changes have reverted to pooling off...........any ideas what i'm missing here and why the pooling changes aren't sticking?
Make sure you shutdown OPENDCT Service before making changes.
Old 06-13-2020, 03:37 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
Make sure you shutdown OPENDCT Service before making changes.
thank you kindly...........it's not not i haven't done this before, but obviously my 'mean time to error' had been exceeded............it's really amazing how you (e.g. I) can repeat the same mistake years apart, over and over again, they seem vaguely familiar, but...............

stay sage everyone!