SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > The SageTV Community
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

The SageTV Community Here's the place to discuss what's worth recording, HTPC deals at retail stores, events happening outside of your home theater, and pretty much anything else you'd like. (No For-Sale posts)

Old 06-26-2009, 12:06 PM
Sage Icon

I Need a New Shared Web Host

Any recommendations for a good shared web host? I'm so sick of godaddy's BS. It's currently taking over 15 seconds for it to respond to php requests and it's made my sites unusable.

I get no reasonable income from my 2 sites, so I must use a shared host unless I can get a SERIOUS deal that would let me virtualize two domains on one semi-dedicated host. I need good LAMP performance! As all my sites use it and I need an easy transition.

So what do you guys recommend? TIA.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:46 PM
Sage Expert

I've had excellent results with Lunarpages over the past few years:
http://www.lunarpages.com/
Old 06-26-2009, 12:55 PM
SageTVaholic

I have 5 sites (running Joomla) with rapidvps. I used to be on godaddy but left for the same reason that you are.

You can check out this site for a rough estimate about performance. I'm on the mid level package, but I've actually thought about downgrading because my sites don't get much traffic.

I rent a linux virtual server where I then installed my own apache, mysql, php, etc, and I run the 5 domains from there.
Old 06-27-2009, 12:45 AM
Sage Icon

Very interesting. I had never heard of the VPS concept. Looks like exactly what I need.

Through some research I came across VPS.net that allows scaleable VPS hosting. Looks very interesting and would allow me to enter in at $20/month and scale as I need it.

I've never managed my own linux server before - do these VPS's usually make it easy to install security updates etc? I feel very comfortable with the web-app side of things, but know very little about 'real' server administration.

Thanks so much!
Old 06-27-2009, 07:04 AM
SageTVaholic

a liunx VPS is pretty much like having your own server, so it will mean that you'll need to know some linux server administration (how to install packages from the command line mostly). I run still run ubuntu 6.04 on my server with ONLY security updates enabled. I still have to manually apply the updates, but there is probably some setting that would automatically do it. Because you are running heading, I aslo installed webmin, which allows me to configure pretty much anything using a web browser.

Most places will offer a windows VPS server with remote desktop. If you are not familar with linux, then managing a linux server could be a little intimidating at first, but there's lots of help out there (google). For example, I searched for "ubuntu how to update system from command line" and on the first page was this page, which is pretty simple to follow.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:35 AM
Sage Expert

I have a VPS at Steadcom.com. I've been quite happy with them. I host alot of customers on it. I highly recommend going over to WebHostingTalk.com for info and deals. There is a sub-forum with "offers" from providers. And there are sometimes really great deals. The one I got was a substantial deal for the life of the VPS.

Also, there are a ton of reviews from actual users. The mods check out EVERY review to make sure they are legit. I cannot tell you how much this site helped me.

And I started with GoDaddy too. Didn't last long. Steadcom is my 3rd hosting company.
Old 06-27-2009, 03:06 PM
Sage Expert

The guys I go through have a nice VPS setup.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:54 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchSchaft View Post
The guys I go through have a nice VPS setup.
Sorry Mitch this is unrelated but I love that cat ( I hat cats) but that one just looks plain mean as hell....
Old 06-28-2009, 01:15 AM
Sage Expert

But he's the sweetest cat you'll ever meet .