SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 09-05-2020, 02:39 PM
SageTVaholic

Cable Companies no longer have to provide Cable Cards

https://thedesk.matthewkeys.net/2020...-silicon-dust/
Old 09-05-2020, 03:41 PM
Sage Aficionado

Yeah, when I went into my local Comcast office in Houston a few months ago the comment I got from them was that they were not going to be supporting the cable cards pretty soon.

Which sucks since I have one in a Tivo and another in an HDHRPrime.

I just don't know when Comcast (Houston) is actually going to do it and what it will mean for folks that have and use them.
OpenDCT 0.5.32 (64 bit)
Clients: HD300 (x2)
HDHR3-CC Prime 20220822 (Comcast CableCard) - 3 Tuners
HDFX-4K Flex 20220822 (OTA) - 4 Tuners

Last edited by CptKirk; 09-05-2020 at 03:44 PM.
Old 09-05-2020, 03:44 PM
Sage Icon

This could be the final nail in the coffin for the yet-to-be-released HDHomeRun Prime 6...
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls
Old 09-05-2020, 04:07 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithAbbott View Post
This could be the final nail in the coffin for the yet-to-be-released HDHomeRun Prime 6...
Yeah. It's almost like they saw it coming
Old 09-05-2020, 06:20 PM
Sage Icon

Spectrum is already moving channels over to the new system which do not work with cable card. Therefore I cannot view all my channels on SageTV. I expect it only to get worse.

I'm going to be really upset when the cable card ceases to function. It is the main reason I'm still on cable.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all
Old 09-05-2020, 07:48 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic0048 View Post
Spectrum is already moving channels over to the new system which do not work with cable card.
What new system?
Old 09-05-2020, 09:31 PM
SageTVaholic

Thank you, Ajit Pai. First, Net Neutrality, now this. Cable company monopoly lobbyists 2, consumers 0. Election coming....
This really ticks me off. Four TiVo’s...
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 09-06-2020, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
Thank you, Ajit Pai. First, Net Neutrality, now this. Cable company monopoly lobbyists 2, consumers 0. Election coming....
This really ticks me off. Four TiVo’s...
Bear in mind a lot of this has nothing to do Cable Company Monopoly Lobbyists it more about the MPAA and RIAA and other Lobbyists worked to curb copyright infringement across all from of media.
Old 09-06-2020, 10:22 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post
Bear in mind a lot of this has nothing to do Cable Company Monopoly Lobbyists it more about the MPAA and RIAA and other Lobbyists worked to curb copyright infringement across all from of media.
Nonsense. If that were true, then Cox wouldn’t be offering their own DVR. along with all the other cable companies. This is purely a move to eliminate current competition from TiVo and others, while forcing consumers to switch to cable company proprietary equipment. Since Ajit Pai killed net neutrality under the wishes of the current administration, my Cox bill has gone up 30%, and my cable cards, 50%. In just two years. On equipment that is already out in the field, and costs them NOTHING.
Believe what you wish, but when you consider how many monopolistic cable operators are now content providers (don’t get me started on that crime), if what you say is accurate, then that’s even MORE reason for them to want ALL the profit margins.
Ajit Pai and his filthy corruption has made up my voting mind...
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 09-06-2020, 11:40 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
Yeah me too this will also finally convince me to fully move to Channels DVR at least they have TVE which has %95 of the channels I watch ... Might have to finally say bye to SageTV as I do not have any Cable boxes. I use a Roku for DRM and on Demand for XFINITY.
Old 09-06-2020, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Nonsense. If that were true, then Cox wouldn’t be offering their own DVR. along with all the other cable companies. This is purely a move to eliminate current competition from TiVo and others, while forcing consumers to switch to cable company proprietary equipment. Since Ajit Pai killed net neutrality under the wishes of the current administration, my Cox bill has gone up 30%, and my cable cards, 50%. In just two years. On equipment that is already out in the field, and costs them NOTHING.
Believe what you wish, but when you consider how many monopolistic cable operators are now content providers (don’t get me started on that crime), if what you say is accurate, then that’s even MORE reason for them to want ALL the profit margins.
And they have still have control just like with Satellite and other Cable Company
do keep in mind at the actual broadcast come from the broadcasters them selves who applied the DMR on top of it, As for TiVo it there own fault beside you do know that many Cable Company carry TiVo DVR brand my cable provider dose but I have no control keep mind there DRM build in to video steam which why I still have HD-PVR as recorder.

We know Ajit Pai is part of problem but bear in mind everything circle back to media giant corporations which are the corruption paying out millions of dollars in lobbyist to get their way.

Last edited by SHS; 09-08-2020 at 03:28 PM.
Old 09-06-2020, 01:13 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post
And they have still control just like with Satellite and other Cable Company
do keep in mind at the actual broadcast come from the broadcasters them selves who applied the DMR on top of it, As for TiVo it there own fault beside you do know that many Cable Company carry TiVo DVR brand my cable provider dose but I have no control keep mind there DRM build in to video steam which why I still have HD-PVR as recorder.

We know Ajit Pai is part of problem but bear in mind everything circle back to media giant corporations which are the corruption paying out millions of dollars in lobbyist to get their way.
Agreed, and Pai is their b@#$&. The corporations are only a problem when our votes allow them to be.
Old 09-07-2020, 05:49 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
It seems to me, at least in my area, the local 'cable' companies have had their 'monopoly' lock in place decades before Mr. Pai. This monopolistic effect is maintained by the politicians bought and paid for by said 'groups'.

At best It's a political apathy issue, at worst corruption from the ground up.

and not to sound like a defeatist, but people don't care enough to make the kind of choices that it will take to change things. it's a war that has already been lost IMO.
Old 09-07-2020, 05:54 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
IMO, Silicondust had no intention of manufacturing a new Cable Card device. It was all smoke and mirrors.
Old 09-07-2020, 06:07 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaCrew View Post
IMO, Silicondust had no intention of manufacturing a new Cable Card device. It was all smoke and mirrors.
Not sure what they would have stood to gain doing that, I do take them at their word that it was a matter of locking in a commitment to produce the chipset required for the hardware. I'm sure they would have loved to continue selling the Prime 3 these past couple of years, but it's not possible if you can't get the chips that the product was designed around.
Old 09-07-2020, 06:07 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Since Ajit Pai killed net neutrality under the wishes of the current administration, my Cox bill has gone up 30%, and my cable cards, 50%. In just two years. On equipment that is already out in the field, and costs them NOTHING.
Your bill and cable cards increasing in price have nothing to do with net neutrality. And, based on the ridiculously low usage rate of cable cards, mandatory support deserved to be killed. I say this as a cable card user and supporter. The cable card experiment was attempted and failed.
Old 09-07-2020, 07:47 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithAbbott View Post
Not sure what they would have stood to gain doing that, I do take them at their word that it was a matter of locking in a commitment to produce the chipset required for the hardware. I'm sure they would have loved to continue selling the Prime 3 these past couple of years, but it's not possible if you can't get the chips that the product was designed around.
Media attention. While they have been talking about a 6 tuner CC box for a long long while, it was right around the time they started pushing their new OTA products and solutions that suddenly a "prototype" Prime 6 was revealed. Coincidence? I don't think so.

As I've said for 2+ years now, we will never see the Prime 6.
Old 09-07-2020, 11:11 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by trk2 View Post
Your bill and cable cards increasing in price have nothing to do with net neutrality. And, based on the ridiculously low usage rate of cable cards, mandatory support deserved to be killed. I say this as a cable card user and supporter. The cable card experiment was attempted and failed.
How do you know, are you working for Cox board of billing directors? And if usage rates are so ridiculously low, then I don’t see how mandatory support hurts the massively profitable cable company. Now, if Ajit Pai said “in 2025, mandatory support will end”, I’d have no problem. The same way they mandate automobile mpg or emissions standards.
Sorry dude, this is 1000% monopoly politics at their worst.
Old 09-07-2020, 11:13 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaCrew View Post
It seems to me, at least in my area, the local 'cable' companies have had their 'monopoly' lock in place decades before Mr. Pai. This monopolistic effect is maintained by the politicians bought and paid for by said 'groups'.

At best It's a political apathy issue, at worst corruption from the ground up.

and not to sound like a defeatist, but people don't care enough to make the kind of choices that it will take to change things. it's a war that has already been lost IMO.
sadly, pretty much spot on. But the cable cards issue was one that at least said “we are here to protect a minority population”.
That’s toast...
Old 09-07-2020, 11:48 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by trk2 View Post
I agree that CC was a failure, but I wonder why that is the case? Why did we not get more competitors to the cable company boxes, especially when, for so many years, the UI was crappy and innovation was non-existent? The cable box should have been an area where we saw lots of disruption, but this never happened. How many devices did we ever see that used CCs? TiVos and a handful of tuners for PCs from SD, Ceton and Hauppauge. Even having TVs that accepted CCs would have been useful for many, but those disappeared very early in the CC era.