SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 11-14-2020, 02:34 PM
Sage Fanatic

Streaming Box Choices

I am looking for another Streaming TV box that will play SageTV.

So far I have two 4K FireTV sticks, a Shield and a Roku.

I like the menu system on the Roku best, but it does not support SageTV.

Shield also has a great menu system, but it is expensive.

Amazon keeps screwing around with the menu system on the firestick and it is a mess. But it is cheap.

What are other people using?
Tuner: HDHomeRun Connect Duo
Sources: OTA, Sling Blue, Prime, Disney+,
Clients: ShieldTV (2), Fire TV Stick 4K (4)
Old 11-14-2020, 07:47 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkGuy View Post
I am looking for another Streaming TV box that will play SageTV.

So far I have two 4K FireTV sticks, a Shield and a Roku.

I like the menu system on the Roku best, but it does not support SageTV.

Shield also has a great menu system, but it is expensive.

Amazon keeps screwing around with the menu system on the firestick and it is a mess. But it is cheap.

What are other people using?
Google Chromecast TV.
Old 11-15-2020, 09:09 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
Google Chromecast TV.
Chromecast can do SageTV? I’ve got one, but never tried.
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 11-15-2020, 03:07 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
The new Chromcast with GoogleTV can do Sagetv.

https://store.google.com/product/chr...20~%20Features
Old 11-15-2020, 10:07 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
Only the newest one that came out a month or two ago. It is essentially an AndroidTV device. Older Chromecasts were much less capable devices.

I haven't used a Shield, but I tried using SageTV on a Firestick and a MiBox and I still prefer a HD300 or HD200.
Old 11-16-2020, 06:47 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
Only the newest one that came out a month or two ago. It is essentially an AndroidTV device. Older Chromecasts were much less capable devices.

I haven't used a Shield, but I tried using SageTV on a Firestick and a MiBox and I still prefer a HD300 or HD200.
When was the last time you used the SageTV MiniClient ... It is now fully supported and has been updated .. to be able to transcode and remote access works. New release was recently uploaded to google Play store and FireTV Store. Remote access even works on my Samsung Tablet/Note 9.

Last edited by nyplayer; 11-16-2020 at 07:06 AM.
Old 11-16-2020, 09:06 AM
SageTVaholic

It has probably been a year since I tried and the device that I was using was either a MiBox or a non-4K Firestick. The main issue was the playback of MPEG-2 files. I prefer Roku as a streaming device as it has the best selection of apps, as well as an API that works well with my Control4 Home Automation system.

I assume that a Shield would work better than the above but I am not sure it is worth buying one as I have a very large inventory of SageTV exetenders. Is a Shield a better solution than an HD300 plus a Roku?

One good thing with my setup is that Control4 can control SageTV using IP controls that are the same as the Web UI. And these appear to be done directly with the SageTV server and work with any and all miniclient. So I don't have the drawback or a crappy remote control with only a couple of buttons.
Old 11-16-2020, 10:19 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
It has probably been a year since I tried and the device that I was using was either a MiBox or a non-4K Firestick. The main issue was the playback of MPEG-2 files. I prefer Roku as a streaming device as it has the best selection of apps, as well as an API that works well with my Control4 Home Automation system.

I assume that a Shield would work better than the above but I am not sure it is worth buying one as I have a very large inventory of SageTV exetenders. Is a Shield a better solution than an HD300 plus a Roku?
Shield support is getting really good thanks to Josh's work! My main issue with MPEG2 playback was that most of my recordings were using an MPEG-PS container which for some reason the Exoplayer didn't play well. Now that I'm generating MPEG-TS containers it's pretty good. Still working on getting a remote with more than 4 buttons, which is the Shield default but lacking for Sage use.

I still prefer my HD300s at this point, unless I want to watch one of the few 4K shows I've recorded, which the HD300 of course does not support.

--John
Old 11-16-2020, 08:24 PM
SageTVaholic

I just bought this one based on a conversation on a recommendation from Reddit. I wanted something cheaper than the shield with built in ethernet so I could do ADB and have a wired connection. My other requirement was that the box be Google Certified. I'll let everyone know my impressions.
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Clients: 1x HD300 (Living Room), 1x HD200 (Master Bedroom).
Software: OpenDCT :: WMC Live TV Tuner :: Schedules Direct EPG
Old 11-17-2020, 09:08 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnterNoEscape View Post
I just bought this one based on a conversation on a recommendation from Reddit. I wanted something cheaper than the shield with built in ethernet so I could do ADB and have a wired connection. My other requirement was that the box be Google Certified. I'll let everyone know my impressions.
Lets us know if it can do DRM ? if you have any channels using HDHomeRun APP.

Last edited by nyplayer; 11-17-2020 at 12:53 PM.
Old 11-17-2020, 12:56 PM
Sage Icon

I have both the new Chromecast with GoogleTV and an Amazon 4K Firestick.

for SageTV use (and Plex as well) I'd overwhelmingly go for the Firestick, just for the remote. The remote on the CwGTV simply sucks for shuttling, no dedicated REW/FF/Play/Menu buttons which the Firestick has. One has to go back and forth too much with the on screen navigation tools (not that I'm not thankful they are there ).

Now that the Firestick has HBO Max (as of today I think). I'm likely to go back to it, even though the CwGTV is a bit quicker.

But... I still can't ditch using the HD300, because the Android Mini Client still looses it's place too much when shuttling around. I know Josh is actively trying to figure it out what's actually going on there.

Edit: oh one more downer about the CwGTV. it doesn't do onboard AC3 decoding, which if you're like me and have to plug it in to the TV (because my receiver is ancient ) it means Plex has to transcode audio on the server end. The Firestick doesn't have that problem as it'll handle AC3.

Last edited by phelme; 11-17-2020 at 01:03 PM.
Old 11-17-2020, 01:12 PM
Sage Aficionado

We, now, have added Fire TV Recast to out FireTV Cube. We, also, have a Tablo Quad -- which runs through a streaming box, such as ROKU or Shield. (I suspect the new Tablo will operate similar to the SageTV HD300.)

The difference between the two (Tablo/Recast) is most striking in the replay of recordings -- the Tablo is miles ahead. This, however, is not a serious difference but still...

The main advantage to Recast is that in addition to your OTA channels, you also have access to all of the other networks (as you would with ROKU or Shield) with a single device. The other advantage being that it is all voice activated (well, if you choose). For instance all you need do is Say "Alexa, go to TABLO TV" and it will open the TABLO App. Or say "Alexa, go to Guide" and you get a EPG of your local channels. Or simply say "Alexa, go to channel thirty one dot (or point) one" and it will play local (OTA) channel 31.1.

All in all, I am really impressed with Recast. I am, however, a little irritated that too many of the adjustments (including adding Apps) can only be done within the Amazon Website.
Old 11-18-2020, 01:01 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
Lets us know if it can do DRM ? if you have any channels using HDHomeRun APP.
No problem. I know it should run the HDHomeRun app based on other people's experiences, but I too want to test out DRM since I know it doesn't work everywhere.
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Old 11-18-2020, 10:35 PM
SageTVaholic

I received the Ematic AGT419 and did a decent amount of testing already. I decided to open a new thread here to discuss it.