SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 12-30-2020, 10:57 AM
SageTVaholic

XFINITY Stream + FireTV

XFINITY Stream is now available for FireTV used to be only available on Roku or web browser.
Old 12-30-2020, 03:25 PM
Sage Fanatic

I installed it last week and works fine.

Now if they would just put it on Android TV.
Tuner: HDHomeRun Connect Duo
Sources: OTA, Sling Blue, Prime, Disney+,
Clients: ShieldTV (2), Fire TV Stick 4K (4)
Old 12-30-2020, 03:30 PM
SageTVaholic

Does that give you the features of your Cable STB, but within an app? Does it just give you LiveTV or can you play stuff on demand as well?
Old 12-31-2020, 10:16 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
Does that give you the features of your Cable STB, but within an app? Does it just give you LiveTV or can you play stuff on demand as well?
I have been using the app om a Roku and Samsung Smart TV as a cable box replacement for over a year. So far I am not aware of anything a cable box can do that the app does not.

Now I am just waiting for Comcast to start charging for using the app.
Old 12-31-2020, 11:24 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
It does a lot more than a Cable box you can watch episodes you might have missed for up to a week... You can watch on Demand Movies including from your Premium Channels.
Old 12-31-2020, 11:52 AM
SageTVaholic

Great, thanks folks.

I have Rogers cable here in Canada. They use the Comcast Xfinity IPTV system which is rebranded as "Rogers Ignite TV". For now I have stayed with legacy cable for a few reasons but being able to use Roku would be a big plus. It also can get you back to a world with a TV where you never have to switch inputs - I have several Roku TVs. Having a TV with built in FireTV could allow you to use SageTV and cable TV with only one device.

Do you guys also use Comcast for internet? And if so do you use their router or do you have your own router? One of the things holding me back from IPTV is that IO believe there are some complexities to using your own networking hardware if you also get IPTV as the TV clients use your LAN to send the signal and this requres a specific config.
Old 12-31-2020, 12:19 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Great, thanks folks.

I have Rogers cable here in Canada. They use the Comcast Xfinity IPTV system which is rebranded as "Rogers Ignite TV". For now I have stayed with legacy cable for a few reasons but being able to use Roku would be a big plus. It also can get you back to a world with a TV where you never have to switch inputs - I have several Roku TVs. Having a TV with built in FireTV could allow you to use SageTV and cable TV with only one device.

Do you guys also use Comcast for internet? And if so do you use their router or do you have your own router? One of the things holding me back from IPTV is that IO believe there are some complexities to using your own networking hardware if you also get IPTV as the TV clients use your LAN to send the signal and this requres a specific config.

I use my own router but use Comcast Modem ...No problem at all.
Old 12-31-2020, 01:31 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
I use my own router but use Comcast Modem ...No problem at all.
Did you have to put it in Bridge mode? I thought that when you do this it causes problems with the STBs communicating back to the mothership.
Old 12-31-2020, 04:13 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
I use my own router and cable modem.

You know how Xfinity advertises millions of WiFi Access Points. Here is how they do it. Comcast provides a single device that is both router and cable modem. They have control of that device. They use it to create a public WiFi Access Point. I have friends who have the Comcast device and have noticed their WiFi slowing down when other people are around using the "public" WiFi. The only way to stop them from doing that is to use your own equipment.
Old 12-31-2020, 05:47 PM
SageTVaholic

Exactly - that is one of the reasons why I always want to use my own router. I don't want the cable company to be in control of my LAN, including stuff like port forwarding. This is slightly tin hat-like but a cable company employee could open ports on my router to do nefarious stuff.

Plus I am a geek so I have a more sophisticated Ubiquiti Unifi network setup.
Old 12-31-2020, 06:15 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Did you have to put it in Bridge mode? I thought that when you do this it causes problems with the STBs communicating back to the mothership.
what does the modem have to do with the STB's? You don't even need a modem unless you have Comcast Internet.

Bridge mode is a pain in the butt because Comcast resets it on updates... Best is to forward all traffic from the Comcast Modem to Your own Router IP.(Wan Connection)(DMZ) ... you can then disable Wireless.

Last edited by nyplayer; 12-31-2020 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-01-2021, 12:39 AM
Sage Advanced User

Location: Stockton, CA - Most miserable city in the USA, SageTV makes it bearable
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkGuy View Post
I have been using the app om a Roku and Samsung Smart TV as a cable box replacement for over a year. So far I am not aware of anything a cable box can do that the app does not.

Now I am just waiting for Comcast to start charging for using the app.
Does not support 5.1 audio, at least on the Roku client. Does it support 5.1 on your Samsung?
Client 1, 2, 3, and 4: HD200.
NAS: Synology DS220+ 8TB (Movie Storage)
Sage Add-ons: Jetty, Neilms Webserver (Jetty), Mobile Web, Play-On Plug-in, Comskip Plug-in
Old 01-01-2021, 12:28 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarredduq View Post
Does not support 5.1 audio, at least on the Roku client. Does it support 5.1 on your Samsung?
I do not know. The two Samsung TVs that it is installed on are just using a sound bar, not a 5.1 audio system.

Any quick way to test?