SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 12-01-2021, 06:52 PM
Sage User

Need Fire TV 4K help

I need some help with the Android client on Fire TV 4K.

First my server setup. I have just upgraded to Sage V9.2.6.976 (64-bit) and it is running on Windows 10 with 8 GB of RAM. I have several HD300 boxes that run Sage client and they all work fine (have for many years). I want to get the Sage TV client working so I can use it with a TV that is mounted on the wall and not have to use the HD300. I installed Sage TV android client on my android phone and it works fine. I'm using the IJK player with Dynamic streaming mode.

I have also installed the Sage TV android client on my Fire TV 4K stick. It connects and the UI comes up just fine, but I can't get the video playback to work no matter what player or streaming mode I choose. If I choose IJK and Dynamic I get good sound, but there is no picture (just black) and it seems to stop playing after about 15 seconds. If i choose Exo player, the playback is extremely choppy and eventually freezes (doesn't seem to matter the streaming mode). Is there something I need to do to get the Fire TV version working?

Any advice you can provide would be appreciated.

Last edited by cjbojrab; 12-01-2021 at 06:55 PM.
Old 12-02-2021, 10:30 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbojrab View Post
I need some help with the Android client on Fire TV 4K.

First my server setup. I have just upgraded to Sage V9.2.6.976 (64-bit) and it is running on Windows 10 with 8 GB of RAM. I have several HD300 boxes that run Sage client and they all work fine (have for many years). I want to get the Sage TV client working so I can use it with a TV that is mounted on the wall and not have to use the HD300. I installed Sage TV android client on my android phone and it works fine. I'm using the IJK player with Dynamic streaming mode.

I have also installed the Sage TV android client on my Fire TV 4K stick. It connects and the UI comes up just fine, but I can't get the video playback to work no matter what player or streaming mode I choose. If I choose IJK and Dynamic I get good sound, but there is no picture (just black) and it seems to stop playing after about 15 seconds. If i choose Exo player, the playback is extremely choppy and eventually freezes (doesn't seem to matter the streaming mode). Is there something I need to do to get the Fire TV version working?

Any advice you can provide would be appreciated.
If using IJK for mpeg2 you have to disable Hardware Decoder MPEG2 in IJK settings. You should also Install the latest "Media Format Parser Plugin" and "SageTVTranscoder (FFMPEG) plugin" I have no Problem with EXOPLAYER but I am using OPENDCT for my HDHomerun tuners.

Last edited by nyplayer; 12-02-2021 at 10:36 AM.
Old 12-02-2021, 01:58 PM
Sage User

OK. Disabling the MPEG2 in IJK settings worked. I have a few questions then. So it seems all of my OTA content is in MPG format (I assume MPEG2) and when I click "Watch Live TV" it is also in MPEG2, right? That is part of the ATSC standard, right? Or is the codec something I can control? If the android client is only using software decoding and not hardware decoding, is that a bad thing? Should I look for a way to make use of hardware decoding on Fire TV?

Thanks

Last edited by cjbojrab; 12-02-2021 at 02:10 PM.
Old 12-02-2021, 02:29 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbojrab View Post
OK. Disabling the MPEG2 in IJK settings worked. I have a few questions then. So it seems all of my OTA content is in MPG format (I assume MPEG2) and when I click "Watch Live TV" it is also in MPEG2, right? That is part of the ATSC standard, right? Or is the codec something I can control? If the android client is only using software decoding and not hardware decoding, is that a bad thing? Should I look for a way to make use of hardware decoding on Fire TV?

Thanks
Yes watching LiveTV is also MPEG2 ... Software is not bad as long as the FireTV can take it and display correctly. If you have a powerful Server you can set the Client to always transcode in settings then you will be able to use exoplayer ... but it will task your server.

Last edited by nyplayer; 12-02-2021 at 02:31 PM.

Tags
android, client, fire tv