SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 12-12-2021, 11:37 AM
Sage Advanced User

SageTV enhancement request

I use PlayOn to stream/record content from Netflix, Hulu, etc. Then, move that content into a SageTV import folder. The recording details are stored in the file by PlayOn (e.g. description, etc.) When Sage discovers a new recording within an import directory, it (should) be able to parse out that data but it doesn't. It used to look up that information off the web (the tvdb I think it was), but that service is no more.

I'd like to suggest that Sage parse the data that is already there within the media file. I've been using windows explorer to view the properties, then BMT to manually copy/past that in, but that just seems silly that Sage can't do that when it discovers the new file.
Old 12-12-2021, 02:30 PM
SageTVaholic

In addition to my response in the BMT thread here are some thoughts/questions...

What is the filename format provided by Playon? Is it recognizable as a movie/tv series etc.? Can you provide samples.

Why isn't BMT recognizing the file and pulling info from TMDB/TVDB... last I checked both were working for me (although the current tvdb provider will quit working sometime in 2022 according to tvdb). Are you getting errors when BMT attempts to get metadata? Can you post the logs?

What are other Playon/SageTV users doing? I have seen others mention they use Playon on this forum with SageTV so what is different in your setup or is this a gap for all Playon users?

K
Old 12-12-2021, 08:00 PM
Sage Aficionado

Here are a few sample filenames:

Brian Greene Explains the Universe - s01e01 - A physics genius reveals the smartest way to inspire a child's love of math and science.mp4

Game of Thrones - s08e01 - Game of Thrones.mp4

Grey's Anatomy - s15e25 - Jump Into the Fog.mp4

Michael Ian Black Noted Expert.mp4

So the Pattern is Show Title - season episode - episode title. For a movie, it's just the movie title.

In my case, my PlayOn machine is a different PC from my Sage box. From time to time I upload videos from the PlayOn box to the Sage box, and either leave them as imported videos or jump through the various hoops to reclassify them as tv shows & get them to show up with the other shows.
Server: Windows 8.1 4gb RAM; 4TB SATA + others. Homebrew quad core AMD. Inputs: Haup. 980, 850 & 950Q on ATSC; Haup 1600 on ATSC & Comcast 2 DTAs with USBUIRT for NTSC. Haup 1800 on ATSC. HDHR Dual (ATSC). Sage 9.22 64 bit.
Old 12-14-2021, 02:50 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusjoken View Post
In addition to my response in the BMT thread here are some thoughts/questions...

What is the filename format provided by Playon? Is it recognizable as a movie/tv series etc.? Can you provide samples.

Why isn't BMT recognizing the file and pulling info from TMDB/TVDB... last I checked both were working for me (although the current tvdb provider will quit working sometime in 2022 according to tvdb). Are you getting errors when BMT attempts to get metadata? Can you post the logs?

What are other Playon/SageTV users doing? I have seen others mention they use Playon on this forum with SageTV so what is different in your setup or is this a gap for all Playon users?

K
The file names are as you would expect (e.g. "Lost in Space - s03e01 Three Little Birds.mp4"). BMT recognizes the file (after) Sage has discovered it and added it. BMT no longer can pull data from the tvdb, but it really isn't necessary. INSIDE the mp4 file that PlayOn creates are various properties that SagetTV could extract (if it was coded to do that). The real thing that is of value is the show description (which when viewing the details of the files properties within Windows Explorer, it's field is "comments". For the specific filename noted here, the 'comment' within the mp4 is: "A year into their mission with the children of the Resolute, Judy, Penny and Will scramble to find the titanium they need to get to Alpha Centauri." Why can't SageTV extract that out of the file and use it. It also gets the season/episode from the filename.

The point here is why should anything reach out over the internet if the data is already in the file.
Old 12-14-2021, 02:52 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCRUser View Post
Here are a few sample filenames:

Brian Greene Explains the Universe - s01e01 - A physics genius reveals the smartest way to inspire a child's love of math and science.mp4

Game of Thrones - s08e01 - Game of Thrones.mp4

Grey's Anatomy - s15e25 - Jump Into the Fog.mp4

Michael Ian Black Noted Expert.mp4

So the Pattern is Show Title - season episode - episode title. For a movie, it's just the movie title.

In my case, my PlayOn machine is a different PC from my Sage box. From time to time I upload videos from the PlayOn box to the Sage box, and either leave them as imported videos or jump through the various hoops to reclassify them as tv shows & get them to show up with the other shows.
That's correct. Playon puts the show description right in the mp4 file. I literally use Windows explorer to view the properties of the mp4, copy/paste the 'comment' into the description field within BMT. Why couldn't SageTV do this when it discovers the file was added to an import directory.
Old 12-14-2021, 09:57 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary201 View Post
The file names are as you would expect (e.g. "Lost in Space - s03e01 Three Little Birds.mp4"). BMT recognizes the file (after) Sage has discovered it and added it. BMT no longer can pull data from the tvdb, but it really isn't necessary. INSIDE the mp4 file that PlayOn creates are various properties that SagetTV could extract (if it was coded to do that). The real thing that is of value is the show description (which when viewing the details of the files properties within Windows Explorer, it's field is "comments". For the specific filename noted here, the 'comment' within the mp4 is: "A year into their mission with the children of the Resolute, Judy, Penny and Will scramble to find the titanium they need to get to Alpha Centauri." Why can't SageTV extract that out of the file and use it. It also gets the season/episode from the filename.

The point here is why should anything reach out over the internet if the data is already in the file.
As far as I can tell, tvdb is still working, at least on my system...however, a modification to BMT to pull data from the file info is likely possible but would take some time...perhaps after my other projects. In the mean time if you can see if playon documents their use of embedded file info so we can code to a specification

K
Old 12-15-2021, 12:46 PM
Sage Advanced User

I assume it's a standard. If you simply right-click on it within Windows Explorer, there are dozens of properties available, including "comment" that has the shows description. It just doesn't make any sense to reach out over the internet to get what is already located in the file itself.
Old 12-15-2021, 12:53 PM
Sage Advanced User

Just did a quick search and found this article https://kdenlive.org/en/project/addi...-to-mp4-video/ that lists the meda data keys for properties within a mp4 file.
Old 01-17-2022, 11:57 AM
Sage Advanced User

Bump. I'd still like to see SageTV obtain the "Comment" metadata from video files as it discovers them (from an Import folder) and populate the description of the video. There is simply no need to reach out over the internet if the data is already within the mp4 file already.
Old 01-17-2022, 02:43 PM
Sage Advanced User

Another request would be to not exclude video imports when files contain extended vowel characters. I have found the only way to get Sage to recognize them is to replace those extended vowel characters with ASCII near equivalents.
Old 01-17-2022, 03:03 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Another request would be to not exclude video imports when files contain extended vowel characters. I have found the only way to get Sage to recognize them is to replace those extended vowel characters with ASCII near equivalents.
Can you provide some specific examples

K
Old 01-19-2022, 06:44 AM
Sage Advanced User

Easy. Sage ignores files with extended vowel type characters. So "Déjà Vu" as either the filename or the 'title' metadata is ignored until renamed to "Deja Vu".
Old 01-30-2022, 02:42 PM
Sage Advanced User

Is there an actual location to submit bugs/fix requests?
Old 01-30-2022, 03:12 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Is there an actual location to submit bugs/fix requests?
https://github.com/google/sagetv/issues

K