SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 10-13-2004, 12:54 PM
Sage Advanced User

MCE2005 = Sage 2.0 killer?

Figured that title might get some attention....

Seriously though, I am a loyal Sage user. Since I resolved my hardware issues (bad stick of memory), Sage has really been rock solid reliable. It now has a very high WAF and has faded into the background as a "consumer device" rather than a debugging/tweaking experiment. Funny thing is that I'm still on v1.4.10...v2.0 has a snazzy new skin, but not enough new functionality for me to upgrade.

BUT...

I read the HTPC News article about MCE2005. Price is about comparable to Sage + a license of XP Home. Finally supports two tuners (can't handle more than two, though). Handles "favorites" functionality (no I.R., which I've never turned on anyway). And yes, the killer app....

HDTV

That function alone has me half considering dumping Sage completely, flushing my machine clean, and going MCE.

Based on threads in this forum that date back almost a year and a half, I was REALLY hoping to see some type of progress or updates on HDTV. Shy of a few 'alpha' tests with AccessDTV and HiPix, there's been no glimmer of hope and no roadmap of any kind. If Sage was first out of the gates with a truly integrated HDTV/SDTV PVR solution, I really think it would've blown the doors off the competition and really established Sage as the premier provider of HTPC solutions. Alas, to a certain extent they're now in a "catch-up" position with the 800-pound gorilla who wants to own this market space.

And before I get crucified for being a traitor, I'm not trying to bash Sage - I'm trying to rattle the cage a bit and see if ANYONE is listening to the continual clamor for HDTV support. There are pages of posts, polls, and requests....followed by deafening silence from the boys at Sage.

Of course, this is my opinion only...worth roughly $0.015 on the open market.

Soapbox mode off....and flame suit on....

Jason
Old 10-13-2004, 01:12 PM

You need to convince Frey that the OTA HD market is large enough to justify them doing it. I know there are a lot of OTA users here, but personally everyone I know has HDTV and all are either cable or Satellite.

Plus other than that, the PVR functions in MCE are really basic.
Old 10-13-2004, 01:15 PM
SageTVaholic

I know what you mean rotaryracer, but it will be interesting to see just how big HDTV support in MCE is, there's not much on OTA HD that I want to watch.
Old 10-13-2004, 01:56 PM
SageTVaholic

I'd put full client support for Xbox/MVP/Roku-type devices ahead of HDTV support. I think Frey and the SageTV user base would get a much bigger bang for the buck.
Old 10-13-2004, 02:14 PM
Sage Expert

There is plenty of HD OTA in the Dallas area. Especially now that football season is underway. I hate the decision: PVR or HDTV. PVR won out most of the summer, but now that football season and the new fall premiers have hit, I'm more and more giving up the PVR and watching in HD.

Based on posts from a year ago (Dan referring to possible HD support within 6 months), I thought by now (double the 6 month estimate) we'd have an all in one PVR/HD solution. This is the only thing seriously missing from my HTPC. Of course I thought there would be mvp support by now as well. Anyway, it seems like things were moving much faster last year than they are now. Maybe it is just that the brothers are quiter now, but since May it seems that progress has been very slow....
Old 10-13-2004, 02:17 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbdude
You need to convince Frey that the OTA HD market is large enough to justify them doing it. I know there are a lot of OTA users here, but personally everyone I know has HDTV and all are either cable or Satellite.

Plus other than that, the PVR functions in MCE are really basic.
Frey might not have the resources to offer support for technology that do not have a large market, but...

- Would it be possible for Frey to open up SageTV just enough to offer the possibility for 3rd parties to create the support for different type of cards (HD or not) or other interfaces like firewire?

- Would it be possible for Frey to support MCE drivers?
Old 10-13-2004, 04:13 PM

Let see is MCE 2005 a SageTV killer

1: DVR-MS format still suck, Sure there are free ripper utilities have been around for a long time but that also mean you spent even long time to get anything done that if you get to works for you and dose not count the fact that most of Best Edited don't work well with DVD stream format.
You most likely not beable do any with HDTV file becuase there mostly going to be enbeded in same DVR-MS carp and pettey sure thoses free ripper utilities will not work.
2: Lack of FM recording.
3: No way to do custom recording profile so your SOL on doing VCD, MPEG1, SVCD, Program stream, etc recording not count the fact your stuck with it quality level setting.
4: MCE Record TV protected content from channel like HBO, etc know as CGMS-A -- Content Generation Management System for Analog for input like S-Video/Composite/Component and RF Tuner what dose this mean is you can record from HBO channel but what it mean you not be able play on other PC in the house becuase tired to that Main MCE system only you know that DRM carp and you must likely not beable burn as a reg DVD so guest what your not in control stop think about what happing if MPAA/Hollywood studios start force the iss in all broadcast to use this and Broadcast Flag carp OPS your SOL.
5: Lack of weather section.

cassis6 it all ready support MCE drivers in fact there is no diff form reg drivers vs MCE drivers other then MCE drivers are WHQL (Windows Hardware Quality Labs) aka Certified drivers.

Last edited by SHS; 10-13-2004 at 04:18 PM.
Old 10-13-2004, 04:30 PM
Sage Advanced User

That's funny, I was just coming on the forums to post about HD in Sage

With the release of TheaterTek 2 and the ability to time-shift .ts streams either over a network or locally, we have seen that it can be done with software.

Really all Sage needs to do is treat the HD card as a second tuner. There are MANY people who have a PVR-250 and MyHD combo in thier systems.

I would be super excited if Sage treated the MyHD card in my system as a tuner, downloaded guide data for OTA HD, and used all the 2-tuner SageTV PVR features with that card along with the PVR-250.
Old 10-13-2004, 04:35 PM
Sage Expert

FYI - the extender devices don't support HDTV
Old 10-13-2004, 08:17 PM
Sage Icon

Yeah, Gen1 Extenders will only be SDTV, NO HD. Now 2nd gen boxes maybe, and 2nd gen will most likely include DVD.

I beta'ed 2k5, it's nice, and has alot of slick features, but a Sage killer? Not hardly. the MS-DVR format is a pain in the neck to work with if you're not using their software. You can't just drop it into Nero and burn a DVD, you have to convert it with a little freeware utility, and with the 2k5 files, I never got a good conversion, always desynced the video/audio...
Old 10-14-2004, 04:14 AM
Sage User

Sage Killer it doesn't appear to be, but it does have some nice features (Including Weather Support). The Movie feature is a new and innovative way to search for good content. The fact that it is stable and user friendly out of the box is nice as well. The way it "could have been" a "Sage Killer" is if the support for the Media Extenders was what it should have been.

I have read that video from the extenders is amazing, even better than TV out of the MCE box. The problem is that the extenders cannot stream a DVD, VOD or "Protected channels" as stated above. Also it appears that the extenders have a very difficult time displaying 16x9 ratio.

I feel the main element Sage is lacking is the support for the Media MVP / Media Extenders or a simular device. These devices make connecting every tv in your house a viable solution. I cannot afford to build a pc for each one of my TVs. If I were to build a stand alone HTPC for one tv I would probably use MCE, but at this point Sage is much more flexible in the server aspect of the HTPC arena.

I don't believe OTA HD support is the main issue Frey should be focusing on, it is without a doubt support for "Media Extenders"

Just my 2cc,
-ST
Old 10-14-2004, 07:37 AM
Sage Advanced User

Cool....lots of interesting feedback. By no means am I an expert on MCE2005 and I definitely think there are areas where Sage excels, but here's my thoughts on some of the specifics mentioned:
  • HDTV - This is the be-all, end-all 'holy grail' for me (and from my searches, quite a few others). I've been patiently waiting for OTA HD support in Sage, but it doesn't seem there has been a whole lot happening. Yes, Sage needs to evaluate the business and make sure the HD support return is worth the investment in time and prioritization, but I'm having a tough time understanding why this is such a huge undertaking. Tony of GotTV fame (TV Plugin for myHTPC) had Fusion HDTV support close to a year ago (if not longer). And to help justify the return, I would happily pay an incremental $25 over the cost of my Sage license to support OTA HDTV. I'm sure there would be others that spend a few extra bucks as well, although in a perfect world it would be a free upgrade. Anyway, for now, ADVANTAGE - MCE2005
  • DVR-MS Recording Format - Yeah, it's proprietary and I'm sure it's not easy to work with, but since I never burn DVDs/VCDs of my recordings and only view them through Sage, it's a non-factor for me. Still, for those that do, ADVANTAGE - SAGE
  • FM-Recording - MCE2005 allows you to use a PVR-MCE with an FM tuner. I don't know whether it will record FM or not, but I haven't seen where Sage supports FM tuners at all. ADVANTAGE - MCE2005
  • Custom Recording Profiles - I don't adjust recording quality by favorite (I record everything at 5.6GB/hr), but it would be nice to have the flexibility if I wanted to. ADVANTAGE - SAGE
  • Remote Extenders/MVP Support - Aside from the community-developed beta MVP client, Sage is behind on this one. Yes, MS may not support HD and/or DVD over the extenders, but I only have one HDTV anyway. ADVANTAGE - MCE2005
  • Weather Support - This one's pretty close, since although Sage has a customized STV for weather, MCE supports News (which includes weather), Sports, Movies, etc. ADVANTAGE - Neither (Draw)
  • PVR Functionality - I've seen pop-up in a few MCE vs. Sage posts that the MCE support is 'basic'. Maybe I'm missing something, but I want my PVR to record shows manually, be able to record a series/favorites/season pass, differentiate first runs/reruns, pause live TV, and playback my recordings. AFAIK, both perform all of these functions. Sage does have some extra features such as 'Keep Until'/'Keep at Most', tweaking record quality, Intelligent Recording, etc. that I don't know if MCE does/doesn't have. Plus, Sage has a proven track record! ADVANTAGE - SAGE
So, is MCE2005 a 'Sage killer'? Maybe, maybe not. I think it depends on what features and functionality are important to you. I'd like MVP support, but it's not near as important to me as HD support. Although MCE2005 actually has more of the features/functions that I'm currently looking for, I will probably stick with Sage 1.4.10 until 2.X (please, don't let it be 3.x!) supports HD tuners.

One thing Sage may want to consider is a modular concept, similar to what they do with the Sage client. You want HD support? Add the $25 HD module. You want MVP support? Add the $25 MVP module. Yes, if you check off ALL the option boxes, Sage could start to get pretty spendy. An a'la carte menu would allow folks flexibility to purchase what they want, leave off what they don't, and drive quicker ROI for Jeff/Dan to justify investing the time/resources to get these features available.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Jason

Last edited by rotaryracer; 10-14-2004 at 07:46 AM.
Old 10-14-2004, 02:29 PM
Sage Icon

I have a feeling that if they added a MVP client to their items in the cart, we'd see a shortage of MVP's in stores and online, and that'd probably be one of the most purchased items in the Sage store for a while .

Also, I can't remember what package it was, be we tested a DVD burning package that was added to MCE, and ran from the MCE menus (I'm thinking Sonic but not 100% sure, will check later). With that you could burn your DVR files directly to DVD. It had to transcode them, and I never could get one to pump out (simply because I didn't want to wait the 2 or 3hours it was saying it was going to take to burn the show (a simple 2 hr show done on best quality, ended up being over 6g if I remember right).
Old 10-14-2004, 05:27 PM

DVD burning

I'm just learning about MCE2005's features. But, I thought MCE burns recordings to DVD through Sonic. You may not get as much control over the settings as with your favorite burn tool, but the capability is there.
Old 10-21-2004, 05:26 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotaryracer
DVR-MS Recording Format - Yeah, it's proprietary and I'm sure it's not easy to work with, but since I never burn DVDs/VCDs of my recordings and only view them through Sage, it's a non-factor for me. Still, for those that do, ADVANTAGE - SAGE
From what I've read, DVR-MS is NOT a "format". It is simply a wrapper around the MPEG2 content. MCE supports burning DVDs directly to DVD format via the GUI & remote without requiring a lengthy transcoding process, but there's a catch at the moment. The OEM software needed to do this is currently located on a 3rd MCE Multi-media Pack installation disc. This 3rd disc is ONLY supplied to "real" OEM system builders. If you buy the $130-$140 OEM copy at NewEgg, you will only be getting the 2 CD version. To get the DVD software located on the 3rd CD, you have 2 options. Option1, you have to buy a retail built MCE PC. Option2, you gotta buy the System Builder 3-license version of MCE costing over $400 at newegg. This System Builder package includes three MCE licenses(6 cds total) + the 3rd Multimedia pack CD (1 cd but licensed for 3 installs). After installing the 3rd CD, an option to MAKE A DVD appears under the More Programs menu. This option will let you burn TV recordings DIRECT to DVD in MPEG2 format. You can burn anything managed by MCE including TV shows, pictures and video.

I mentioned previously retail purchased MCE 2K5 PCs have this ability too. The problem is the Multi-media CD software is not licensed for distribution so system builders like HP and Gateway don't give you a copy of the CD (because it mostly contains store demo material). Therefore, it only comes preinstalled... meaning if you gotta reinstall your OS, you lose this capability. I've read that Sonic is offering a MCE DVD burning plug-in on their website. But reports say it just burns the MS-DVR file directly to the DVD. Kind of pointless huh?. Anyways, the current situation is that a RETAIL BUILT MCE 2K5 PC supports burning directly to DVD from WITHIN MCE. This is definitely a WIN FOR MCE, not Sage since Sage doesn't even support integrated burning. If you are comparing "home built" MCE PCs, then yes, you gotta convert from DVR-MS before buring to DVD. In this case, it's a Win for Sage. But you have to realize that Nero, RecordNow Max, and other packages are going to adding direct buring support soon for the DVR-MS format just like they did for MP3 and other formats. When that happens, it will be a DRAW between Home Built MCE boxes and Sage.

Quote:
Custom Recording Profiles - I don't adjust recording quality by favorite (I record everything at 5.6GB/hr), but it would be nice to have the flexibility if I wanted to. ADVANTAGE - SAGE
MCE is just like Tivo & Sage in that you must configure a default, global Recording Settings. Specifying a Recording Quality is part of the Global settings. Then when you record a Series ( same as Favorite in Sage, same as Season Pass in Tivo), MCE will use your global settings by default. If you want to override the default setting for this particular Series, just click the "Advanced Record" menu where you can specify Frequency (ie, FR, Repeats,ALL), Recording Quality, Start, End, and Keep Until settings. So it's ADVANTAGE - Neither (DRAW), not advantage Sage

Quote:
Weather Support - This one's pretty close, since although Sage has a customized STV for weather, MCE supports News (which includes weather), Sports, Movies, etc. ADVANTAGE - Neither (Draw)
If you're talking strictly about Weather Support, I don't really know. I don't use custom STV's in Sage so I don't know how they function. I do know MCE's weather plug-ins (plural, there many plugins available) are nice. Some can even display realtime satallite maps as well as give current conditions and 5, 10, 14 day forcasts with nice graphics and support for multiple countries and multiple languages.

If you're talking about extensibility in general, I think the SDK functionality within MCE is pretty powerful. Someone has already built a fully functioning DVD Media Library plugin to catalog, store and playback both ONLINE (ripped dvds in ISO format) and OFFLINE (dvd's not on HD). Someone has built a MCE Contacts plugin that interfaces with your address book. The same developer is building a File Manager Explorer plug-in and other applications. I personally don't really care about these exact plug-ins, but it shows what can be done within the MCE framework. IMO, I think MCE currently has a more robust SDK (maybe not simplier) for building full blown 3rd party applications. Maybe things will change if Studio ever gets released. For now, I'll leave judgment to each individual.

Quote:
  • PVR Functionality - I've seen pop-up in a few MCE vs. Sage posts that the MCE support is 'basic'. Maybe I'm missing something, but I want my PVR to record shows manually, be able to record a series/favorites/season pass, differentiate first runs/reruns, pause live TV, and playback my recordings. AFAIK, both perform all of these functions. Sage does have some extra features such as 'Keep Until'/'Keep at Most', tweaking record quality, Intelligent Recording, etc. that I don't know if MCE does/doesn't have. Plus, Sage has a proven track record! ADVANTAGE - SAGE
Like I said, MCE does have "Keep Until/Keep at Most" and "tweaking record quality" settings. It also supports Manual recordings and PVR trick play features just like Sage. It does "Sereis/Favorites/ Season pass" and can differentiate between FR/reruns, ALL, etc... It DOES NOT have intelligent recording though... but I don't care because I've never been able to get Sage's IR to listen to my commands. I got tired of teaching it over and over and over that I don't like Infomercials and Religious programs. I also don't like the TVGuide channel but Sage doesn't care. Isn't the point of a computer to follows your instructions?
ADVANTAGE - ???? Going just by the features you originally listed above, you have to pick Sage because MCE does not including IR. Personally, I think IR is horribly unusable in Sage for all but the most patient person... so I'd call this a DRAW when you ignore IR.

BUT... there are some neat PVR features in MCE that are missing from Sage. For example, in MCE's global DEFAULT RECORDING settings, it automatically defaults to padding the START and ENDING times if possible. To be more exact, it says... "START WHEN POSSIBLE:", then you can select "x MINUTES BEFORE". There's also a "END WHEN POSSIBLE:", and you can select "x MINUTES AFTER". What this does is automatically start & end pad ALL scheduled recordings automatically if and only if doing so doesn't conflict with another back-to-back show. I think this is a VERY COOL feature that SAGE should add immediately because some networks start shows early or late BUT DON'T tell the EPG data companies. The F/X network seems to do this randomly when I record Rescue Me.

Another really cool PVR feature is the Movies menu. Clicking movies causes MCE to automatically search though your EPG data then download the Movie Posters for all movies currently playing (ie. you can browse by movie covers). You can then search/sort this list by "On Now", "On Next", Actors/Directors, Genre, "Top Rated", and "Title Search". Now that is cool. It also automatically downloads cd album art and album data. This is added to your library for searching, sorting and browsing (browsing by album cover is also supported)

You can also buy movies via MCE's integrated Download On Demand service but I'll never use it. From what I've heard, the movies are compressed so I don't see the point. I'd rather walk across the street and rent the DVD.

Anyways, after considering these extra PVR feature I'll again leave it to the individual to decide what features are important.

Quote:
So, is MCE2005 a 'Sage killer'? Maybe, maybe not. I think it depends on what features and functionality are important to you.
I totally agree.
As I see it, the biggest pros and cons for Sage as as follows... Frey, you should look at these cons because microsoft IS coming....

SageTV:

Pros - there are MANY MANY pros to Sage so I'm not going to list them all in detail. I'm just going to hit the ones that differentiate it from most of the competition:
1 - by FAR AND AWAY Sage's biggest advantage is its ability to support more than 2 analog tuners. MCE is limited to 3, but only 2 can be analog.
2 - FULL PVR functionality meaning Live TV trick play, IR (but terrible A.I. IMO), full scheduling and recording functionality.
3. Free EPG. MCE is the same, but this is what's going to hurt, if not kill Tivo and Replay.

Cons - Sage doesn't have many serious cons, but it does have issues..

1. No DTV/HDTV support. THIS IS HUGE. Sage's biggest Pro right now will be it's BIGGEST Con in the future. At the end of 2006, those 5 PCI analog tuners in you box are going to be about as useful as a 9600 baud ISA modem. We all know DTV/HDTV has been mandated by law. Whether or not it's one or two or three years away, it doesn't matter. It is coming and it's not going away. Frey better get its roadmap together or risk being runover by MS and Tivo (with their new HDTivo units), and other newcomers

2. weak Music Library support. This is huge. You need a total package today to compete. Video only or Audio only isn't enough. And what about streaming radio or FM? What about satallite radio? You know it's coming to the PC eventually since it's already in the home.

3. No inexpensive H/W client support. This is going to be a killer for Sage. Tens of thousands of homes have xBoxs in them fully networked and connected to A/V centers with digital toslink and HiDef component outs. If $60-$80 can convert your XBox into a fully functioning, feature rich, mulitmedia center, why on earth would YOU NOT purchase a MCE computer the next time you went PC shopping? You gotta be nuts, especially now that retail MCE boxes will be dropping to the $500-$800 range. For those of us who build our own, why on earth would we spend $265 on a full retail version of WinXP Pro when we can buy a full OEM version of MCE (which is built on top of WinXP Pro) for $140 + $40 for the remote?

5. There are other minor grips about Sage... things like "working out of the box", stability issues related to h/w and s/w. For the most part I do think Sage is fairly reliable, especially once 2.1 gets all the bugs worked out. But I personally think Frey could benefit from partnering more closely with h/w & s/w vendors to help standardize on a set of "known good technologies" for at least the major components like Audio/Video decodes, video cards, and capture cards. I'm not bashing Sage. I like my Sage setup. Personally I didn't have nearly as much difficulty as did others in getting my Sage box up and running. But I know many people did, and I'm sure many ppl just gave up and left without complaining after trying the trial version. I just think Frey needs to look at trying to improve the "outta the box" experience". I know 2.1 is trying to address reliability and robustness so I'm happy about that. FYI, my MCE install took less than 45 min from installing the hardware and "formatting c:" to the point where I was watching TV. No conflicts. No h/w or s/w issues. No codec problems or lipsync issues... nothing. It just flat worked outta the box.

Anyways for now, I'm sticking with my Sage 2.0.20 install. It's running fairly stable with only the random lock-up/shutdown. For the time being, I'm content with continuing to test MCE2k5 as my Desktop machine. Once the XBox extenders come out, I'll have the full MCE experience in the living room along with Tivo and Sage.

Last edited by erics; 10-21-2004 at 06:49 PM.
Old 10-21-2004, 05:43 PM
SageTVaholic

Which company has already indicated that it has sold out to those who wish to prevent us from watching what we want when we want to watch it on the device of our choosing?

(hint: they're based in Redmond, WA)
Old 10-21-2004, 05:57 PM
Sage User

I'm not defending MS or anyone that supports DRM, but you have to realize that EVERYONE has to "sellout" because it's now (or will soon be) FEDERAL LAW!!! MS or Hauppauge or Sage or Snapstream or AverMedia, etc... are ALL going to have to "sellout" or risks loosing millions or even billions in lawsuits launched by content owners, content distributers and the United States Federal Government.
Old 10-21-2004, 06:03 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
EVERYONE has to "sellout" because it's now (or will soon be) FEDERAL LAW!!!
I don't think federal law will prevent us continuing to record analog video anytime soon. I'm happy enough with my PVR as it is, that I can reject all of the restrictions that come with digital video, until such time as the FCC takes it head out of its donkey. I just wish that I had the means to sell this concept to people. But if reasonable people cannot defeat idiots on the national stage of presidential elections then it is pretty much hopeless.
Old 10-21-2004, 06:07 PM
Sage Advanced User

erics, thanks for the info. What you put together was very informative.
Old 10-21-2004, 06:31 PM
Sage User

Oh, and just to be fair, these are some things I really hate about MCE 2k5.

1. This is TOP OF MY GRIPE LIST! I hate the FF speeds in MCE. It works like Tivo (ie.. you press the button once and it starts FFing, press again and it speeds up, press again...etc) Actually, that's the part I like and wish Sage did the same. What HATE is that FF Step1 is too slow. But FF Step2 is INSANELY TOO FAST!!! You always overshoot the show by minutes. I was told that MCE 2k4 did an automatic skipback after you hit play to compensate for reaction time (a la Tivo), but this ISN'T THE CASE IN MCE 2K5.

2. There doesn't appear to be a summary screen detailing why something DIDN'T get recorded or won't be recorded. This is called the TO DO menu in Tivo and is very useful in diagnosing why something didn't get recorded or why something did.

3. I think the Font in MCE's EPG is too big. It's very readable, but it really cuts down on the number of EPG lines displayed on screen. Also, because MCE's menus are Always visible on the Left side of the screen, it takes up space that could be used by the EPG. MCE also displays the currently playing media (cd, mp3, live tv, recording), when you are in the Menus or the EPG, so that also takes up space.

4. So far, I can't get MCE automatically update it's EPG data nightly. But that might be because I because I haven't registered my copy of XP with with MS yet. I'm assuming after I activate my OS, this will start working properly.

5. Some strange focus issues. I'm currently using MCE as my desktop machine. When I have MCE minimized, some functions work with remote but some functions don't. Also, behavior in general is strange. For example, MCE continues to play your media when you exit out of an area to go back into the menus (media displays in a small window in the lower left corner). So let's say I've got WMA playing and I go into the main TV management windows. When I press REW on my remote, nothing happens. Next track works and volume works, Play and Pause seem to only randomly work. If I stay in the Music menus, then everything works fine. It's just when trying to multi-task (ie, playing media in the background while accessing other sections of the MCE program) that I see this issue with the remote.

6. I haven't found an easy way to go in and change my video encoding settings (ie, VMR, Overlay, etc...) after completing initial setup. I've seen a 3rd party app that lets you adjust these settings, but MS should give you access to this without having to re-run Setup.

7. MCE doesn't have a network "showcases" feature like Tivo or a Suggestions (based on your previous ratings) like Tivo. I realize that "Showcases" is basically paid advertisment, but it generally highlights new upcomming programming. The SUGGESTIONS menu is really helpful in Tivo since these suggested programs are all based on your previous likes and dislikes but are shows you don't have scheduled to be recorded for whatever reasons.

8. The MCE remote is kinda annoying. The Transport buttons are small and poorly shaped. I'm constantly looking at the remote to determine if I'm pressing the correct button. I also REALLY REALLY REALLY hate having to press a separate physical BACK button to drill out of a menu. It's retarded!!! I just want to use the LEFT/RIGHT/UP/DOWN buttons to navigate through the menus like Tivo, and for the most, like Sage (some areas require you to press the BACK button in Sage)

9. They took away direct remote control access to My Pictures, My Music, etc... Now you gotta drill down through the main menu to access those areas of MCE. That is really annoying.

For now, that's all... Sure I'll think up more in the future.

Last edited by erics; 10-21-2004 at 06:40 PM.