SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 06-03-2003, 01:18 AM

Live TV over the internet?

Hi

I've searched the forum but can't find any info on whether Sage TV will eventually allow users to watch live TV remotely over the internet using a web-browser.
Is this option being considered in any future upgrades?

Regards

Tim
Old 06-03-2003, 08:10 AM

This I wouldn't count on unless you plan record MPEG1 all the time and need fast piple line like DSL 1.5 or better
Old 06-03-2003, 08:11 AM
SageTV Co-Founder

Technically you could do it already if you have a fast enough direct connection to home. One customer has viewed TV from home at work but he has a direct T1 connection from his office to home.
Old 06-03-2003, 06:05 PM
Sage Advanced User

A (A)DSL line is out of the question. Unless of course you get a SDSL line, but then it will be very expensive for very poor quality (1.5mbps wont buy you much quality relatively speaking). ADSL only gives you 768kbps upstream if you are very lucky, but most likely you will be capped at 128kbps or 256kbps up (at least in Pac Bell land). I assume that the most common scenario would be to watch TV from home at for example work, so the upstream speed would be the limiting factor.

My suggestion - get a cheap video capture card, connect your SageTV client to it, and use Windows Media Encoder 9 to encode the output and use that. It won't be pretty, but it is good enough for most things, I use it at 400kbps with decent quality over my DSL line (my upstream is capped around 520kbps or something though). I also used it successfully on a DSL line capped at 256kbps, although I had to cut the framerate in half to keep decent resolution.
Old 06-04-2003, 02:52 AM
Sage Advanced User

I know Windows 2003 Server has all the components you need, web server, both offline and realtime Windows Media Encoder etc. to exactly what you want. Downside is it's bulky and expensive beyond belief!

Try searching SourceForge or around the net and you might find someone has written or is working on a similar freeware concept.
Old 06-04-2003, 01:24 PM
Sage Advanced User

Well, Windows Media Encoder 9 is free, works fine on Windows XP/2000, and does not require a webserver. It does both live and offline encoding. I have an old laptop (PII-350) running Windows XP + Windows Media Encoder 9, to encode the images from my security cameras (24/7, with archiving), and it works fine.
As long as you have the clients pull data (as opposed to pushing to the server) from you, there is nothing else you need.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...r/default.aspx