SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 11-04-2004, 04:35 PM
SageTVaholic

Arrow STV Import: Weather Report Suite Discussion/Support

Please use this thread to discuss or seek support for Weather Report Suite (WRS).

Information about WRS can be found here: http://tools.assembla.com/sageplugin...herReportSuite

Thanks!

Last edited by salsbst; 05-28-2008 at 05:15 PM. Reason: updated link to the new/backup wiki
Old 11-04-2004, 05:05 PM
Sage Icon

Sure.

Would be nice to be able see the aniumated weather maps on the Media MVP. Obviously that would probably require transcoding the 5+ pictures into an MPEG or something. Not sure.

Would be nice if possible though.

Other than that, I love it.

Jason Bottjen
Old 11-04-2004, 05:07 PM
SageTVaholic

You're exactly right... would have to make a movie out of them. It is on my list of things to look at. If anyone has info on an easy (or not so easy) way to convert a set of GIFs to an MPEG2, I'm all ears. Would prefer it to be pure Java.

EDIT: people have reported that WRS is actually usable on MVPs using Matt's plugin. As shocked and pleased as I am, all I can say is, "how did he do that?"

Last edited by salsbst; 02-16-2005 at 06:19 PM.
Old 11-04-2004, 07:41 PM
Sage Icon

I get animated maps on the MVP. In fact, they're the same exact animated maps that I get on the sage server.

Stacy
Old 11-04-2004, 07:52 PM
SageTVaholic

Wow, that's pleasantly surprising, Stacy.

If you don't mind checking, I'd be interested in how fast your refresh is set at... most of the animations in the example config refresh at 0.75 seconds (3/4 of a second)... the U.S. National Satellite is set at 0.25 seconds....
Old 11-04-2004, 09:18 PM
Sage Icon

The links to the java extentions and the STV in the WIKI in your first post are broken...

Was trying to install it for my Media MVP client install (keep getting Failed to load WRS, blah blah), but can't d/l them as the links are broken.

Jason
Old 11-04-2004, 10:39 PM
Sage Icon

Very cool ... Always wished you had a thread of your own Salsbst ...

Hey Mr. Mod ... Why not link this to your "List of Customization Utilities" sricky?!

T.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:40 PM
Sage Fanatic

It personally took me a while to figure out the whole weather suite xml file thing, so to help anybody here in the Pacific North West I am posting my customized weatherconfig.xml file that includes...

Seattle High Level Info (Local Conditions)
Animated Area Radar (Washington, Northern Oregon, Northern Idaho, Western Montana)
Animated Metro Radar (Greater Seattle Area, Olympia to Everett)

(11-23-04 )Added Local Traffic Maps from WSDOT (North End, Bridges, South End) Changed some labels to better fit the buttons.

Every time I update my STV I just drop this one into the SageTV folder and over write the file to get my settings back.

Works for me on 2.1.10 with CayarsV21Cr2 STV

Enjoy! Hope it saves somebody some time.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Seattle Weather Suite.zip (3.5 KB, 1041 views)

Last edited by Humanzee; 11-24-2004 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Updated xml file
Old 11-04-2004, 11:04 PM
Sage Icon

Thumbs up Great Idea Humanzee !!

Let's start a library ...

Here's the LA Area ...

T.

EDIT: Added an updted config file that includes Traffic!
Attached Files
File Type: zip LA Area Weather Suite.zip (3.9 KB, 1041 views)
File Type: zip LA Weather Config with Traffic.zip (4.1 KB, 871 views)

Last edited by mightyt; 03-11-2006 at 03:34 AM.
Old 11-05-2004, 06:28 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
The links to the java extentions and the STV in the WIKI in your first post are broken...
Thanks, fixed.
Old 11-05-2004, 07:04 AM
Sage Icon

Attached here is my weatherconfig.xml file.

Stacy
Attached Files
File Type: zip weatherconfig.zip (3.7 KB, 998 views)
Old 11-05-2004, 08:19 AM
Sage Expert

UK weather weatherconfig

Her is my weatherconfig.xml

Anyone is welcome to use it - though don't expect much.

I am in London UK so it is biased that way.
Attached Files
File Type: zip weatherconfig.zip (3.4 KB, 1032 views)
Old 11-05-2004, 02:55 PM
Sage User

Boise area

Area, Regional, and Region listings for Boise, and Reno
Area, Metro, Regional, and Region listings for Seattle, Portland, Salt Lake, and San Francisco

Boise weatherconfig file
Old 11-05-2004, 03:01 PM
Sage Advanced User

Weatherconfig for SF Bay area, Providence RI, New York and Los Angeles. Includes NOAA Water Vapor for eastern and western US and local infra red images from WeatherBug.
Attached Files
File Type: zip weatherconfig.zip (4.1 KB, 1022 views)

Last edited by ellweber; 11-05-2004 at 03:04 PM.
Old 11-05-2004, 06:11 PM
Sage Icon

Ok, now I see where my weather + MediaMVP problem is!

For some reason I can't just arrow over onto the menu items that has the animated maps. I have to arrow over and then click OK...

I only have to do this on screens that have animated maps though! If I go from my National Conditions screen (that has an animated US precip map) back to the standard Local Conditions screen I can just arrow over. However to go from the Local Conditions screen back to my National Conditions screen I have to arrow over, and then hit OK...

Anyone know why I would have to hit OK instead of just arrowing over?

Oh, and just for the record, the maps look almost the exact same as they do on the PC. I guess the media MVP can refresh the screen fast enough after all! Cool. So never mind the turning it into an MPEG thing in post #2... Don't need it.

Jason Bottjen

Last edited by JasonJoel; 11-05-2004 at 06:15 PM.
Old 11-05-2004, 06:27 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
For some reason I can't just arrow over onto the menu items that has the animated maps. I have to arrow over and then click OK...
WRS works a little differently than most other (all?) menus as far as navigation goes.

The reasoning behind this design decision was that I wanted to limit the number of button presses required to navigate its menus, and to avoid the potentially long loading times of its menus if a user hasn't really decided to view the page (i.e. if the user is trying to skip over a menu item, I don't want to start the animation).

In short, it operates on a slight delay... if you focus on one of the left or top menu items more than briefly, it should load that page. Perhaps there is something about the way that WRS does this that is tripping up Matt's MVP client?

Since I don't have an MVP, I can't test it or really talk intelligently about what it does.
Old 11-15-2004, 10:22 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsbst
It wasn't abasu to whom I was referring, it was someone else who actually added a legend to the bottom of an image as an extra layer.
salsbst, don't know if you are referring to me, but I have attached my legends that I created from the legends found in the "radars" that are setup as defaults with WRS. All I did to use them was to edit the weather config file to show another layer and pointed WRS to look at these files...

just wanted to add that these files are transparent and will act as overlays to the downloaded radar images... the text may not be legible on a tv but the point was to get a general reference to what certain colors referred to how depending on it's location in the scale, how severe it is/will be
Attached Images
File Type: gif radar_key_area.gif (3.1 KB, 1201 views)
File Type: gif radar_key_metro.gif (2.9 KB, 1169 views)

Last edited by reboot_this; 11-15-2004 at 10:25 AM.
Old 11-15-2004, 10:54 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by reboot_this
salsbst, don't know if you are referring to me, but I have attached my legends that I created from the legends found in the "radars" that are setup as defaults with WRS. All I did to use them was to edit the weather config file to show another layer and pointed WRS to look at these files...

just wanted to add that these files are transparent and will act as overlays to the downloaded radar images... the text may not be legible on a tv but the point was to get a general reference to what certain colors referred to how depending on it's location in the scale, how severe it is/will be
Can you tell us how you added this to WRS. Maybe attach a copy of your XML and point us to the line additions you made ... Also where (what folder) did you place the GIF's in?

Thanks, T.
Old 11-15-2004, 06:01 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyt
Can you tell us how you added this to WRS. Maybe attach a copy of your XML and point us to the line additions you made ... Also where (what folder) did you place the GIF's in?

Thanks, T.
Well, instead of having everyone scroll through my xml file, I decided to do a screencopy of the area I edited and circle the actual changes I made...

you'll notice that there are black ovals around some things and then black rectangles are around others, ovals just indicate that the radar "feed" is an area or metro feed from the site which tell you which of the legend files (metro or area) to use on that particular radar, bringing us to the rectangles each "rectangled" text string relates to the previous "ovaled" info above it.

you'll also notice that there are red rectangles, these show the grouping of the xml for each individual radar map... don't let this scare you, all you need to do is locate similar strings in your weather xml file, scroll down to where you start seeing "<image href="http://www.nws.noaa.gov/forecasts/graphical/images/conus/MaxT7_conus.png"/>" or similar strings and you'll start seeing similar groups like mine

To keep the xml clean, click at the end of the line that is above the line containing "</view>" (see the arrow in my screenshot) hit Enter to go to the next line and insert the appropriate string below (depending on if the map is an area or metro map)

the text strings you will need are (without "" marks):
FOR AREA RADARS:

" <layer type="image" name="radar" href="file:/C:/Program%20Files/Frey%20Technologies/SageTV/STVs/OriginalV2/radar_key_area.gif" imageType="png"/>"

and FOR METRO RADARS:

" <layer type="image" name="radar" href="file:/C:/Program%20Files/Frey%20Technologies/SageTV/STVs/OriginalV2/radar_key_metro.gif" imageType="png"/>"

you'll need to place the legend files (attached) in the "OriginalV2" file for my location string to work, making sure that if you installed in a directory other than the default for sage you need to reflect those differences in the strings above (tip: "%20" means a space as in "Program Files"... see strings above)

don't be alarmed if at first you do not see the legend, it could be a number of errors... namely whether you have the right version of WRS and/or nielm stv that supports more than four layers, next check that the legend files are in the right directory, if you installed in a directory other than the default... you'll need to reflect those differences in the location string for the legend files, etc.

hopes this helps
Attached Images
File Type: gif screenshot of my weather xml file.GIF (138.0 KB, 1311 views)
File Type: gif radar_key_area.gif (3.1 KB, 1136 views)
File Type: gif radar_key_metro.gif (2.9 KB, 1078 views)
Old 11-20-2004, 10:29 AM
Sage Aficionado

Here is my configuration file for the Houston/Austin area. Also included is the Traffic map for Houston.
Attached Files
File Type: txt weatherconfig.txt (16.8 KB, 1002 views)