SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-07-2005, 03:17 PM

Frequency fine tuning

Just wondering if there's a way to manually tune channels in SageTV.

I noticed that on two of my cable channels, there is no sound, both in WinTv (hauppauge's program) and SageTV. All other channels work fine. I contacted Hauppauge and they managed to fix the problem in WinTV by having me tune the station manually by unchecking the AFT box, and slightly moved the fine tune slider to the right in the WinTV Suite Program.

However, there's still no sound in SageTV and I can't find a manual tune function in SageTV.

Thank you for your help!

Thomas
Old 01-17-2005, 11:05 PM
Sage Advanced User

SAGE FINE TUNE

Have you found a fine tune solution for Sage yet? I have found the same situation with my system (2 x PVR150's) and have one card that needs fine tuning on a few channels. I can get sound on all of the channels by using WinTV and fine tuning....Hmm... Another thread said that fine tuning was thought possible in SAGE...
It seems that fine tuning is a needed feature, esp. since it is an option supplied in the software of the card manf. Maybe if we use rabbit ears and get someone to hold them we won't need to fine tune : - )
Old 01-18-2005, 10:32 PM

nope, I haven't found a solution yet.

I'll let you know in this thread if I do.

Thanks!

Tom
Old 01-20-2005, 12:31 AM
Sage User

I assume wintv2000 works for you all ? Seem to be having a similar problem, hopefuly an answer is out there
Old 01-20-2005, 01:02 AM
Sage Advanced User

I have found a solution. I first checked all of my cables (no problems there), I then decided to try separating my PVR cards inside my HTPC by moving the second one to a PCI slot farther away. This helped by fixing 3 out of 4 of the channels without sound. I then still had 1 channel without sound on one of the PVR150 cards. After some browsing of the forums and much reading, I decided to edit the registry and tweek the fine tuning of the last channel. After the tweek...Everything is working!
The tweek was based on the fine tuning from the winTV(2000). The numeric indicator box next to the ATF checkbox in winTV (edit channel) shows the amount of fine tuning done by winTV {example: +6}. This number (it also can be found in the registry) is divided by 16, then multiplied by 1000000 (1x10E6) to convert it from MHz to Hz {example: 6/16x1x10E6 = 375000}. Finally, you take that product and add it to the decimal Hz value of the channel in question to get the new "tweeked" decimal value of the channel {example for USA cable channel 20 adding a +6 tweek from winTV: 157250000+375000=157625000 or 9652AA8 in hex). This new value can be added to the registry to replace the default one used by windows and SAGE TV. The registry location to place the information (continuing the example) is:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\TV System Services\TVAutoTune\TS0-1]
"20"=dword:9652AA8

which is for cable TV channel 20 in the USA.

I know this is not in the best detail, but I am rushing through it to get something out to you (it has been a long day). There are several threads and links that I would suggest reading (found with a search using keywords: frequency tune):
http://forums.sage.tv/forums/showthr...=&threadid=428
http://forums.sage.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=2205
http://forums.sage.tv/forums/showthr...?threadid=2042

AND provided through posts by member neilm (THANKS!)
http://www.snapstream.com/Community/...s/customorder/

AND provided through posts by member eurojojo (THANKS!)
http://www.prize.nl/software/freqcopy/
I did not use freqcopy because I was not certain of the automated reg edit. I like to know exactly what is going to be changed and didn't want all of the settings modified (over cautious???). I made manual edits to the registry for caution and simplicity (since I only had one freq left to modify). However, the freqcopy information was a must read.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have questions. I'll try to keep an eye on this thread.

-steve
Old 01-20-2005, 02:44 AM
Sage Icon

I don't even seem to have TV system services in my registry... Could these settings be located somewhere else?
Old 01-20-2005, 09:16 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheemer
I don't even seem to have TV system services in my registry... Could these settings be located somewhere else?
That registry key is not always in the registry to begin with. I believe it is sometimes there because another program has created it for some reason. For example, my HTPC which is an XP Home (gasp! what an oversite that was) operating system, did not have that key until I created it. But, my main computer which is an XP Pro, did. When it was time to tweek the freq's in my HTPC I just created the new key and settings in it's registry.

Just a warning to anyone reading: you can mess up your computer by screwing up the registry. So always take care, and make backups before you make changes. However, if you know what you are doing and are careful, the registry is not difficult to work with.

-steve
Old 01-20-2005, 10:46 PM
Sage User

Thanks Para that was enough to get me on my way..

When i played with the fine tunner in Wintv it told me my offset was 0 (in theroy it was spot on) so I used a slightly diffrent process.

1) visited this web page Cable Tv Channel Frequencys to find out what frequency I should be using.
2) I verfied it looked correct by using the all mode in wintv.
3) Created the [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\TV System Services\TVAutoTune\TS0-1] key
4) created the 99 dword
5) added the value 115250000 (decimal) to he dword
6) tested 99 in sage it looks as bad as before
7) up the value by 115500000 test in sage it looks better
8) up the value a bit more to 115750000 looks great in sage

I dont know if I should be worried about why the exact same value looked diffrent in sage then wintv, (should I file a bug report on it) all i know is after 6 months I can record zed and have it look good. thanks to all who figured this one out.

Last edited by puttermouse; 01-21-2005 at 09:46 AM.
Old 01-21-2005, 02:18 AM
Sage Icon

What's with both of you stating "TS0-1]"? Isn't that square close bracket a mistake?

I found this entry alread on my client box and there's a binary entry in there already as "Autotune", do I delete this?

Thanks guys!
Old 01-21-2005, 04:49 AM
Sage Icon

Just an update, after getting the correct frequency of my channel 14 from wintv, which was slightly different than the standard, although no auto tuning adjustment was made. I added the registry settings here and everything is now working perfectly. I'm very happy about this. Thanks for all you help guys.

I had previously tried new cables and a cable amp too...
Old 01-21-2005, 09:27 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheemer
What's with both of you stating "TS0-1]"? Isn't that square close bracket a mistake?

I found this entry alread on my client box and there's a binary entry in there already as "Autotune", do I delete this?

Thanks guys!
Sorry for the confusion. The Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 puts those in the .reg file when you export something. I guess it uses them for some kind of internal parsing? Anyway, I just cut and pasted the example lines from an exported .reg file and didn't remove them from my posts.

Concerning the binary entry, I am uncertain. What does it say? If it says "(Default) REG_SZ (value not set)". Just leave it there and contine with you additions/changes. If you have deleted it, I would consider putting it back, since I think if (for some reason) your other entries are removed under that key, the (default) is wanted by Windows.

And after reading your last post on this thread, I see all is well. Great!
I am very glad you have it working!
-steve
Old 01-23-2005, 02:56 PM
Sage User

Newbie help

Ok,
I've been trying to understand this all afternoon. In my case with comcast cable in Charleston Sc. I cannot get sound on channels 14-25. Now If I use wintv and adjust the fine tuning slider +7 on those channels I have sound in Wintv not sagetv. Can someone explain to my in laymans terms exactly what I need to add to the TSO-1 section of my registry to get the sound in sagetv.

Thanks In Advance!
Old 01-23-2005, 10:24 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltlyck
Ok,
I've been trying to understand this all afternoon. In my case with comcast cable in Charleston Sc. I cannot get sound on channels 14-25. Now If I use wintv and adjust the fine tuning slider +7 on those channels I have sound in Wintv not sagetv. Can someone explain to my in laymans terms exactly what I need to add to the TSO-1 section of my registry to get the sound in sagetv.

Thanks In Advance!
Given: you are in Carlston Sc., you are tuning into analog cable TV, and you want to apply a +7 (winTV) tweek to the standard freq's for cch14-cch25.

you should

Exit all programs using the tuner card.

Copy and paste the following (shown in the color) to notepad:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\TV System Services\TVAutoTune\TS0-1]
"14"=dword:740CDCC
"15"=dword:79C5B4C
"16"=dword:7F7E8CC
"17"=dword:853764C
"18"=dword:8AF03CC
"19"=dword:90A914C
"20"=dword:9661ECC
"21"=dword:9C1AC4C
"22"=dword:A1D39CC
"23"=dword:CF9A5CC
"24"=dword:d55334C
"25"=dword:dB0C0CC

Save the notepad file to something descriptive like: Custom_cch(14-25)+7.reg
make sure that it saves as a .reg file and not a .txt file. If it saves as a .txt file then just rename it to a .reg extension.

Right click on the file and select EDIT. Check the file contents to make sure it matches what you intended (shown above). Please note I can't promise that there were no mistakes (copy, paste, editing, or on my part), so just make sure you have backups of your registry and a system save point in XP.

When the file is correct, execute it (double click) and select YES if you want to add the information to the registry (it won't work if you don't ).

The new information should have been added to the registry and channels 14 through 25 were tweeked by +7 (WinTV which is equal to +437500 Hz). Try out your new settings (should be no need to reboot) and see if they are satisfactory.

Any one (or all) of the added "dword" lines can be deleted from the registry if they are unsatisfactory.

I'll try to keep an eye on the thread. Good luck!
-steve
Old 01-27-2005, 01:07 PM
Sage User

Thank YOu Thank You!

Now I have sound and it is awesome. Thank you so much I've been trying to get this for a few weeks now.

One thing though. I would like to tweak 2 channels. 17 and 21 back to +4,5, or 6. If you could post those hex numbers I would be forever gratefull.
Old 01-27-2005, 08:09 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltlyck
Now I have sound and it is awesome. Thank you so much I've been trying to get this for a few weeks now.

One thing though. I would like to tweak 2 channels. 17 and 21 back to +4,5, or 6. If you could post those hex numbers I would be forever gratefull.
Glad to help.

I am thinking about writing a program to do all of this but I haven't had much time lately. It really shouldn't be a big deal though. I'll try to make it available when I get it done. 'till then...

Please Note:
!!These are NOT in registry format!! They are just to provide hex values.

for Channel# 17:
Base Freq is 84cc950
the 17(+4 winTV) Freq is 85099E0
the 17(+5 winTV) Freq is 8518E04
the 17(+6 winTV) Freq is 8528228

for Channel#21:
Base Freq = 9baff50
the 21(+4 winTV) Freq is 9BECFE0
the 21(+5 winTV) Freq is 9BFC404
the 21(+6 winTV) Freq is 9C0B828

Hope this helps. If you have problems let me know.
Old 02-15-2005, 01:56 PM
Sage User

I am having a problem with 1 channel not getting a good signal. The sound is fine, but the picture has horizontal lines of distortion. Could these tweaks help my problem, or is this just for the sound?
Old 02-15-2005, 01:58 PM
Sage Icon

I used these tweaks to improve picture quality. There was a big difference. Sometimes the frequency Sage chooses isn't the same as the optimal frequency, try adjusting it slightly and see.
Old 02-15-2005, 02:51 PM
Sage User

Para (or anyone)
Could you please provide a couple of values for Channel 9? Please provide +4,+5,and +6. Thanks!!
Old 02-15-2005, 11:36 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcampano
Para (or anyone)
Could you please provide a couple of values for Channel 9? Please provide +4,+5,and +6. Thanks!!
Here you go:
!!These are NOT in registry format!! They are just to provide hex values. - stock disclaimer
For Channel# 9 (U.S. Cable Channel 9)
Base Freq is = B293550
the cch9 (+4 winTV) freq = B2D05E0
the cch9 (+5 winTV) freq = B2DFA04
the cch9 (+6 winTV) freq = B2EEE28

Hope this helps.
-steve
Old 03-04-2005, 11:01 AM
Sage User

TS0-1?

should manually tuned registry key always be TS0-1? would the '0' be another number if the mmc/region line in sage.properties is set to something else?