SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 11-07-2006, 11:58 PM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via MSN to neilbradley
Please change/fix these issues!

I have two recurring issues with SageTV that I would absolutely *LOVE* to see fixed/enhanced:

1) I've turned on aggressive profiling, but SageTV still insists on recording Full House, the Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air, and a few other TV shows that I've never watched. Same with "Paid programming". Can we get a feature that says "If this string is an exact match or a sub match, don't ever record it"?

2) Add a feature called "Add newly added channels automatically" so I can tell SageTV to not add channels that change or get added to my Dish Network's lineup. I keep getting that stupid "Not subscribed" message and I don't find out about it for quite a while afterward.

Thank you!
Old 11-08-2006, 12:49 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbradley
I have two recurring issues with SageTV that I would absolutely *LOVE* to see fixed/enhanced:

1) I've turned on aggressive profiling, but SageTV still insists on recording Full House, the Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air, and a few other TV shows that I've never watched. Same with "Paid programming". Can we get a feature that says "If this string is an exact match or a sub match, don't ever record it"?
I take it you have set "Don't Like" for all these shows? I have not seen this problem much (it happens occasionally, no big deal for me) since enabling negative profiling...
Old 11-08-2006, 06:04 AM
Sage Aficionado

"Don't Like" on Full House? I don't understand this logic!
Old 11-08-2006, 06:20 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
There is an anti-favourites plugin in the customisations forum that should do the job.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:37 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via AIM to kricker Send a message via MSN to kricker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark SS
There is an anti-favourites plugin in the customisations forum that should do the job.
That's true, but if you have already told Sage that you 'don't like' a show it shouldn't keep trying to record it with intelligent recording. I wouldn't call that very intelligent. I suffer from the same problem, maybe it's because of my large list of favorites.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:10 AM
Sage Expert

Totally agree. You'll find there have been dozens of threads on the subject in the past and plenty of us begging for a 'Never record this show' feature to be added.

It would seem that categories are a significant part of the equation for IR. So, if you watch lots of shows in a particular category, the show you keep marking as 'don't like' can end up being weighted back into favour.

I have IR turned off but use the 'Intelligent Suggestions' plugin to review the shows IR would record and then set manual records for those I want to see. I also use nielm's web server to bulk mark shows as 'don't like' which helps to improve the suggestions.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:07 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
2) Add a feature called "Add newly added channels automatically" so I can tell SageTV to not add channels that change or get added to my Dish Network's lineup. I keep getting that stupid "Not subscribed" message and I don't find out about it for quite a while afterward.
Please, please, please implement this feature! I've had to turn off intelligent recording because of this problem.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:17 PM
SageTVaholic

It took me months of marking hows as "Don't Like" to get IR working properly. Having said that, it now works great and only occasionally records something really screwy. I also have found Nielm's Intelligent Suggestions an excellent IR "training" tool. I look at what IR is planning to record then mark all the stuff I am not interested in as "Don't Like". Works like a charm. After several weeks of that you can even turn off aggressive negative profiling.

Being the fussy bugger I am, I still wold like to see a "Don't ever record this" option. I have not fooled around much with flachbar's anti-favorite import but it seems promising.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.

Last edited by tmiranda; 11-08-2006 at 08:20 PM.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:49 AM
Sage Advanced User

I've said "Don't like" to *EVERY* episode of Full House, Fresh Prince, Drake & Josh, and many other schlocky late 80s/early 90s shows (including some tweeny crap currently on the air) and have been for over 6 months now. It'll go away for a while, but like a corpse that isn't properly tied to a weight when it's thrown in a lake, it keeps popping back up.

Plus, I never want it to record "Paid programming", and I can't count how many times I've told it thumbs down. It keeps getting recorded!
Old 11-10-2006, 08:16 AM
SageTVaholic

I'd love to see this feature as well, but as already mentioned you can use the anti-favorite import to prevent IR from recording certains shows.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:17 AM
Sage Advanced User

I am not sure this will help, but have you tried aggressive negative profiling?
Old 11-10-2006, 11:45 AM
Sage Advanced User

You don't like "Paid programming"? Try watching it at 3:30 AM. Around that time those things start to seem like a good idea!

Err.. yes, I swore off drinking. Why do you ask?
Old 11-10-2006, 06:40 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I've said "Don't like" to *EVERY* episode of Full House, Fresh Prince, Drake & Josh, and many other schlocky late 80s/early 90s shows (including some tweeny crap currently on the air) and have been for over 6 months now. It'll go away for a while, but like a corpse that isn't properly tied to a weight when it's thrown in a lake, it keeps popping back up.

Plus, I never want it to record "Paid programming", and I can't count how many times I've told it thumbs down. It keeps getting recorded!
Do you ever watch live TV with SageTV? That can really mess up IR. I've been using IR for a couple years and it rarely puts up something that doesn't make sense. Every once in a while if I find some new show I like and start recording it can fire off a small "burp' in IR where it will suddenly find new things to put in IR. I.E. say I start recording Family Guy, it may start thinking I like anything animated. So you just take at least one episode of each show as "Don't Like" and within a day they're all gone.

Moral of the story...... just say NO to live TV!!!!
Old 11-10-2006, 07:57 PM
Sage Advanced User

OK, seriously...

Once in a while it happens that I fall asleep while watching a movie that was being recorded at the time. When that happens, I wake up to 100 junk recordings, and the IR gets so messed up that I rather delete the wiz.bin than try reeducating it. I wish there was an option to tell SageTV not to treat the show I am currently watching as live TV. Or at least not treat it as live if I am watching at a position say more than 20 minutes behind live.

I also wish I could freely surf channels without having SageTV draw any wrong conclusions about that. Maybe the IR should completely disregard anything that I am watching for say less than 10 minutes or so. There can even be a setting for that.

Last edited by Patilan; 11-11-2006 at 02:30 AM.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:19 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via AIM to kricker Send a message via MSN to kricker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patilan
...I also wish I could freely surf channels without having SageTV draw any wrong conclusions about that. Maybe the IR should completely disregard anything that I am watching for say less than 10 minutes or so. There can even be a setting for that.
I like that idea, and even maybe just use your favorites as the IR basis, and forget LiveTV all together. I do not watch live TV because of this behaviour (well that and the fact that we always have something recorded to watch instead).
Old 11-13-2006, 02:34 AM
Sage Advanced User

Yes, I have aggressive negative profiling turned on, and it doesn't help. Things like Fresh Prince go away for a while, then back again. I've had negative profiling turned on for months now. GRrr!! If you tell it "don't like" repeatedly, it absolutely should not, under any circumstances, start recording it!!! ARRGGH!!!