SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 02-14-2007, 01:08 PM
SageTVaholic

What's with all of the rediculously low download ratings?

I was just looking at some items in the downloads section and noticed that many of them now suddenly have D and F ratings. I know it doesn't really matter, but what's the deal? It looks like someone was disgruntled and plastered all of the downloads with low grades. It was a little disheartening to see all of my hard work rated as D's.

I guess I'll go sulk now until my bruised ego heals.

Aloha,
Mike

Last edited by MeInMaui; 02-14-2007 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:21 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInMaui
I was just looking at some items in the downloads section and noticed that many of them now suddenly have D and F ratings. I know it doesn't really matter, but what's the deal? It looks like someone was disgruntled and plastered all of the downloads with low grades. It was a little disheartening to see all of my hard work rated as D's.

I guess I'll go sulk now until my bruised ego heals.
Don't take it too hard, looks like this troll went through almost all of 'em
Guess all those ratings are just garbage now

Dirk
Old 02-14-2007, 01:30 PM
Administrator

Yeah, obviously there was a recently disgruntled forum member who has nothing better to do with his time.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:33 PM
SageTVaholic

Andy, is there any way to figure out who that was and undo those bogus ratings?

If not, it shouldn't take that many honest ratings to outweigh the bogus ones and restore some degree of meaning to the grades. So if you haven't yet rated your favorite plugins, now might be a good time to do so.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:33 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by flachbar
Don't take it too hard, looks like this troll went through almost all of 'em
Guess all those ratings are just garbage now

Dirk
Ok, I'm over it.

Anyone want to go troll hunting? I have plenty of sticks and bags for everyone.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:55 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick
Andy, is there any way to figure out who that was and undo those bogus ratings?
There isn't much question in my mind who did it... it is just a matter of whether it can be undone. Probably not, but such is life when immature people are allowed to play on the internet. Besides, they could sign up & do it again. We get to have fun like this with forum members from time to time.

BTW: did anyone notice when the ratings changed?

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:00 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
There isn't much question in my mind who did it... it is just a matter of whether it can be undone. Probably not, but such is life when immature people are allowed to play on the internet. Besides, they could sign up & do it again. We get to have fun like this with forum members from time to time.

BTW: did anyone notice when the ratings changed?

- Andy
I noticed one of my downloads had a very low rating about a week ago, but I just thought someone legitimately thought it deserved that. I didn't notice the large scale problem until this morning. So my best guess is maybe a week ago. Sorry I couldn't be any more help.

Aloha,
Mike
Old 02-14-2007, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Until we have the time to look into changing the bad grades, there are no ratings in the downloads area.

If I missed anything referring to grade or rating on any portion of the downloads area, let me know.

- Andy
Old 02-14-2007, 03:32 PM
Sage Aficionado

Tough some may disagree with my assessment, do we even need ratings for downloads?

Ok, I certainly understand their purpose, but give the nature of most of the SageTV addons, it's really a matter of the user deciding what mix works best with his setup. I don't think the ratings are really that meaningful, because all of the customizations are useful to at least some users. Besides, all you have to do is look at the post counts on the associated threads to determine popularity!

HTPC: AMD ASUS M2N-E Socket AM2 Motherboard; Athlon 64 3200+ Orleans 2.0GHz; 2GB RAM; eVGA 256MB Geforce 7300LE; 1x40GB IDE HDD (OS), 2xSeagate Barracuda 320GB SATA HDD (Recordings); Antec Overture II Case; Windows XP Pro SP2; SageTV v6.5
STV: SageMC
Video sources: Currently, none. I'm using SageTV for Music, Photos, and Video playback.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:35 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarr
Tough some may disagree with my assessment, do we even need ratings for downloads?

Ok, I certainly understand their purpose, but give the nature of most of the SageTV addons, it's really a matter of the user deciding what mix works best with his setup. I don't think the ratings are really that meaningful, because all of the customizations are useful to at least some users. Besides, all you have to do is look at the post counts on the associated threads to determine popularity!
I tend to agree with your assessment. Most downloads were not rated to begin with.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Hey - he did us a favor then... I'll bet that gives him a real sense of accomplishment.

- Andy
Old 02-14-2007, 03:57 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Hey - he did us a favor then... I'll bet that gives him a real sense of accomplishment.

- Andy
We can send him a thank you card if you tell us who it was.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:08 PM
Administrator

Oh, I'm fairly sure he's following the forum, so no extra thanks are needed.

- Andy
Old 02-15-2007, 12:55 AM
Sage Icon

Personally I find "number of times downloaded" as a good gauge on interest, quality of product and developer. At least it motivates me to try it on for size ...

My theory is, if you build it, and it's good, they will come ... The word about good downloads spreads pretty well ... Star Ratings are a usually setup for people to rant without words.

T.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:14 AM
Administrator

Oh sure... mention another way to mess up the ratings. The next thing you know, he'll download them all enough times to get all of them up to the 12,891 downloads of Niel's webserver. How would we tell what is most popular then!?

- Andy
Old 02-16-2007, 01:15 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Oh sure... mention another way to mess up the ratings. The next thing you know, he'll download them all enough times to get all of them up to the 12,891 downloads of Niel's webserver. How would we tell what is most popular then!?

- Andy

You may be right ... some people have way too much time on their hands

Maybe you can set up ratings such that if a certain person (won't mention any names) clicks a poor rating, the system posts the opposite results. The same person could however post a good rating. This way they will be frustrated with the end result and give up !!!
Old 02-17-2007, 08:12 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyt

You may be right ... some people have way too much time on their hands

Maybe you can set up ratings such that if a certain person (won't mention any names) clicks a poor rating, the system posts the opposite results. The same person could however post a good rating. This way they will be frustrated with the end result and give up !!!
Maybe if a "certain person" logs in, it immediately logs them off.
Old 02-17-2007, 12:13 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynedunham
Maybe if a "certain person" logs in, it immediately logs them off.
Yeah good idea ... Call Blocking!
Old 02-17-2007, 01:09 PM
SageTVaholic

Nah, I have a better solution...

Pay-per-Click
Old 02-18-2007, 11:28 PM
Sage Aficionado

I dont fully unerstand the point of the ratings, I sorry if the is a dumb question, But can someone explain the point of the rating as opposed to just a good description and post about it in the forum?

I mean you have to read the forum anyway to properly use most plugins, In doing so you would more than likely get a good idea if the plugin is anygood.