SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 02-19-2007, 11:34 AM
Sage User

No HD playback stutter in VMR9 for me but...

...the picture shows up in black and white?? HD playback works in its full glory in Overlay mode (with good picture quality too, for me at least) but I really like the transparent OSD in VMR mode. Seems like most people get some HD stutter in VMR, and a lucky few are problem-free but my case is a first. SD playback works fine in VMR.

I have been running Sage since its early days and have been on v2 for about 3 years w/no issues, but recently I decided it was time to upgrade my PC and to go HD. Knowing that v6 is problematic for some people, I'm running a 15-day trial on Sage v6.0.19 on WinMCE SP2b, 3800+ X2, 1GB RAM, Java 1.5 and an Nvidia 7300GS (93.51 drivers) w/HDMI out. CPU utilization is low in either mode (25-30%). Last night, I was watching a pre-recorded episode of Cold Case HD in 1080p (Overlay) on my 40" LCD TV while my wife was surfing web on the PC (using a separate monitor, of course) and TV playback remains stutter free. It is stutter free in VMR too but no color. Then, the scheduled anti-virus scan came on...but still no stutter.

I have a Hauppauge PVR350 (TV-out disabled), and a HDHR. I use the Intervideo video decoder. SageTV Service is off. VSE on/off makes no difference. I'm a bit reluctant to try major tweaks (Java 1.4, v6 RC, etc) cos I guess I'm really only fussing about the transparent OSD. Everything else works fine (DVD playback in Sage, good stability, low CPU, etc) and I'm hoping someone knows a setting (in properties file perhaps?) that I could change to fix this problem.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:00 PM
Sage Aficionado

Submit a bug report. I don't know the answer and it sounds like a first to me.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:36 AM
Sage User

Ok, I submitted a bug report and was told to try Cyberlink/Nvidia decoders. After installing the 30-day trial Purevideo decoders, I still couldn't get color in HD playback under VMR mode. On a whim, I thought maybe my dual display setup is wrecking havoc here (I read somewhere that there are some known issues with Nvidia's Forceware drivers wrt Dualview performance). I had set my TV as the primary display with the PC monitor designated as secondary display. So I tried switching it around (i.e. TV = secondary display). Guess what, though that didn't fix the color problem, CPU utilization shot up to 50-60%, from 15-20% before (ok, I cited 20-30% in my first posting but that was before the Hauppauge registry hack). Sage UI became very sluggish and video playback was clearly degraded (e.g. good audio w/black screen in overlay mode). I rebooted the PC and switched the TV back as primary display and voila, I got fast UI response and low CPU utilization again!! And the best part (short lived) is that I now get color in HD playback under VMR mode (using either Intervideo NonCSS or Nvidia decoders)!! Unfortunately though, I now get slight stutters in VMR mode AND the colors look faded when compared to Overlay?! So I'm back to square one...non-transparent OSD but good, stable playback in Overlay mode. Makes me wonder why VMR playback was black-and-white and stutter-free before and now it's color with a slight stutter. More importantly, I keep reading these posts about HD stutter in Sage v6 but no stutter when played back outside Sage - is the playback outside Sage on the primary display while Sage playback is on the secondary display? Just thinking out loud here...

Just uninstalled Purevideo and rebooted - VMR is still in color but the slight stutter persists.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:43 AM
Sage User

Shucks! I rebooted once more and Sage lost my PVR350 analog tuner. Now I get an error message Sage.PlayBackException: ERROR (-4, 0x8004022f). Tried re-installing Sage but got an error 1904. Tried re-adding the video source but Sage simply won't accept the analog tuner feed. Now I recall why I was reluctant to try major tweaks in the first place... Gotta sleep now...
Old 02-23-2007, 07:02 AM
Sage Aficionado

I lost my pvr150 card somehow when I made a change with my video card. To get it back I ended up removing the drivers and reinstalling them and it came back and Sage found it once again.