SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 02-24-2007, 02:56 AM
Sage User

NAS or USB HD? WD My Book World II?

Which is faster, a USB or an Ethernet NAS drive? I just saw the following NAS drive is gonna be out soon:

Western Digital Terabyte My Book World Edition™ II
http://www.mygadgetinfo.com/tags/nas/

It sounds good I think...can access it from anywhere via the internet and it just shows up as a local drive in Windows Explorer. But maybe all NAS drives can do that ....I've never had anything but an internal drive.
I was thinking that when I get my laptop this summer and get Sage placeshifter that if the connection isn't good enough away from home, I can just download the vid file from this NAS drive and play it locally!

Anyway, I'm in the market for some sage storage and would like your advice.

Thanks.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:26 AM
SageTVaholic

I personally prefer a NAS over USB, since if the drive is going to be external, it seems like a waste to require a PC for it to work. With a NAS, you just plug it in, stick it on the network and you're done. As for which is faster, Gigabit Ethernet has ~ 2x the bandwidth of USB 2, but I've never directly compared the two.

Quote:
and it just shows up as a local drive in Windows Explorer.
I don't know if that uses special software (which I hate) but you can map network shares to local drive letters in Windows.

One thing to consider is that most of these cheap NAS boxen use RAID-0 (or spanning) to achieve their high capacities.

Personally I'm quite fond of the ReadyNAS line from Infrant Technologies. If I remember correctly you can configure a ReadyNAS with up to 2TB of redundant storage. Of course they're more than the MyBook.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:08 AM
Sage User

Thanks for the reply!

I think the My World has two 500GB drives in it that can be 1TB or redundant 500GB, and I think the software lets it show as a local drive even if the laptop is away from the local network but does have internet access.

Should I get that ReadyNAS instead? What are its benefits? Is it faster? Will any of these drives work OK for direct sage recording to the drive?

Thanks