SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 09-28-2007, 12:32 PM
Sage Icon

I dunno what else to try.

Maybe just to test, set it to Overlay and turn off "overlay color keying" to see if you get any captions. Maybe you need to re-install purevideo after you do a video card change?

As for .smi captions, I dunno why they wouldn't work. I don't know of any special settings needed for those other than if on a client, the client needs direct access to the .smi files via drive mapping or UNC paths.

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:11 AM
Sage Fanatic

I got my SageTV up and running using PVR500 / PowerDVD7 Decoder / VMR9 Overlay and it have a nice smooth Closed Caption.

I am wondering if there any additional benfits on this CC plugin over the SageTV default or does it work in conjunction with the SageTV CC?

Thank you
Bill
Old 09-29-2007, 12:28 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechBill View Post
I got my SageTV up and running using PVR500 / PowerDVD7 Decoder / VMR9 Overlay and it have a nice smooth Closed Caption.
cool.

Quote:
I am wondering if there any additional benfits on this CC plugin over the SageTV default or does it work in conjunction with the SageTV CC?

Thank you
Bill
The benefits of the CC plugin is that it allows you to do .smi captioning, if you need that. Some reasons for that would be if you converted your mpegs into .avi's or another compact formula. You lose your caption on conversion. With an .smi file made from the mpeg before the conversion, you will still have CC when you watch your new .avi files.

Any DVD rips that you might have, if you put the subtitles/CC into an .smi file, you can then view them with the plugin.

The MVP and placeshifter can't use the embedded CC in the mpeg files, but can use the .smi CC files, if created.

Another reason is that Sage can't use any CC that is in a Digitally captured file. The CC is there, but Sage can't use it. With ccextractor, you can extract the CC out and put it in an .smi file for the imprt to use.

And the last reason is that you can set up the plugin to "auto-CC on mute" or set up a Custom button on the remote to toggle Captioning ON/OFF if that is important to you. YOu could use these features without ever thinking about an .smi file and just using the embedded captions.

Last edited by ke6guj; 09-29-2007 at 12:31 AM.
Old 09-29-2007, 03:07 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
cool.

The benefits of the CC plugin is that it allows you to do .smi captioning, if you need that. Some reasons for that would be if you converted your mpegs into .avi's or another compact formula. You lose your caption on conversion. With an .smi file made from the mpeg before the conversion, you will still have CC when you watch your new .avi files.

Any DVD rips that you might have, if you put the subtitles/CC into an .smi file, you can then view them with the plugin.

The MVP and placeshifter can't use the embedded CC in the mpeg files, but can use the .smi CC files, if created.

Another reason is that Sage can't use any CC that is in a Digitally captured file. The CC is there, but Sage can't use it. With ccextractor, you can extract the CC out and put it in an .smi file for the imprt to use.

And the last reason is that you can set up the plugin to "auto-CC on mute" or set up a Custom button on the remote to toggle Captioning ON/OFF if that is important to you. YOu could use these features without ever thinking about an .smi file and just using the embedded captions.

Ok sound like something I want to install then. Thank you for the brief summary and I am convicted to add it to my SageTV!

Thanks
Bill
Old 09-30-2007, 08:51 AM
Sage Fanatic

Does this module works in latest SageMC?

I tried installing it using SageMC Import STVi but going to the Detailed Setup in SageMC does not show any CC setup in the Customize so I am wondering if I need to take one of those Application Package file I think that was created when I imported SageTV3-1.xml and rename it to SageTV3.xml?

Bill
Old 09-30-2007, 09:53 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

I tried installing it using SageMC Import STVi but going to the Detailed Setup in SageMC does not show any CC setup in the Customize so I am wondering if I need to take one of those Application Package file I think that was created when I imported SageTV3-1.xml and rename it to SageTV3.xml?

Bill
If you're using the latest SageMC, 6.34, you may want to hold off importing any plugins until the creators confirm that they work or they update them. Or revert back to 6.33 c for the time being if you have to use those plugins. Also if you reimport, some plugins won't work. You need to go back to the original stv (the one without the added numbers like -1, -2 etc.) and then import the plugin.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:49 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:

I tried installing it using SageMC Import STVi but going to the Detailed Setup in SageMC does not show any CC setup in the Customize
Bill in SageMC the customization is, from the first post "Settings/SageMC/Extras in SageMC".

However in SageMC 6.3.4 the captions display OK, but the customization panels don't work currently.

John
Old 10-02-2007, 05:29 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JREkiwi View Post
Bill in SageMC the customization is, from the first post "Settings/SageMC/Extras in SageMC".

However in SageMC 6.3.4 the captions display OK, but the customization panels don't work currently.

John
Will the panels be updated for 6.3.4 then?

Thank you
Bill
Old 10-03-2007, 02:06 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Will the panels be updated for 6.3.4 then?
Bill, Normally it's a quick job to fix it up, but not this time. I'll try and spend some time on it over the weekend.

John
Old 10-05-2007, 11:54 PM
Sage Icon

New version available for download

(1.1.8)
- Added option for more fonts choices (9 fonts)
- Fix options panels in SageMC 6.3.4

John
Old 10-14-2007, 11:06 PM
Sage Fanatic

I am trying to learn how to do this CC but having trouble creating files needed by this plugin.

At first I thought this plugin will create the cc file on the fly now I am not sure if I am suppose to have some other application create the files needed by this plugin so I set the showanalyer which I used for commerial skipping to create the smi file but the CC plugin said invaild caption file or something like that.

I am real new to all this so can anyone assist me with this or explain what I need to do to have the proper file created for this plugin?

Thank you
Bill
Old 10-14-2007, 11:58 PM
Sage Icon

Bill, what version of showanalyzer are you using? There was a problem with some of the older versions

John
Old 10-15-2007, 12:07 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Bill, what version of showanalyzer are you using? There was a problem with some of the older versions

John

Bill
Old 10-15-2007, 01:23 AM
Sage Icon

The plugin does not create the .smi file that it needs to display CC. It just takes an .smi file that you create elsewhere and dislplay it. mpg2srt and ccextractor are the most common programs used to extract CC and put it in a .smi file.

Unfortunately, I don't think that the plugin will read showanalyzer'ed .smi files. I have tried both the utf-8 and utf-16 settings and get the invalid captioning. In any case, it doesnt look like showanalyzer will update the .smi on the fly as it gets captions, it only writes the file when done with the scan. SO you have to wait until showanalyzer is done to get the .smi CC displayed.

I use ccextractor to make my .smi files once the recordings are done, since it can extract CC out of a digital recording. mpg2srt and showanalyzer can't do that.

Old 10-15-2007, 01:37 AM
Sage Icon

I think they were working with showanalyzer 9.0.

Bill, can you post one of the .smi files so I can have a look at it.

John
Old 10-15-2007, 02:00 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
I think they were working with showanalyzer 9.0.

Bill, can you post one of the .smi files so I can have a look at it.

John
Sure .. here it is

I had to add a .txt to the end of the filename so the forum would let me attach it to the post.

Bill
Attached Files
File Type: txt BeyondTomorrow-Episode10-278671-0.smi.txt (186.3 KB, 287 views)
Old 10-15-2007, 02:02 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
The plugin does not create the .smi file that it needs to display CC. It just takes an .smi file that you create elsewhere and dislplay it. mpg2srt and ccextractor are the most common programs used to extract CC and put it in a .smi file.

Unfortunately, I don't think that the plugin will read showanalyzer'ed .smi files. I have tried both the utf-8 and utf-16 settings and get the invalid captioning. In any case, it doesnt look like showanalyzer will update the .smi on the fly as it gets captions, it only writes the file when done with the scan. SO you have to wait until showanalyzer is done to get the .smi CC displayed.

I use ccextractor to make my .smi files once the recordings are done, since it can extract CC out of a digital recording. mpg2srt and showanalyzer can't do that.

Do you use dirmon to extract CC with ccextractor when the show is done or that can be done on the fly? What do you enter in dirmon to use it with ccextractor?

Thanks
Bill
Old 10-15-2007, 02:21 AM
Sage Icon

I use dirmon2 to run ccextractor on the finished show when it is done by setting the options to "wait until target file is finished" and "wait until target file is not growing". I don't do it on the fly. I haven't figured out a way to do it. comskip and showanalyzer are designed to do comskipping on the fly, so they work that way. I dunno if ccextractor could be set up that way. If it was really important to you, I'd contact the author and see what he can do in the future.

I then set the command option for ccextractor as
Quote:
-sami %FULLFILESPEC% -o [[%PATH%/%BASENAME%.smi]]
That way ccextractor will create an .smi file with the same name as the recording. It will make a filename.smi file, otherwise, it would be named filename_1.smi and dirmon2 will get confused since the names don't match.

Old 10-15-2007, 02:29 AM
Sage Icon

Bill, that file is UTF-16 format. If you configure showanalyzer for UTF-8 for the captions it should work.

John
Old 10-15-2007, 02:29 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
I use dirmon2 to run ccextractor on the finished show when it is done by setting the options to "wait until target file is finished" and "wait until target file is not growing". I don't do it on the fly. I haven't figured out a way to do it. comskip and showanalyzer are designed to do comskipping on the fly, so they work that way. I dunno if ccextractor could be set up that way. If it was really important to you, I'd contact the author and see what he can do in the future.

I then set the command option for ccextractor as That way ccextractor will create an .smi file with the same name as the recording. It will make a filename.smi file, otherwise, it would be named filename_1.smi and dirmon2 will get confused since the names don't match.
Thank you I will try the ccextractor then since I have a HDTV card ordered and on the way.

Bill