SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 12-28-2008, 02:46 PM
Sage Icon

I've probably imported this at least 20 times in 6.5.5 over the last couple of days without any problem, but I never do imports on my MVP or Extender as that has always been problematic with many imports.

What OS are you using? Vista with UAC enabled?

John
Old 12-28-2008, 07:28 PM
Sage Expert

I'm running the Sage server on XP Pro (SP2).

Knowing that I can make a full backup of my working Sage folder hierarchy, I'll probably try this again sometime this week.

But in the end, I do need captioning or subtitle support on the extender - I won't be using the server for local playback.

BTW, I saw you (JREkiwi) mention in another thread that you were (at the time) using SageTV's built-in CC support. What support specifically were you talking about and where can I get more information on it? It's not listed as a feature in the product information and the last manual I read didn't have anything about it that I can recall (going to have to check the 6.4 version docs). Even though my immediate need for captioning is to support subtitles (muxed, meta or external files), I'd also like to be able to access the CC data from broadcast and captured streams.

Last edited by TwistedMelon; 12-28-2008 at 07:54 PM.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:53 PM
Sage Expert

If this has been posted before, I haven't seen it. So excuse any possibly duplication of information. I'm going to make what I write as keyword-rich as possible to make future searching relevant.

This assumes a stock installation of SageTV.

Topic:
If you have an HD200 and want to use external Subtitles or Closed Captioning in the form of smi subtitle files.

What I had to do:
Install the plugin by copying the files as as mentioned in the opening post and then restart the Sage service and next the HD200. Do not make the changes to the advanced setup mentioned in the first post.

With SageTV 6.5 the following settings appear on both the server-side as well as HD200:

Setup > Advanced > SageTV Application Package

Selecting that option will allowed me to choose the following package:

"SageTV3_withimports_SAGE..."

Then I selected the option above that one:

Setup > Advanced > Manage STVI Plugins

Which presented me with a window where I selected:

Add a new STVI plugin file

Then I simply chose the Caption_Playback.stvi file from the resulting file browser.

With the "Automatically prompt for rebuild" option checked, pressing Close then rebuilt the STV.

Doing this on the HD200 enabled the Closed Caption menu item in the Options menu when playing back a video with an accompanying smi file.

Originally (when I had the problem mentioned a few posts back) I may have inadvertently selected the caption plugin instead of the "SageTV3_withimports_SAGE..." file when making the settings changes.

SageTV 6.5 includes the handy manager which obviously I noticed "afterwards"
Old 01-17-2009, 02:17 PM
Sage Advanced User

Nearly empty smi files???

dirmon2 - 0.6.4.49
ccextractor - 0.52
windows XP Pro

I end up with nearly empty smi files when using dirmon2 to execute ccextractor.

If I run ccextractorwin in a command window and GUI and I get perfect smi files, but when run from dirmon2 smi's are not created correctly - example of the smi I get created:

Code:
<SAMI>
<HEAD>
<STYLE TYPE="text/css">
<!--
P {margin-left: 16pt; margin-right: 16pt; margin-bottom: 16pt; margin-top: 16pt;
text-align: center; font-size: 18pt; font-family: arial; font-weight: bold; color: #f0f0f0;}
.UNKNOWNCC {Name:Unknown; lang:en-US; SAMIType:CC;}
-->
</STYLE>
</HEAD>

<BODY>
Here is my dirmon2 ini:

Code:
[Job Description 1]
Name = CCextract
Processor = C:/Program Files/CCExtractor/ccextractorwin.exe
Targets Are Paths = 0
Targets Are Extensions = 1
Command Line Options = -sami %FULLFILESPEC% -o [[%PATH%/%BASENAME%.smi]] 
Must Exist 1 = 
Must Exist Logic = OR
Must Exist 2 = 
Must And Or Must Not Exist Logic = AND
Must Not Exist 1 = smi
Must Not Exist Logic = OR
Must Not Exist 2 = 
Directory 1 = F:/TV
Directory 2 = G:/TV
Directory 3 = H:/TV
Target 1 = mpg
Resources Needed = 100
Timeout Enabled = 0
Timeout = -1
Priority Boost Due To Job Description = 0
Priority Boost Due To Age = 1
Priority Boost Due To Name = 0
Process Subdirectories = 1
Wait Until File Is Finished = 1
Wait Until File Is Idle = 0
Wait Until File Is Not Growing = 1
Wait Until File Is Not Growing Time = 30
Wait Until Drive Is Idle = 0
Wait Until Drive Is Idle Time = 2
Hide Console = 0
Blackout Enabled = 0
I've read and searched but must be missing something.....?
Old 01-17-2009, 09:35 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocKKer View Post
dirmon2 - 0.6.4.49
ccextractor - 0.52
windows XP Pro

I end up with nearly empty smi files when using dirmon2 to execute ccextractor.

If I run ccextractorwin in a command window and GUI and I get perfect smi files, but when run from dirmon2 smi's are not created correctly - example of the smi I get created:

Code:
<SAMI>
<HEAD>
<STYLE TYPE="text/css">
<!--
P {margin-left: 16pt; margin-right: 16pt; margin-bottom: 16pt; margin-top: 16pt;
text-align: center; font-size: 18pt; font-family: arial; font-weight: bold; color: #f0f0f0;}
.UNKNOWNCC {Name:Unknown; lang:en-US; SAMIType:CC;}
-->
</STYLE>
</HEAD>

<BODY>
Here is my dirmon2 ini:

Code:
[Job Description 1]
Name = CCextract
Processor = C:/Program Files/CCExtractor/ccextractorwin.exe
Targets Are Paths = 0
Targets Are Extensions = 1
Command Line Options = -sami %FULLFILESPEC% -o [[%PATH%/%BASENAME%.smi]] 
Must Exist 1 = 
Must Exist Logic = OR
Must Exist 2 = 
Must And Or Must Not Exist Logic = AND
Must Not Exist 1 = smi
Must Not Exist Logic = OR
Must Not Exist 2 = 
Directory 1 = F:/TV
Directory 2 = G:/TV
Directory 3 = H:/TV
Target 1 = mpg
Resources Needed = 100
Timeout Enabled = 0
Timeout = -1
Priority Boost Due To Job Description = 0
Priority Boost Due To Age = 1
Priority Boost Due To Name = 0
Process Subdirectories = 1
Wait Until File Is Finished = 1
Wait Until File Is Idle = 0
Wait Until File Is Not Growing = 1
Wait Until File Is Not Growing Time = 30
Wait Until Drive Is Idle = 0
Wait Until Drive Is Idle Time = 2
Hide Console = 0
Blackout Enabled = 0
I've read and searched but must be missing something.....?
Leave only -sami in the Command Line Options. This will not add _1 to the end of the file name.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:11 AM
Sage Advanced User

ok stll no valid smi file, tried:

-sami
-sami %FULLFILESPEC%
-sami %FULLFILESPEC% -o %PATH%/%BASENAME%.smi

as well as:
-out=sami
-out=sami %FULLFILESPEC%
-out=sami %FULLFILESPEC% -o %PATH%/%BASENAME%.smi

The only time I get any output is if I use the -o arguement with the PATH and BASENAME.

Is there a way to see the commandline that dirmon2 creates? I know it is executing I see a command windows flash, it just way to fast to see what it's doing.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:55 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via ICQ to valnar
For CCextractor in Dirmon2, I use this:

-sami -utf [[%FULLFILESPEC%]] -o [[%PATH%/%BASENAME%.smi]]

Works fine for me.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:10 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by valnar View Post
For CCextractor in Dirmon2, I use this:

-sami -utf [[%FULLFILESPEC%]] -o [[%PATH%/%BASENAME%.smi]]

Works fine for me.

Hmm - just tried that and no change for me. I'll post something on the dragon global (dirmon2) forums.

Thanks.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:51 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocKKer View Post
Hmm - just tried that and no change for me. I'll post something on the dragon global (dirmon2) forums.

Thanks.
Does it create srt files successfully if you leave Command Line Options empty?
Old 01-18-2009, 04:56 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by darekd View Post
Does it create srt files successfully if you leave Command Line Options empty?

That worked - ccextractor happily created an srt file. I then changed the command line options to -out=smi - it worked, tried -smi and -sami too, all work. Didn't specify an input file nor a -o for output either.

I swear I tried those before. .....but I might have been tired.

I stopped, uninstalled, quit dirmon2, started dirmon2, installed and started the dirmon2 service, but I thought I did that last night too!

Thanks derekd and valnar for your help!

Tryin to get the approval on SageTv, getting the captions working greatly increases the waf!
Old 01-19-2009, 09:40 AM
Sage Advanced User

Basic Question

I have now read this whole thread, and the thing I find the most amazing is that JREkiwi is doing all of this work and doesn't even use Closed Captions!

Now for my question. I read the entire thread, and like all long threads, it seems to conflict with itself in places. A couple things still are not clear to me, and I'd rather not go through installing a bunch of stuff on my "production" machine if my goal is impossible.

My wife has a habit of watching the tv muted with captions on. She has perfect hearing, but after having little kids napping in the house, she has just gotten used to having it on mute and reading the captions. We also do this in the kitchen in the morning when we are getting ready (we have enough noise without the tv adding to it).

I have a Hauppauge pvr500 and 2 hd-pvrs. I have HD100 extenders on my tvs. We get our tv through Verizon Fios STBs that I channel change (but not record) through firewire.

1. If I use ccextractor and dirmon, can I generate an .smi file "on the fly" for live tv? Can the HD100 read and display the cc for live tv from the smi file? (I know my server can read and display it live using the SageTV captions option - just wish an extender could.) The thread suggests that the .smi can be done on the fly, as some people were talking about using a constantly growing .smi file, but I can't tell for sure.

2. If the answer to #1 is no, does anyone have a way of showing captions from live tv on an HD100 or HD200?

I am happy to do all the work if it is possible, so thanks for confirming or denying!

And thanks to JREkiwi for working on this for so long.

Willie

Last edited by willieb; 01-19-2009 at 09:42 AM.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:56 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via ICQ to valnar
Quote:
Originally Posted by willieb View Post
I have a Hauppauge pvr500 and 2 hd-pvrs. I have HD100 extenders on my tvs. We get our tv through Verizon Fios STBs that I channel change (but not record) through firewire.

1. If I use ccextractor and dirmon, can I generate an .smi file "on the fly" for live tv? Can the HD100 read and display the cc for live tv from the smi file? (I know my server can read and display it live using the SageTV captions option - just wish an extender could.) The thread suggests that the .smi can be done on the fly, as some people were talking about using a constantly growing .smi file, but I can't tell for sure.

2. If the answer to #1 is no, does anyone have a way of showing captions from live tv on an HD100 or HD200?
As far as I know, the answer is no to both questions. I would love to be proved wrong, but I have to wait for a show to be over, recorded and cc extracted before I get the captions available.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:40 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by valnar View Post
As far as I know, the answer is no to both questions. I would love to be proved wrong, but I have to wait for a show to be over, recorded and cc extracted before I get the captions available.
ccextractor 0.52 supports on the fly extraction, just use the streaming mode.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:29 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsmp3 View Post
good news! so is anyone using this with JREkiwi's plugin? can anyone tell me how it is done? i assume the plugin would have to see the smi file when the playback begins (so you may need to pause for a while to get the subs generation ahead of video playback). Can the plugin handle a file that is still being written?
Old 01-19-2009, 10:33 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by willieb View Post
Can the plugin handle a file that is still being written?
It works currently with StephaneM's DVB Network encoder, that creates .smi files on LiveTV.

John
Old 01-20-2009, 01:34 PM
Sage Aficionado

I use SubSync to convert srt to smi, never had problems playing these through my extender (MVP or HD200).
Old 01-20-2009, 06:49 PM
Sage User

I would appreciate if someone point me in the right direction. I have installed this plugin and it is working fine for all avi files with smi subtiltes. However I have a problem to display cc from my recordings. I capture TS stream from STB box by firewire. I can extract closed captions by using ccextractorwin as sami. Both names, recording and subtitles have the same name, yet I cannot display cc at all. I have the same problem in Windows player when DIVX files have subtitles but TS MPEG don't.

Thanks for your help.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:34 PM
Sage Advanced User

6.3.8a

I can't get this to work with 6.3.8a. When I install it the volume display will not go away and in the options menu I do not have cc there anymore. I have been using it fine with other versions on MC but this one I can't. Any ideas?
Old 01-24-2009, 08:53 PM
Sage Icon

I have noticed my volume doesn't go away aswell, but I didn't know where to look...

I would like to ask for the CC icon to come back in SageMC. I miss it from the default stv, and it's really handy.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:10 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsmp3 View Post
I have been plaing around with ccextractor for a few days, particularly trying to get it going with generating captions for Live TV. I am having a few problems that I hope someone can help with. Here goes...

If I run ccextractor in streaming mode, does it ever exit? I am constantly killing processes, and I think that it is because in streaming mode it never stops waiting for the file to change. I know I can set a timer, but frankly 100 seconds seems like too short of a time to stop listening if the file doesn't change. Is there any way to lengthen this?

Also, I am getting a lot of Invalid Captioning File errors. Interstingly, sometimes I will get them right in the middle of a file that was playing fine up to that point.

Finally, I thought I read that the JREkiwi plugin would act like the built in sage plugin and put the captions where they belong on the screen (i.e., under the person who says them), but that isn't working for me. Any ideas on these questions.

Thanks for all your help!