SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 03-05-2007, 07:19 PM
Sage Advanced User

Auto-deleting not working

I currently have one 400GB drive attached locally to the Sage server, and one pair of 250GB RAID 0'd drives on another machine on the network. Right now whenever any of the drives fill up with recordings, Sage refuses to autodelete old recordings; instead it just stops recording when it runs out of disk space. I made sure I'm not forcing any encoders to record to a particular drive, so why is this happening? I'm not sure if it belongs in the beta forum (i'm using the latest RC) because I've had this problem in the version 6 release as well.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:15 PM
Administrator

Are those recordings the kind that SageTV is allowed to delete automatically? See Appendix C in the PDF manual for info on what it can delete.

Is there a network permission issue involved? I would think that if it can create the recordins, it could delete them, though.

You could try enabling debug logging to see what the log contains about its attempts to delete files.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:57 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
Are those recordings the kind that SageTV is allowed to delete automatically? See Appendix C in the PDF manual for info on what it can delete.

Is there a network permission issue involved? I would think that if it can create the recordins, it could delete them, though.

You could try enabling debug logging to see what the log contains about its attempts to delete files.

- Andy
I'd love to think it's recordings that Sage can't delete, but there are over 700GB of recordings so I'm sure Sage can delete some of them I checked Appendix C, and even though I have quite a few Favourites that I haven't watched yet, there are tons of watched Favourites, so I figure Sage should be able to delete them. As for the network problem, this just occured on a local drive, and Sage can actually delete recordings on a network drive if I manually do it.

I'll turn on debug logging and see how it goes. Unfortunately I just deleted a bunch of stuff so I've quite a bit of free space now (that's not saying anything really, since I record OTA HD like it's my job).
Old 03-05-2007, 11:12 PM
Administrator

Do those Favs have the AutoDelete option set to Yes (Automatic) or No (Manual)?

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:35 AM
Sage Advanced User

I use SageMC, and they are set to Delete Automatically, and "Keep as many as possible".
Old 03-06-2007, 02:14 PM
SageTVaholic

Do you have more than one UNC recording directory on the same partition? Or NTFS partitions mounted as folders instead of drive letters? If so, Sage might be confused about how much free space you have. Check the free space report in System Information to see if it tallies with the actual amount of free space.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:45 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick View Post
Do you have more than one UNC recording directory on the same partition? Or NTFS partitions mounted as folders instead of drive letters? If so, Sage might be confused about how much free space you have. Check the free space report in System Information to see if it tallies with the actual amount of free space.
Nope to all.

Right now Sage is not respecting ANY of my video directory configuration at all. At first, I set it up to record to V:\ drive and a UNC path. I removed V:\ from the video directories, and lo and behold the next recording showed up in V!). Here's the thing about my UNC path though. The machine it's pointing to is not on the domain, and uses seperate credentials for login. The funny thing is Sage can actually see what's inside that directory, but cannot record to it. Sage is logging on as a service as the domain administrator.

I'm getting a little ticked off about this. Can someone refresh my memory why Sage can't use mapped drives?

Oh, and I just realized it's not deleting Live TV stuff either when space runs out on the drive. According to system info, I have 244GB free, but the combined free space I have is only ~65GB or so.

Last edited by kltye; 03-09-2007 at 01:49 AM.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:47 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kltye View Post
The machine it's pointing to is not on the domain, and uses seperate credentials for login.... Sage is logging on as a service as the domain administrator.
That looks like your problem then (or part of it anyway). You've configured Sage to use a recording directory it doesn't have permission to access. If that share grants Read permission to Everyone, then Sage will be able to read it but not write to it, just as you've described.

Sage can use mapped drives in normal mode, but not in service mode. This is not a Sage limitation; it's a limitation on all Windows services (because services don't go through the Windows GUI logon process during which mapped drives are set up). That's why the manual says to use UNC paths when running as a service.

So your options would seem to be: (a) join that machine to the domain so that domain admins can access it, (b) grant full access to Everyone on that share, (c) don't use that machine for recording, or (d) don't run Sage as a service.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:09 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
So your options would seem to be: (a) join that machine to the domain so that domain admins can access it, (b) grant full access to Everyone on that share, (c) don't use that machine for recording, or (d) don't run Sage as a service.
The funny thing is that machine is now my Windows Home Server beta machine, and it cannot join a domain because of its EULA (yeah, totally dumb on my part for not realizing that sooner). I did grant full access to Everyone on the drive and share, but it's still not working.

Also, this problem of Sage not being able to delete recordings has been around for quite some time - even before I made the switch over to Home Server. Further, I limited Sage to use only 320GB on that one local drive - and now the video recording directory is over 350GB...

Quote:
This is not a Sage limitation; it's a limitation on all Windows services (because services don't go through the Windows GUI logon process during which mapped drives are set up).
Gotcha. I do however, have that machine to logon automatically on startup, so I'm wondering if I can use mapped drive letter then? Hmmm....
Old 03-10-2007, 10:04 PM
Sage Advanced User

I think I've tracked down the issue of the auto deleting failing - Sage doesn't seem to recognize some of my recorded videos in the recording directories. Does Sage calculate free space based on the recordings it "knows" about?