SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 04-02-2007, 08:38 AM
Sage Aficionado

AC3Filter SPDIF Problem

I'm not sure if I should consider this a Sage problem, AC3Filter problem, nVidia Purevideo problem, or just my own stupidity but here goes. I'm running 6.1.6 with nVidia Purevideo decoders. I have everything set to route audio through the SPDIF connector to my stereo, and all is lovely.

The only problem I have been having is with AC3 encoded audio being very quiet, I basically have to double the volume on my stereo to get it to the same audio level. So after reading some of the posts on it, I decided to install the latest AC3Filter, tweak all the settings I could find to output to SPDIF in the configuration for it, and copied the updated file over to the Sage directory. Well everything worked fine except AVI playback in Sage, there was no audio output. The files played fine in WMP. Other files play fine in Sage and I checked through all the settings that made sense to force the output through the digital coax, but still no audio with AVIs.

After uninstalling the AC3Filter update and reinstalling Sage over the top of the existing install (same version), everything is back to the way it was, ie: low volume on AC3 encoded sound (HD files and movies) with AVI working normally again. So my question is, what am I missing with my settings to get the updated AC3Filters to work with Sage completely/correctly?
Old 04-02-2007, 09:10 AM
Sage Advanced User

Regardless of the version, have you tried to simply increase the gain in the AC3Filter properties? I usually have to crank mine into the +12db area for me to be happy.

Cheers,
iSage Theme
Old 04-02-2007, 12:13 PM
Sage Advanced User

I believe that if you're using AC3Filter on an AC3 stream and the SPDIF output that AC3Filter just passes the raw strean through straight to your receiver. If this is the case, AC3Filter won't do any processing (AGC) on the audio.

Wouldn't you have to decode to 5.1 or 6.1 to process levels and use analog from your audio device to your receiver?
Old 04-03-2007, 06:07 AM
Sage Aficionado

I had never thought of adjusting the volume prior to outputing it to SPDIF, always seemed like something that would not have any effect. Afterall, it is just passing the audio signal straight to the receiver. But lo-and-behold, I went into my sound card control panel and upped the audio for each channel by 12db and there was much rejoicing. Haven't tried playback with all video types to see which ones get affected and which don't, but atleast my stereo volume is sitting below 20 and I can hear it just fine.

Many thanks.