SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 04-15-2007, 04:12 AM
Sage User

random failed to find gui server

So while watching TV earlier today via my wired mvp, the screen froze. On reboot, I'm getting a "failed to find gui server" message.
If I unplug the mvp and start it up again, the mvp does recognize the server, and allows me to connect, but still gives me a failed to find gui server. I've tried this with two different mvps, have rebooted everything, reinstalled sage, etc. Any suggestions? Thanks
Old 04-15-2007, 06:25 AM
Sage Expert

I've never run into this, but here's some ideas to help you troubleshoot. Since it's occurring on multiple MVP's, then it's one of two three things:

1. Something fluky with your network,
2. Something misconfigured on your Sage box, or
3. Something else wrong with your Sage server (like a bad network card, or your personal firewall is blocking the wrong ports)

To test #2 and 3, make sure that your placeshifter server is still enabled on the Sage box; I bet it is because you are connecting, but not loading the GUI. Make sure that your windows (or other) firewall software is off (for the time being). See if that fixes the connection.

You may also want to uninstall Sage, and reinstall the Hauppauge default software to see if it can connect and load up; that will identify if it's a network connectivity problem (like a bad switch or router).

HTH,
Stu
Old 04-15-2007, 02:10 PM
Sage User

well, over the night I just unplugged everything in hopes that maybe a long nap might help things(wishful thinking, I know). This morning, plugged everything in, and the mvp booted up to the hauppage mediamvp software. Connects and everything as it should, so network seems to be working fine. What confuses me is that I haven't touched the hauppage software in months.
Old 04-15-2007, 03:01 PM
Sage User

well, I went in and deleted all of the hauppage mvp software on the computer so it won't boot to that, now it won't find the server at all. Been a while since I installed all of the sagetv stuff, can't remember if that was needed or not.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:56 AM
Sage User

meh... randomly started working again

weird
Old 04-18-2007, 03:45 AM
Sage User

well, after working all day, it's now stuck on "contacting servers"

this is getting rather annoying