SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 05-03-2007, 08:00 AM
Sage Advanced User

V6 Upgrade and HDHomerun

It's been a while since I've messed with my sage setup (that's a good thing right?) and I'm getting ready to play some catch up tonight on my software/hardware. I would appreciate it if some of you that have been there can check my expected upgrade plans and answer a few questions.

Currently:
I'm running Sage v5 with one Hauppauge recording Cable TV.
One Server running SageMC (who knows what version)
One client. Only pugin is for Comskip
I use Directorymonitor2 and the registered commercial skip program from Jer. Which I can't remember the name of right now

Changes:
I bought the Sage V6 upgrade and a HDHomerun.
I'm installing a bit more Hard Drive space though I've never been close to filling up before, want to make sure there's plenty of room for HD.

My expected upgrade path:
Server:
Copy Sage folder to safe location for backup.
Install Sage V6
copy sage.properties, wiz.bin, wiz.bak (I think I recall that being the name) from the backup into the Sage folder.
Reinstall SageMC (wasn't there a nice installer package that came out for it?)
Install HDHomerun as per Silicon Dust instructions (http://www.silicondust.com/wiki/hdho...s/sagetv_cable) checking for Firmware upgrades.

Client:
Install Client V6
copy sageclient.properties from the backup into the Sage folder.

That should take care of it right? If there's anything I'm leaving out in the above let me know. Or anything you would do to make this go especially smooth.

A few questions on how Sage/HDhomerun interact.
My client is not a powerful machine it can't handle HD-streams. How does sage handle the HD recorded content with the Homerun? Last I checked I think the best option was to set up 2 favorites for anything I wanted HDrecorded. One that is limited to the HD channels and one that excludes the HDchannel. This way I can play back the non-hd on my client or the HD on my server on my HDTV.

Assuming that's the suggested method, how will that show up in sage? With 2 of the exact same shows recorded on different channels at the same time. Will they both be filed uner the program name, and one have the HD icon and the other not? Is it that simple?

Anyone have any expereince with commercial skipping with the HDhomerun files? Is there anything I need to do to account for this, or do I just keep on trucking and they get processed like anything else?

Finally, a basic Sage question that I use to know and can't remember. When migrating to my new Hard Drive I've got some screwy folder names I'd like to change. For example, the folder "TVJ" is actually on my "D" drive. How do I safley rename that folder to say "TVD" while letting sage know it's the same files?

Thanks for any help. I'm just trying to go into this upgrade with enough information that it can go smoothly. It's been a while since I first started looking at this and I've forgotten quite a bit
Old 05-03-2007, 09:53 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arioch5 View Post
My expected upgrade path:
Server:
Install Sage V6
copy sage.properties, wiz.bin, wiz.bak (I think I recall that being the name) from the backup into the Sage folder.
Don't copy the properties & database back after the installation; the installer keeps them. Just install over the top of the old version. Keeping a full copy of the previous installation is good as a backup and is covered here.

Quote:
Finally, a basic Sage question that I use to know and can't remember. When migrating to my new Hard Drive I've got some screwy folder names I'd like to change. For example, the folder "TVJ" is actually on my "D" drive. How do I safley rename that folder to say "TVD" while letting sage know it's the same files?
You could create the new recording dir, add it to SageTV, close SageTV completely (including the service), backup wiz.bin, move the recordings to the new recording dir, then restart SageTV. Once you've confirmed that the recordings are seen in the new location, you can remove the old recording dir from SageTV and delete it from the drive.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:12 AM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks for the info. Can't believe I missed that upgrade instructions thanks for the link.

Sounds like the fold name change should be easy too.