SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:18 PM
Sage Aficionado

Right now it does not work in Sage. I know that the Sage folks are hard at work on it though. Narflex recently said it won't be long...
Old 07-10-2007, 10:19 PM
SageTVaholic

Huh?? Yes it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDtyF350 View Post
Right now it does not work in Sage. I know that the Sage folks are hard at work on it though. Narflex recently said it won't be long...

***RIP SageTV***
Old 07-10-2007, 10:21 PM
Sage Aficionado

Wow you are fast... I would say all you will need then is just the driver for the card.. None of that other stuff..
Old 07-11-2007, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Is the full CD version I downloaded from your FTP any different than the CD version for the HVR-1600 on Hauppauge's website?
Yes it much newer then what Hauppauge on there website.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:16 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkanet View Post
Im using Windows Vista Ultimate

I have my outdoor antenna hooked up to:
3 DigitalTV input "ATSC or Cable ClearQAM Digital"

My whole machine was tested with its current configuration for Vista MCE at HP before shipping it to me. It shipped with just the MCE driver for the HVR-1800. Since I couldnt get WinTV to work, I installed the full CD version on Hauppauge's website...

I have my outdoor antenna hooked up to:
3 DigitalTV input "ATSC or Cable ClearQAM Digital"

In WinTV Channel Manager,
It seems that the analog channels scan correctly (although, theres hardly any signal). However, when it scans for digital channels, it stopped a second after it says "Scanning Digital..." and says "Found 0 Services".

In SageTV, the digital channels take a very long time to scan and eventually show 0 channels found.

Is the full CD version I downloaded from your FTP any different than the CD version for the HVR-1600 on Hauppauge's website?

Thanks for helping out,
Michael
He's hooked up to an antenna, not cable. He's not getting QAM through Sage.

Client 1: Custom Wood Case, Asus E35M1-M Pro, Kingston HyperX 2gb 1333, WD Black 2.5", Samsung SM DVD, Win 7 64, SageTV Client v7.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:58 AM
Sage Aficionado

Good catch.. All I need to do is learn to read. Was wondering how it was getting digital from the cable with Sage... Glad he got it to work...
Old 07-11-2007, 02:53 PM
Sage Advanced User

I think soneone asked about how this card was for analog.. one of the best I've seen...

Old 07-11-2007, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Huh?? Yes it does.
I belive he ref to QAM mkanet
Old 07-12-2007, 08:42 AM

SprDtyF350,
Just wondering, which stations can you receive with analog cable that you cannot get with QAM?

Quote:
Depends which HVR-1600 you have. The MCE versions don't. If you see the clear QAM selection in WinTV your card should. I saw that your cable company uses qam256. It also depends on what is not encrypted by them as to what you can get. I get about 60 various channels here with Comcast. Others may get none if the cable company encrypts them all. Which they are not supposed to do but when do cable companies play fair....
Old 07-12-2007, 09:18 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to skylinegtr
Does Sage work with QAM tuners or NOT

Quote:
Huh?? Yes it does.
Could you please tell us what you did to get it working?

I installed the Hauppage 3.4D beta form my HVR 1600 which enables QAM tuning and to my pleasant surprise, QAM tuning worked with WinTV

I have Verizon Cable TV and all the OTA HD channels that it carries are picked up by WinTV.
Also, there are quite a number of High Def Channels in the clear that WinTV found. For example, NGCHD (National Geographic Channel High Def) is in the clear.

I had WinTV do it's channel scan and it found a LOT of stations. None of the numbers tracked Verizon's but I went through and made a spredasheet that maps the WINTV channel number to the Verizon Cable number that I keep with the remoe control.
I use the QAM Channel # in WinTV to tune to the proper station. Same with the scheduler

Example:
Verizon QAM WINTV Company Resolution Type
Chan# Chan# Chan#
803 3009 1009 ABC/WJLA 1280x720 HD
813 3013 1013 CBS/WJZ 1920x1080 HD
10 3033 1033 FOX/WBFF 480i SD

I can tune to them via WinTV and for a few of them I am using that clunky scheduler.

Verizon is organzied such that the first set of channel numbers under 49 are called "FiOS TV LOCAL". Most of these are analog versions of the High Def network stations plus the public access station like from Community Colleges.

The High Def channels are in the 801 through 855 range

Here is my problem and I am wondering how it is working for you:

I installed Sage and it listed all the channels for Verizon in the channel Guide.
I can tune to 1 through 49 (the FIOS Locals) BUT if I try to select anything beyond the Local Set (>49), it will not.

It acts like it does in that the info it gives you is correct for that station and the preview window even shows the correct channel but the window contents are from the previous analogue station and it never actually tuned to that station.

So I can tune from 1 through 49 but nothing else.

Since WINTV proves that it can tune to the HD stations that are in the clear, why does Sage not do the same thing?

I have assumed that SAGE was not yet ready for prime time but I saw your post where you said it was working.

I am Really puzzled. WinTV tunes to the HD channels but SAGE does not yet and I thought that SAge used the device driver that Wintv does.

Any ideas please?

Thanks,
Joe

Last edited by skylinegtr; 07-12-2007 at 09:21 AM.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:28 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruWRX View Post
I think soneone asked about how this card was for analog.. one of the best I've seen...
Hey SubaruWRX. I don't want to take this thread too far off-topic, but I'm seeing an issue in your screen capture that I am also seeing in mine. The edges of skin tones (faces in particular) have a green tone on the left edge and a red tone on the right edge. I'm wondering if this can be fixed.

I've started another thread about this here if anyone has any thoughts about this.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:07 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtshea View Post
Hey SubaruWRX. I don't want to take this thread too far off-topic, but I'm seeing an issue in your screen capture that I am also seeing in mine. The edges of skin tones (faces in particular) have a green tone on the left edge and a red tone on the right edge. I'm wondering if this can be fixed.

I've started another thread about this here if anyone has any thoughts about this.

Hmmm I've never noticed that until now.. I wonder what causes that.. That was just with my OTA antenna for outside.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:15 PM
Sage Aficionado

So the confusion can maybe be sorted out about QAM. Sage does NOT do QAM yet with the HVR-1600. They are working on it. It will do ATSC just fine right now. So to be clear..

HVR-1600 HD from cable: Not Yet..

HVR-1600 HD from antenna: Yes
Old 07-12-2007, 02:51 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinegtr View Post
I have Verizon Cable TV and all the OTA HD channels that it carries are picked up by WinTV.
Also, there are quite a number of High Def Channels in the clear that WinTV found. For example, NGCHD (National Geographic Channel High Def) is in the clear.

I had WinTV do it's channel scan and it found a LOT of stations. None of the numbers tracked Verizon's but I went through and made a spredasheet that maps the WINTV channel number to the Verizon Cable number that I keep with the remoe control.
I use the QAM Channel # in WinTV to tune to the proper station. Same with the scheduler

Example:
Verizon QAM WINTV Company Resolution Type
Chan# Chan# Chan#
803 3009 1009 ABC/WJLA 1280x720 HD
813 3013 1013 CBS/WJZ 1920x1080 HD
10 3033 1033 FOX/WBFF 480i SD

I can tune to them via WinTV and for a few of them I am using that clunky scheduler.

Verizon is organzied such that the first set of channel numbers under 49 are called "FiOS TV LOCAL". Most of these are analog versions of the High Def network stations plus the public access station like from Community Colleges.

The High Def channels are in the 801 through 855 range
Do you mind posting your spreadsheet? I have Verizon in VA and I dont get NGHD. I posted some of my findings in the EPG section, take a look and let me know what you are getting. For QAM I am using an HDHomerun. Thanks
Old 07-14-2007, 07:04 PM

Having problem viewing Digital Stations.

Did the following:

Installed Hauppauge 1600 with updated drivers from their site (making it QAM cappable). Checked model number (correct model number). I have a splitter for cable, so cable is connected to both the TV Connector for cable tv and the ATSC Digital TV connector. Did a regular scan followed by a clear QAM source scan. The only QAM channels being received are Music channels (Jazz, 80's, 90's, Rock, etc.)

Live in Dallas and cable provider is Time Warner.

Any suggestions?

Will be getting an antenna later this week.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:03 AM
Sage Advanced User

Someone help?

Ok the cable installer just left and I hooked the cable to the cable card for the Clear QAM for the signal level all I get is one block and it does not seem to scan at all... What is wrong???
Old 07-24-2007, 09:17 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Hope ya get it working. Here is a pic of what you should see when the software is doing what it's supposed too.

How did you get it to say "Clear QAM?"

I too have the issue where it will act like it will scan for 1 second and stop
Old 07-24-2007, 09:47 AM
Sage User

Signal level only applies to the individual channel that is selected. Does not apply to overall signal level, so don't worry about signal level for now. The signal level will hlep you troubleshoot after you've completed a scan. For instance, if one of your clear QAM channels is stuttering or macro-blocking and you see a low signal level, then you might guess that signal level is the problem.

At first, I too thought I wasn't going to get this working. At this stage of things, the process is not user-friendly. Let me give you my list of what I had to do (I'm doing this from memory, so please forgive if my terms are slightly off):

1. Install the beta HVR-1600 software from Hauppauge that supports QAM. Go to the HVR-1600 support page and scroll down a bit. It's a big download too.

2. Do a regular analog/digital channel scan. It's just the regular scan. For reasons unknown, you must do this first or the clear QAM scan won't work.

3. Go to Sources, select Clear QAM and kick-off a scan. For me, I could not get this to work using the US Channel option. I had to select the All Channels option. I can't remember the time exactly, but I think this took almost 8 hours to complete--but it worked. If you have to use the All Channels option, let the scan go overnight or something like that.

Depending on your cable system, you might get nicely labeled QAM channels, or you might get a big mess (like I did) with no labels, lots of duplicate channels and lots of non-clear channels (black screen). But it did work.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:03 AM

Start WinTV
Click on the Menu button then click on the option Suite Manager
Click on Sources
Click on Auro Scan
And you should be using 3.4.25155 from here
http://www.shspvr.com/smf/index.php?topic=11002.0
Old 07-24-2007, 10:09 AM
Sage Advanced User

I got it.. for some reason I had to do like the other poster said.. uninstall everything related to the card and install the Beta drivers. as I speak I have a few channels found.

Now other issue is my captured HD images look like this...

Also to let others know I did NOT need to do a analog/digital scan first to get the Clear QAM channels to work.

Last edited by SubaruWRX; 07-24-2007 at 10:27 AM.