SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 05-21-2007, 08:00 PM
Sage Advanced User

Question Why does sage run slow in Full Screen?

If I run it in a windowed mode (does not look so nice) it runs smooth but full Screen it's like trying to wade in mud it's slow.

It's happened with 5.0.4 and the newest Version 6 version.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:07 PM
Administrator

What type of client UI is this & what STV are you using?

In Detailed Setup -> Advanced, do you have 3D Acceleration on? That can speed up some things, but if you are running on a secondary monitor, it can slow it down due to DirectX running best on the primary monitor. Secondary/Primary is a setting in Windows & you can change which monitor is the primary.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:15 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
What type of client UI is this & what STV are you using?

In Detailed Setup -> Advanced, do you have 3D Acceleration on? That can speed up some things, but if you are running on a secondary monitor, it can slow it down due to DirectX running best on the primary monitor. Secondary/Primary is a setting in Windows & you can change which monitor is the primary.

- Andy
3D Acceleration is turned on and I only have one monitor.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:26 PM
Sage Aficionado

What version of Java are you running? I found the pre-1.6 releases caused lag in the SageTV interface.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:38 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTwannabe View Post
What version of Java are you running? I found the pre-1.6 releases caused lag in the SageTV interface.

I'm running 1.6.0_01

I've ALWAYS had this issue with Sage no matter what Java version.. and it's really annoying.. I just got a Hauppauge HVR-1600 and I can't watch it full Screen with SageTV or Beyond TV it runs less then 1 FPS however as soon as you run it into windows mode it's fine and dandy!

Tell me something good comes from running a full Java app?

For the Meantime I use the Software that comes with the card and I watch my Tv Full Screen with no issues and no slow-downs
Old 05-22-2007, 12:22 AM
Administrator

Did you ever contact SageTV tech support? You can provide a debug log and System Info listing so they have more info about what is happening on your system.

See p. 194 of the v6.1 PDF manual regarding using the Info command on the System Info screen to get a text file w/all the info on that screen.

You haven't given much info about your system, so if you want more help from people in the forum, you should probably give more details -- such as the video card, Windows resolution, etc., along with some SageTV settings such as your video renderer and decoder.

Make sure DirectX and your video card drivers are up to date too.

Are you referring to the UI, video playback, or both? I thought you meant the UI, but now you mentioned playback. Without full details, there isn't much for people to go on; for example: I asked what type of client & STV you are using, but you never answered that part. If the UI isn't slow, that may be irrelevent, but if someone is going to try to help, you'll need to give details.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:15 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruWRX View Post
ITell me something good comes from running a full Java app?
Before you start bashing java, the entire video playback is done using Windows own drivers/DLLs, and the mpeg decoder, nether of which are Java. BTV is also not written in Java
Quote:
For the Meantime I use the Software that comes with the card and I watch my Tv Full Screen with no issues and no slow-downs
Which video renderer are you using? Your system may have a problem with VMR9 (I would imaging the other SW that works would be either using overlay or default/VMR7 renderers).

Also note that with VMR9, it requires more CPU to display the video when the screen resolution is bigger.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:39 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruWRX View Post
I'm running 1.6.0_01

I've ALWAYS had this issue with Sage no matter what Java version.. and it's really annoying.. I just got a Hauppauge HVR-1600 and I can't watch it full Screen with SageTV or Beyond TV it runs less then 1 FPS however as soon as you run it into windows mode it's fine and dandy!
I think you've got some major system problems if that's what you're seeing. What's your hardware? Maybe DirectX is hosed. What renderer are you using? Decoder? Is it just the video, or the interface too.

Quote:
Tell me something good comes from running a full Java app?
The broadest platform support in the industry. Sage is the only PVR app I'm aware of that runs on every major OS (Windows, Linux, and OSX).
Old 05-23-2007, 05:59 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Did you ever contact SageTV tech support? You can provide a debug log and System Info listing so they have more info about what is happening on your system.

See p. 194 of the v6.1 PDF manual regarding using the Info command on the System Info screen to get a text file w/all the info on that screen.

You haven't given much info about your system, so if you want more help from people in the forum, you should probably give more details -- such as the video card, Windows resolution, etc., along with some SageTV settings such as your video renderer and decoder.

Make sure DirectX and your video card drivers are up to date too.

Are you referring to the UI, video playback, or both? I thought you meant the UI, but now you mentioned playback. Without full details, there isn't much for people to go on; for example: I asked what type of client & STV you are using, but you never answered that part. If the UI isn't slow, that may be irrelevent, but if someone is going to try to help, you'll need to give details.

- Andy
I have not contacted Tech Support yet and I will try out that debug logging

My system is Windows XP Pro
1Gb ram
500GB of hard drive space
ATI Radeon 9600XT
AMD Sempron 3800+
1680x1050-32Bit

for the STV im using 5.0.4.92
Old 05-23-2007, 06:01 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielm View Post
Which video renderer are you using? Your system may have a problem with VMR9 (I would imaging the other SW that works would be either using overlay or default/VMR7 renderers).

Also note that with VMR9, it requires more CPU to display the video when the screen resolution is bigger.
VMR9 but it does the same in overlay as well...

I tried this Program out last night GB-PVR funny I thought it was going to be laggy in Full screen but it was quick something that I wished Sage would do.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:04 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
I think you've got some major system problems if that's what you're seeing. What's your hardware? Maybe DirectX is hosed. What renderer are you using? Decoder? Is it just the video, or the interface too.
Using the Nvidia Decoder for MPEG2 and it's Both.. if you run it windowed it's quick as heck... but as soon as you press the full screen button it's painfully slow going up or down on the menu and Live tv is unwatchable...
Old 05-23-2007, 07:42 AM
SageTVaholic

Have you tried turning off 3D accelleration?
Old 05-23-2007, 08:21 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Have you tried turning off 3D accelleration?
That was it!! runs super now!!!

So what does that mean my Current video card is not powerful enough? I had planned on replacing that with the new system
Old 05-23-2007, 09:41 AM
Administrator

As I mentioned above, make sure that DirectX and your video card drivers are up to date. (If they already are, maybe someone else knows a video driver setting to check.)

- Andy
Old 05-23-2007, 09:42 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
As I mentioned above, make sure that DirectX and your video card drivers are up to date. (If they already are, maybe someone else knows a video driver setting to check.)

- Andy
yep they are updated to the newest version
Old 05-23-2007, 09:43 AM
SageTVaholic

You might also try the Omega drivers for your ATI card.. They offer more tweaking options

B
Old 05-23-2007, 04:40 PM
Sage User

I've had problems with sage being really unresponsive in the menus when running in fullscreen exclusive mode, though it seems to eventually come back to acceptable performance. Normal fullscreen never presents a problem. So make sure you're not running in FSE mode.

Incidentally, my problem happens with a radeon X1950, so I don't think anyone can accuse my card of not being up to snuff. So I tend to stay away from FSE unless I actually have tearing problems. I thought sage had a custom allocator-presenter to prevent tearing? I guess that's another issue though.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:46 PM
Sage Advanced User

Yeah I never turned FSE on.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:44 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I've had problems with sage being really unresponsive in the menus when running in fullscreen exclusive mode, though it seems to eventually come back to acceptable performance. Normal fullscreen never presents a problem. So make sure you're not running in FSE mode.
I've never seen that, and I've run FSE since it was first added to Sage. I think if you're (the generic "you") having problems with fullscreen and 3D Accelleration you've got D3D or driver problems.

Might be worth running dxdiag to see if it complains about anything.

Quote:
Incidentally, my problem happens with a radeon X1950, so I don't think anyone can accuse my card of not being up to snuff. So I tend to stay away from FSE unless I actually have tearing problems. I thought sage had a custom allocator-presenter to prevent tearing?
You need a custom allocator-presenter for FSE, which is what prevents tearing.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:36 PM
Sage User

Quote:
You need a custom allocator-presenter for FSE, which is what prevents tearing.
Ah, so the custom allocator-presenter is what makes FSE possible in the first place then? Makes sense. Unfortunately, it doesn't do a very good job at preventing all tearing, whether I have vsync enabled or not, so I see that line creep up the screen 3 or 4 times every few minutes, whereas I never see it in MCE. So I've switched FSE off (since it tends to lock up if you flip away from it too often). I might just go with MCE for all movie playback, but it's kind of a PITA switching these apps around.