SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 07-03-2007, 07:02 PM
Sage Aficionado

Power Management & Crappy Manual...

Sorry to vent but WTF?
FYI: Runnning SageTV V5

I've a stable STV Install & love it.

While attempting to implement S3 Sleep, I've achieved everything I need from my motherboard, and USBUIRT, and my remote.

Reading the SageTV manual I gather that CTRL-Z will put Sage to sleep. Once in sleep mode, Sage will allow the PC to enter Suspend mode. Got it. Very nice.

But the manual is dead wrong when it implies that CTRL-Z will wake SageTV from sleep.

I can sit at my computer, and hit Ctrl-Z, and sage dutifly dissappears into sleepdom.

MY BIG BEEF? ANOTHER CTRL-Z DOES NOT AWAKEN IT. Despite what the manual says. (I'd cut-n-paste, but the manual seems to be copy protected.)

WTF am I missing? I'm very close to implementing S3/Sleep/Awake and I figured Sage would be the least of my problems.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:47 PM
SageTVaholic

The 'power' command (ctrl-z) will wake SageTV, but it will not (and can not) wake your PC from suspend unless you have set the ctrl-z key combination set to wake the computer (I think some BIOS allow you to set a custom key combo).

If ctrl-z is not waking SageTV from sleep at all, then maybe there is another app running that takes focus when sage is in standby? This could prevent the key combo from ever reaching sage to wake it up.

Aloha,
Mike
Old 07-03-2007, 09:01 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to Ryokurin Send a message via AIM to Ryokurin Send a message via Yahoo to Ryokurin
Yep. check your bios. Some will allow you to set it to a certain keypress. or will tell you what you need to press. You can also use a utility like MCE Standby Tool to set windows to allow the keyboard to wake the computer up from sleep.

Personally, I use the MCE remote to do that.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:07 PM
Administrator

OK, so what part of the manual are you finding hard to understand? Maybe I'll change it the next time it gets updated.

For the v5 manual, there is a section for Sleeping, Waking, and Exiting SageTV, starting on p. 19. On p. 20 is the section for Waking SageTV, which tells you how to wake SageTV -- if in screen saver mode, just about any input will wake it. If it is in the system tray, you can click on its tray icon.

The last section of Chapter 5 lists all the commands, including Power, Power On, and Power Off. Power is set to Ctrl+Z, by default. Yes, it can be used to wake SageTV, but you have to be able to send the command to SageTV. If it is in screen saver mode, then you can use Ctrl+Z to send the command to SageTV, IF the window has focus... just like any keyboard input for SageTV. If it is in the system tray, then you obviously can't send commands via a keystroke because the SageTV window doesn't have focus. This is normal Windows behavior. In that case, you would use the mouse, or some utility that can send commands directly to the SageTV application via Windows messages.

So, if you want to be able to wake SageTV via Ctrl+Z, make sure you have SageTV configured to go into screen saver mode when you put it to sleep.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 07-04-2007, 04:09 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
OK, so what part of the manual are you finding hard to understand? Maybe I'll change it the next time it gets updated.
So, if you want to be able to wake SageTV via Ctrl+Z, make sure you have SageTV configured to go into screen saver mode when you put it to sleep.

- Andy
Manual is fine. I should know better than to post when inebriated.

The screen saver setting seems to have fixed it. Previously, SageTV was minimizing to task bar. I expected ctrl-z to bring it back.

I would actually prefer to wake SageTV from the task bar style sleep function. Is there a way to do that (using USBUIRT to emulate keystrokes through 'Eventghost').

Last edited by Slack; 07-04-2007 at 04:11 AM.
Old 07-04-2007, 07:43 AM
SageTVaholic

Sage will respond to commands while it's in the tray, but your remote needs to be able to specifically target it.