SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 07-08-2007, 12:51 AM
Sage User

Send a message via Yahoo to skilgore
Unhappy Blinking screen on "Media Extender is starting up" splash

Ok... I recently purchased my mediaMVP extender license and was running it fine with sage 6.19... but today, I suddenly have problems getting my MVP to start up.

Upon plugging in the MVP, it contacts DHCP... loads application... and then displays the Sage "starting up" screen and just sets there flashing that splash screen forever. Blinks about once a second.

Server is Windows XP SP2. Firewall is disabled. I tried switching my NIC to 10 Mbit... no luck. Loaded Hauppauge's MVP software on a second PC and it loads and connects just fine. Go back to Sage's and same problem. Also, tried upgrading Java to latest version at server... no change.

The only change I have made prior to the problem is adding the NVIDIA purevideo codec. I cannot see how that would have caused this issue.

I am running a D3A version of the MVP. However, it was working fine yesterday. Not sure what has caused this problem to crop up.

I love SageTV and don't intend on changing platforms... would just like to get my MVP working... any suggestions?

Thanks in advance... this is one of the best user/support forums I've seen.
Old 07-08-2007, 03:19 AM
SageTVaholic

Whenever my MVP behaves like that, I will unplug for a while. It seems to clear any cache on the MVP. Try 5 to 10 mins.

B
Old 07-08-2007, 10:12 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjenkins View Post
Whenever my MVP behaves like that, I will unplug for a while. It seems to clear any cache on the MVP. Try 5 to 10 mins.

B
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I've tried that, too. In fact I had it unplugged all night this last time. No affect.

The MVP is behaving as if it's hosed... but I know it's functional since it connects to the Hauppauge software... and yes, I am making sure that the Hauppauge server is completely off when trying the Sage server. I've rebooted the server numerous times. Tried unregistering my extender license, rebooting and re-registering it.

The server and MVP box are both plugged into the same five port linksys 10/100 switch. I've tried plugging each into different ports and power cycling all network equipment. Did a continuity check on my cat5 cabling. I can't find any network related issues.

I've searched the forum and found several people with problems hanging at the loading application screen... I'm getting past that and am seeing the SageTV splash screen that sits there and flashes on and off. Couldn't find anyone else reporting that behavior.

Very frustrating since I thought I had the setup to the point where I didn't have to mess with it much anymore. Of course, I have a PVR1600 on the way... so about to open a whole new can of worms.

Any suggestions for what else to try would be very much appreciated.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:32 PM
SageTVaholic

Try deleting the "clients" folder on the server. This is where the MVP stores its properties files. Sometimes this is found to help out on some issues.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:59 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
Try deleting the "clients" folder on the server. This is where the MVP stores its properties files. Sometimes this is found to help out on some issues.

Gerry
Just tried it and, no luck.
... I'm about ready to do a complete reinstall of Sage... but hate to do that since I always end up losing alot of stuff when I do. Think a re-install over the top of my existing setup would do anything?

Thanks for the help.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:50 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilgore View Post
Just tried it and, no luck.
... I'm about ready to do a complete reinstall of Sage... but hate to do that since I always end up losing alot of stuff when I do. Think a re-install over the top of my existing setup would do anything?

Thanks for the help.
Sometime a reinstall over the top doesn't fix an issue a clean install would.

Well copy out your entire SageTV directory somewhere. Uninstall and do a clean install just to see if it fixes your issue. If it doesn't, copy your backup on top on your new install to get it back to original condition. (And while you're at it you may as well install the new beta 6.2.4)

BUT-before you do.

You said you loaded Hauppauge's software on a second PC and it worked. Well install it on your Sage machine and see if it works. If not, the problem is there on your PC.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:35 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
Sometime a reinstall over the top doesn't fix an issue a clean install would.

Well copy out your entire SageTV directory somewhere. Uninstall and do a clean install just to see if it fixes your issue. If it doesn't, copy your backup on top on your new install to get it back to original condition. (And while you're at it you may as well install the new beta 6.2.4)

BUT-before you do.

You said you loaded Hauppauge's software on a second PC and it worked. Well install it on your Sage machine and see if it works. If not, the problem is there on your PC.

Gerry
Success. Just completely re-loaded Sage (with 6.2.4) and the problem has cleared up.

Again... Thanks for the help.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:19 PM
Sage User

I just started having the same problem, tonight... I came home, turned on the TV and there it was...A MVP - Loading Application - screen blinking at me...
After reading this thread, I copied the entire SageTV directory to a backup, uninstalled SageTV, installed and copied my Sage Properities and Wiz file to the new directory. I then restarted my MVP, and no change.....The same blinking screen. Does anyone else have any ideas???

Thanks in Advance

P.S
I'm still running version 5.4 - didn't see the need to upgrade....

P.S.S

Just noticed that a new "clients" directory was not built. Made one, but I don't see any client.properities files being created...

Last edited by Ralnee; 09-04-2007 at 09:24 PM.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:37 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralnee View Post
I just started having the same problem, tonight... I came home, turned on the TV and there it was...A MVP - Loading Application - screen blinking at me...
After reading this thread, I copied the entire SageTV directory to a backup, uninstalled SageTV, installed and copied my Sage Properities and Wiz file to the new directory. I then restarted my MVP, and no change.....The same blinking screen. Does anyone else have any ideas???

Thanks in Advance

P.S
I'm still running version 5.4 - didn't see the need to upgrade....

P.S.S

Just noticed that a new "clients" directory was not built. Made one, but I don't see any client.properities files being created...

The problem seems to be fixed. I'm documentating this in case someon else has the same problem that I did. I has to statically (?) assign the two IP that each MVP was using. The second ip is the dummy and the first IP seems to be the one the the MVP uses. I had to do this for both MVP's.

Once completed, I saw to property files appear in the clients directory...

This was already documented in this thread