SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 09-09-2007, 12:37 AM
Sage Icon

Hauppauge PVR 150 IR help please

I cannot get Hauppauge or Sage to respond to the IR remote. I don't know how to assure that the IR receiver is good. Here's what I've done:

New PVR150 with Blaster - just bought it.
Installed from CD.
Reboot
Setup Sage to use the '150. Records just fine.
Read Sage's manual on the Hauppauge IR blaster setup. Seems incorrect and vague. Tried to follow. IR program is running. Did restart IR several times. Stop/start Sage, etc. etc.
Stopped Sage.
Installed Hauppauge Win2000 viewer. Reboot.
Remote doesn't work there either.
Ran Hauppage IR config program. When I tell it to emit an IR blaster code, the IR emitter does flash. It does not flash using the Hauppauge remote.
Tried the new remote on the Hauppauge PVR USB2 that I have. WOrks fine. Remote known good.
Check blaster's plug, etc.

Stumped.
Maybe the IR receiver is bad.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:31 AM
Sage Icon

Stevech,

What type of cable or satellite box are you trying to control?

I attached a file called irhelper.zip, it contains a stand alone program called irhelper.exe, and two working IR files. To use the irhelper.exe program, simply launch the program. Then point the remote at the IR receiver. You will then be able to see the codes that are received by the IR receiver, and you will know if it works.

The IR codes included are for a Dish Network JVC-301 recever and a Motorola DCT-2000 cable box.

When I was setting up my system, sometimes I would have to point the remote at the sensor as close as two inches away. Other times I could program it without getting that close. When I had problems, usually the problems were related to the "repeatcount" (on both boxes) and the 56K (56000) parameter (on the Dish Network receiver).

Here is are parts of my IR files. Notice the Motorola DCT-2000 was setup for a repeatcount value of 10 and the JVC-301 with a repeatcount value of 4. You can determine the best value of the repeatcount parameter with a bit of experimentation with the value. Stop SageTV when changing the values, then start it again to test the cable to satellite response.

MotorolaDCT2000 37616 411 3 600 1000
RepeatCount 10

jvc301 56000 411 2 200 200
RepeatCount 4
Attached Files
File Type: zip irhelper.zip (19.2 KB, 313 views)
Old 09-09-2007, 12:28 PM
Sage Icon

I'm not trying to control a box - just use the IR receiver to get command to Sage.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:41 PM
Administrator

Were you using a Hauppauge remote in this PC previously? (Where is the PVR USB2 that you mention?)

It sounds like the Hauppauge remote was never configured for SageTV on the system -- if that is the case, check this FAQ.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 09-09-2007, 04:24 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
Were you using a Hauppauge remote in this PC previously? (Where is the PVR USB2 that you mention?)

It sounds like the Hauppauge remote was never configured for SageTV on the system -- if that is the case, check this FAQ.

- Andy
This is a newly setup PC - just added the '150 - Sage previously installed. The PVR USB2 is on a different computer. The handheld remotes are known good.
I've not been able to get Sage OR Hauppauge's software to respond to the remote. So I either have a driver/ini problem or a broken IR receiver.

There is a irrremote.ini already in my c:\windows directory. It is newer than the zip file on this forum. It begins:

FGR 10/16/2006 Support firmware V2; 32-bit IR application
; FILEVERSION 2,51,24289,0
; includes support for both Classic black, Silver PVR remote, and new extended Remote
; (extended remote has Music/Videos/Pictures and seperate NAV buttons among others)
; requires ir32.exe, irremote.dll 2.45.22230 or later
; Supports Key Codes 64-127 via RC5 'field' bit
; support latest IR HW on WinTV-USB2, and "IR Blaster" RC5/RC6 receiver
; adds support for retail apps to work with MS MCE "beanbag" Remote on non-MCE systems
; adds support for HCWHID custom interface

Last edited by stevech; 09-09-2007 at 04:33 PM.
Old 09-09-2007, 04:49 PM
Administrator

The question is whether there is a [SageTV] section in the irremote.ini file... if you installed the Hauppauge software after SageTV, then there isn't & that FAQ has the solution.

And, to test the remote: make sure ir.exe is running, then load a blank file named "debug.txt" (no quotes, of course) in Notepad, make sure Notepad has focus, and start pressing remote buttons. If you see nothing in Notepad, then the remote signals aren't getting received by the Hauppauge software.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:56 PM
Sage Icon

That trick using notepad and debug.txt was great! Allowed me to know I don't have to exchange the hardware (was that trick in the Sage manual? Also, I don't recall seeing the Sage manual stating that I need to get the Sage section of the ini in place if Hauppauge is loaded after Sage.)

Working now!!
Odd.
First I appended the Sage section from the ini file in the FAQ to the ini that came with this Hauppauge 150 blaster. Restart ir.exe, restart sage server, no work. Over and over.

Then I just used the the old ini from the FAQ. Restart ir.exe and sage. It works. Tried again using the newer ini - doesn't work.

So sage doesn't like the new ini for some reason.
enclosed
Attached Files
File Type: zip IrremoteNoWorkie.zip (6.9 KB, 253 views)
Old 09-09-2007, 09:18 PM
Administrator

There's more to editing the ini file for it to work with another application than just adding a section like [SageTV], that's why the FAQ directs you to an ini file to download & the post w/the download mentions an edit to the [applications] section if you only add the newer [SageTV] section instead of using one of the preconfigured ini files.

There is also a download documenting the ini file with all the info I know about it so you can extend it even more.

- Andy
Old 09-10-2007, 10:53 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
There's more to editing the ini file for it to work with another application than just adding a section like [SageTV], that's why the FAQ directs you to an ini file to download & the post w/the download mentions an edit to the [applications] section if you only add the newer [SageTV] section instead of using one of the preconfigured ini files.

There is also a download documenting the ini file with all the info I know about it so you can extend it even more.

- Andy
The INI that came with the '150 blaster is years younger than the INI in the FAQ. I suspect that the INI in the FAQ was pre-blaster and may need updating.