SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 09-13-2007, 10:08 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to jaminben
Question Multiple Tuners & Movie Codecs

Hi, New to SageTV since yesterday Nice programme so far but I have a few problems with the Tv and Movies part of the App. which I was hoping someone might be able to help me out with.

Firstly I see on the product info page that SageTv supports mutiple tuners, I have a Nova T-500 dual tuner and a HVR 4000 DVB-T / DVB-S tuner. However I can only get one of the Nova T-500 tuners working Dev 1 path 1. Tuner Dev 1 path0 tuner always returns the error -40x800700aa. Anyone else have this particular card and has it working? Any tips would be great.

After reading the product info I also assumed I'd be able to watch one Tv channel whilst recording another. I have tried various times to get it to do this with the working Nova T-500 tuner and the HVR 4000 tuner but again it returns the error -40x800700aa. Does SageTV support multi channel recordings etc?

Does SageTV support DVB S/S2 tuners? I'm in the UK and was hoping to get the Free to Air channels including BBC HD.

Having trouble getting movies which are stored on a local and networked drive, all xvid, divx and WMV appear fine but H.264 and .MKV files dont appear in the list/preview pane. The only way I can get these to work is to maually search each time for a specific movie.

Where or how can I change the default codecs used?

Will SageTV be able to support multiseat setups? i.e have 1 or 2 pcs streaming tv/film from another pc which has all the tv tuners installed and is also being used to display SageTV. (Media Portal TVe3 setup)

Many thanks for any replys

jaminben
Old 09-13-2007, 12:47 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminben View Post
Firstly I see on the product info page that SageTv supports mutiple tuners, I have a Nova T-500 dual tuner and a HVR 4000 DVB-T / DVB-S tuner. However I can only get one of the Nova T-500 tuners working Dev 1 path 1. Tuner Dev 1 path0 tuner always returns the error -40x800700aa. Anyone else have this particular card and has it working? Any tips would be great.
Had a problem recently where one tuner on a Cinergy 2400i card wouldn't work due to IRQ sharing. Might be worth checking IRQs in device manager and moving the cards around if there is a share.

Quote:
After reading the product info I also assumed I'd be able to watch one Tv channel whilst recording another. I have tried various times to get it to do this with the working Nova T-500 tuner and the HVR 4000 tuner but again it returns the error -40x800700aa. Does SageTV support multi channel recordings etc?
Certainly does, 5 tuners in my case, others have more. Again sounds like something is wonky with the hardware.

Quote:
Does SageTV support DVB S/S2 tuners? I'm in the UK and was hoping to get the Free to Air channels including BBC HD.
The latest beta releases support DVB-S and h264 for your good to go for BBCHD and Sky. DVB-S2 appears to be working but I can't confirm 100% as it seems my CAM/CI is playing up when decoding S2 channels, works occasionally but fails the majority, in DVBViewer as well as Sage.

Quote:
Having trouble getting movies which are stored on a local and networked drive, all xvid, divx and WMV appear fine but H.264 and .MKV files dont appear in the list/preview pane. The only way I can get these to work is to maually search each time for a specific movie.

Where or how can I change the default codecs used?
To get MKV to appear to you need to add the extension to a line in sagetv.properties (if using server mode) or sagetvclient.properties (otherwise). Can't remember it off hand but scan through and you'll see the other types listed, append .mkv to the end of the list. MKV support is better in the betas than the current release version.

Codecs can be configured in setup. I've had great results with CCCP codec pack (xvid etc), Nvidia Purevideo (mpeg2) and Cyberlink PowerDVD (h264).

Quote:
Will SageTV be able to support multiseat setups? i.e have 1 or 2 pcs streaming tv/film from another pc which has all the tv tuners installed and is also being used to display SageTV. (Media Portal TVe3 setup)
Definately. You have the choice of Placeshifter or SageClient for PCs or MediaMVP boxes for other TVs. I have the server in the living room feeding the main TV, laptops in 2 rooms using Placeshifter and also use the Placeshifter client if I'm working away from home and stuck in a hotel.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:28 PM
Sage Icon

Thankyou for the reply Mark SS

Unfortunalty it seems I cant even do the simplest of things like add the extension to a line in sagetv.properties. Is there a good tutorial you could point me in the direction of,I've look around but havent really found much that makes any sense to me.

jaminben

edit: Well it appears that updating to the beta version has allowed me to use the both the tuners on the Nova t-500 and also record 2 channels and watch another Two problems down many more to go.

Last edited by jaminben; 09-13-2007 at 02:33 PM.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:43 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Unfortunalty it seems I cant even do the simplest of things like add the extension to a line in sagetv.properties. Is there a good tutorial you could point me in the direction of,I've look around but havent really found much that makes any sense to me.
There's a blurb about it on p. 228 of the v6.1 PDF manual in your SageTV install dir. Essentially, to edit a properties file: exit SageTV completely & edit the file using a plain text editor, like Windows Notepad with word wrap turned off.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:55 PM
Sage Icon

Thanks for the tip Opus4, seems that having the latest beta version was a good idea as I've now found the correct line to add .mkv movies to the list. Another problem solved, on a roll now
Old 09-14-2007, 05:54 AM
Sage Icon

I have a few more questions if someone has the time to reply, Please.

The Tv guide doesnt seem to be updating correctly with only one channel E4 showing info, which is the best guide to use for UK TV?

I've been adding my movies to the IMDB database bit in my videos but its taking a long time doing each individual movie. Is there a way to scan the whole of my movie HDD at once and then edit the info if needed. Also some cover art isnt correct once I've updated the movie, where and how would you change the cover art?

EDIToh, my bad. I've found where it stores the images. Still need to know if its possible to scan a whole drive rather than indivual files.

Some of my films are in .img/.iso format and dont play. Now with media portal you could load daemon tools and have it auto load the file which would then play it. Is there anything similar to this for SageTV?

Still not sure about changing the codecs, any tutorials available for this?

At the moment I'm using the trial demo (15 days) while I make up my mind to see if moving from Media Portal is still a good idea. I know the programme is'nt all that expensive but I was wondering if its possible to upgrade an old installation to the latest. My brother has SageTV v5.0.4.92 which he doesnt use anymore as he prefers Media Portal. Bit cheeky but worth a shot and I expect any Sage representative would say BUY the full product again.

Thanks Inadvance.

jaminben

Last edited by jaminben; 09-14-2007 at 06:09 AM.