SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 09-13-2007, 01:13 PM
Sage User

MY wMVP works just fine

I saw a lot of people saying that the wireless of the mvp didn't work. I just wanted to be one person posting a positive.. mine worked just fine. The wife likes it, she things it works fine.. she will like it more when we get to take a calm Sunday afternoon to watch the shows we are too busy to see during the week.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:51 PM
Sage Icon

Great, good to hear that someone has a good experience.

How do you have it hooked up? How far from a wireless AP?

Matt
Old 09-13-2007, 02:06 PM
Sage User

Well, originally I set it up upstairs.. my house is ~2800 square feet, and the wireless router is in the basement on one side and the first tv I tried it on is upstairs though, on the same side of the house. I have also moved it to the basement roughly 25 feet from the base station.

I had to downgrade my wireless security from wpa2 to wep because the mvp doesn't support wpa(which is crap, but not sage's fault of course). Once I went through the tedious processes of entering in a 128bit key for the wep I had no problems connecting and running.

I am running the most current version of sagetv linux oem (as of a week and a half ago).

I am going to start my rebuild process to move it to a headless system and have two mvps and one client to use to access it. As well as ultimately having my pvr-350 as well as a pvr-500(already ordered) in the headless system for 3 live streams possible at once. Never again to I intend to have a recording conflict :-)
Old 09-13-2007, 02:14 PM
Sage Icon

I had mine running two floors away for about a week, I think. I had to create an extra antenna though for it to connect. Worked fine sometimes, would stutter madly other times. Was easier in the end to install some cat 5 than deal with the wife.

Matt
Old 09-15-2007, 12:58 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmots View Post
Once I went through the tedious processes of entering in a 128bit key for the wep I had no problems connecting and running.
for 128 bit keys, I use hexadecimal. And I use A through F to spell out a silly sentence of a small number of repeating words using those letters. Easy to remember. Like:
FeedBeef
BadFadDad
(some products force all upper case)

or some such, for 26 digits. Perhaps 6 repeats of a 4 letter word, or 4 repeats of a 6 letter phrase.

Last edited by stevech; 09-15-2007 at 01:03 AM.
Old 09-15-2007, 04:52 PM
SageTVaholic

My wMVP usually worked pretty well (in wireless mode) when recording quality was 2gig/hr. It wasn't perfect, but it worked pretty well. It still worked OK at 3gig/hr, but it was a little worse. I didn't have any problems when I used a WRT54G as a wireless bridge, so the wMVP certainly isn't perfect. I think the wMVP really needs an "ideal" situation for it to work well consistently (no interference, strong signal, a low video bitrate).
Old 09-15-2007, 07:45 PM
Sage Advanced User

Wink

Wireless bridge from Buffalo Ehternet Converter works excellent making a 4or 1 wired Media MVP wireless. People come over they I tell them this is what good wireless system can do.. I have two AP from Buffalo set to 100% power running in the house along with a wired router.

SAGETV Server: AMD X64 OC 2.4GHz 1GB/Ram, 500GB HDD, WMCE 2005 SP2
4 - PVR-150 tuners
5 - Media Mvp
Old 09-17-2007, 01:27 PM
Sage Icon

I'm using that Buffalo WiFi bridge with 4 port switch. Placed up high. One drywall in the path. Distance just 30-40 ft. Connected to wired MVP. Wireless part works fine. Has about 25Mbps of net IP layer yield, in plain 802.11g mode.

Above, someone said they have a WDS repeater/range extender in the data path. This reduces speed by 50%. Not advised. To expand coverage, need to use an access point nearby (attic?) with cat5 wired back to the router.

For streaming, with mixed vendor products in WiFi, you should disable turbo, frame bursting, and all that non-interoperable rot, on both router and clients.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:46 PM
Sage Advanced User

Wink MVP Setup with Wired and Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevech View Post
I'm using that Buffalo WiFi bridge with 4 port switch. Placed up high. One drywall in the path. Distance just 30-40 ft. Connected to wired MVP. Wireless part works fine. Has about 25Mbps of net IP layer yield, in plain 802.11g mode.

Above, someone said they have a WDS repeater/range extender in the data path. This reduces speed by 50%. Not advised. To expand coverage, need to use an access point nearby (attic?) with cat5 wired back to the router.

For streaming, with mixed vendor products in WiFi, you should disable turbo, frame bursting, and all that non-interoperable rot, on both router and clients.
This is how I do it... but I use Buffalo Ethernet Converter with Frame Brusting Mode 125Mbp High Speed Mode (100% wireless status) with MVP
[img]I removed the image [/img]

Last edited by tipstir; 09-18-2007 at 03:45 PM.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:27 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmots View Post
I saw a lot of people saying that the wireless of the mvp didn't work. I just wanted to be one person posting a positive.. mine worked just fine. The wife likes it, she things it works fine.. she will like it more when we get to take a calm Sunday afternoon to watch the shows we are too busy to see during the week.
I do think that this thing is better than its reputation. Mine was setup in a few minutes and works just fine with DVD standard quality.