SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 09-30-2007, 07:47 PM
Sage User

Video stuttering problems

I am having problems with video playbacks stuttering. Now, the problem isn't with the SageTV recordings, it's with any other type of video played, XVid, DivX, DVD, mka, everything I've tried so far stutters, except the files recorded with Sage. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you need info, make sure to ask.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:54 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdrakehi View Post
I am having problems with video playbacks stuttering. Now, the problem isn't with the SageTV recordings, it's with any other type of video played, XVid, DivX, DVD, mka, everything I've tried so far stutters, except the files recorded with Sage. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you need info, make sure to ask.
In other to provide assistance, other users need you to provide your system specs (STV version, any customisations - i.e. SageMC installed, PC specs, etc) not have other users ask for them.

Last edited by infocus13; 09-30-2007 at 08:02 PM.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:07 PM
Sage User

Ok, running Sage 6.1.9.143.
P4 3Ghz, 1 GB RAM,
Radeon X300 128MB RAM driving a 37" Vizio HDTV @ 1360x768 through the VGA port
Hauppage 500MCE
Windows XP MCE
1 120GB maxter IDE
1 300GB maxtor SATA
1 500GB WD SATA

I have tried troubleshooting the problem by playing videos in other applications, and still finding the same result. I have made sure all my hard drives are running in their most efficient manner, tried different codecs, uninstalled/reinstalled codecs, used full codec packs and used bare minimum codecs to meet my needs, all with the same result.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:22 PM
Sage Advanced User

Testing videos in other apps (i.e. windows media player) is generally a good indication whether the problem is app-specific (i.e. STV) or hardware/windows specific.

Given the videos stutter in other apps outside STV, I suggest the problem is with you windows install / codecs and/or hardware. I think the CPU should be fine, but how old is your video card?

Also, I'd suggest staying away from codec packs. All you really need to play video content in STV is an mp2/h264 decoded (cyberlink powerdvd is great), xvid and thats it.

You should try to change your media player from direct show to sagetv player in detailed setup>video/audio. also upgrade to STV 6.2. if that fails, wipe your windows install and start again.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:30 PM
Sage Icon

Agreed its' display adapter, display adapter driver, codec issue.

Unfortunately since you have installed a codec pack you may be in for some work to get everything straightened out.

The newer nvidia cards offer hardware support for quite a few formats, might be something to consider but really I think it's in software. I use on board video and have non troubles, granted its an x3000 but still on board video leaves much to be desired.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:32 PM
Sage User

The video card is under 2 years old. As is the computer. I had the same problem with the computer a while back, and I screwed with my sage installation and ended up having to reload windows, I remeber the ordeal that was and so that route is really not an option, along with the termoil it would cause with my wife.
This all wouldn't be a problem if I didn't download a lot of my TV shows so I can get them in HD, and watch them the day after they air, and thy are only availible in xvid/divx. Anything captured comes out fine. So does the Cyberlink decoder include decoding of the xvid/divx formats?
Old 09-30-2007, 09:03 PM
Sage Icon

Do you have your video drives formatted with 64K block size? You might try downloading videos in different formats from www.crankygeeks.com or dl.tv to check if the stuttering occurs with videos you did not record.

I found that my old CPU, an Althlon XP+2800 was barely enough to playback compressed video with a MVP. An Athlon XP +2100 wasn't enough processor to playback without stuttering. Your processor sounds like it should be able to playback the compressed video with an MVP.

You might invest in disk imaging software, so that you don't have to do a scratch rebuild of your system! The disk imaging software is cheap compared to the downtime and hassle of doing a scratch system build.

Dave
Old 09-30-2007, 09:05 PM
Sage Icon

Also check your to make sure the needed ports are open between your SageTV computer and the MVP. I discovered that some of my video stuttering problems I experienced in the past occurred because ports were blocked.

Dave
Old 10-01-2007, 09:58 PM
Sage User

Ok, Uninstalling all codecs and codec packs, reinstalling just cyber PowerDVD and the XviD drivers did not fix the problems. The problems I am having are all with downloaded video files. The only files that I am NOT having a problem with are my own recorded/captured tv files. Now Dave, you mentioned about ports being between Sage and MVP. What is MVP?
Old 10-01-2007, 10:01 PM
Sage User

OK, MVP I am assuming is the media extender. I have no media extender, everything is being run off of the same computer.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:00 AM
Sage Aficionado

Do they play ok in Windows Media Player? Try downloading "Media Player Classic" it's very good to help troubleshoot and playback media files.