SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 10-25-2007, 04:20 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerdi View Post
For the SaveTV extender
Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

***Another famous quote from the Princess Bride; last time I quoted this film it confused everybody.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:10 PM
Sage Expert

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerdi View Post
I see that the NMT can RTSP.
I don't exactly know what it is.
But perhaps it is another point of my whishlist:
Replication of the remote control to a TCP/IP protocol?

Is there any expert that can confirm it?

(By the way: Did anyone have a look at the AB IPBox 900HD Or 9000HD?)
I'm with you on wondering about all these abilities. In addition, I'm really hoping that it has a few other things:

1) A nice, multi-function calculator
2) A full email solution (with lots of fonts to choose from)
3) A built-in camera (8mp or higher)
4) Hydrogen powered, so it doesn't contribute to global warming.

It really needs to have these abilities in order to compete with the other SageTV thin-client extenders out there.

Last edited by popechild; 10-25-2007 at 07:12 PM.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:21 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by popechild View Post
That's utter non-sense, there's no such thing as global warming.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:27 PM
Sage Advanced User

You're being ridiculous. I think that the core audience is demanding a device with the following:

1)The ability to dispense air freshener
2)Blending and food processing capacity
3)Capacity for love and pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by popechild View Post
I'm with you on wondering about all these abilities. In addition, I'm really hoping that it has a few other things:

1) A nice, multi-function calculator
2) A full email solution (with lots of fonts to choose from)
3) A built-in camera (8mp or higher)

It really needs to have these abilities in order to compete with the other SageTV thin-client extenders out there.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:35 PM
Sage Fanatic

Personally, I expect to plug it in and instantly bring about world peace. Otherwise, what's it good for but watching TV and who cares about that?
Old 10-25-2007, 08:41 PM
Administrator

I don't know about world peace, but in the spirit of the new features being discussed lately, I would like to mention one astonishing feature. I've been working on the manual for the HD extender & thought more info would be appreciated regarding the simple installation system that this new product brings to the market. This is the entire configuration section of the installation guide, copied exactly as it currently appears in the Word document:

Quote:
The SageTV HD Media Extender is very easy to connect: before going to bed one night, simply open the box and set the extender on the floor near your TV. While you sleep, the extender will connect itself to your TV and home network automatically. In the morning, you will find the extender nestled on a shelf and the remote will be next to your favorite seat, all ready for use. Note: this revolutionary new “Let-Itself-Equip System” (LIES ™) cannot operate if anyone attempts to watch the progress in any way.
- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:58 PM
Sage Aficionado

If we're talking about wishlists for this thing what about a beer tap on the side? That would be nice.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:12 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdcknsn View Post
If we're talking about wishlists for this thing what about a beer tap on the side? That would be nice.
Half the features, protocols, and options mentioned or requested on this thing are well over my head.

This one, however, is right up my alley.
Media Server / NAS:
Case: Thermaltake Armor CPU: AMD Opteron 1218 (2.6GHz Dual Core) Motherboard: ASUS MN2-LR Memory: 2GB Gfx Card: Headless Tuner: Hauppauge HD-PVR, Hauppauge PVR-350 (not in use) O/S: Windows 7 Sage: Latest RAID: On-Board Drives: 6 x 1.5TB SATA RAID-5, 2 x 80GB IDE RAID-1 (O/S) Storage: 7.5TB Total
Old 10-25-2007, 09:24 PM
SageTVaholic

But what does that mean for those who are parcelly challenged? Many take for granted the simple task of recieving a package and openning it up. In fact many find the experience exciting and even enjoyable. But for those living with uboxophobia, the situation is much different. The simple idea of breaching the protective seal on a carefully packaged parcel can stop these people in their tracks, and the process of retrieving the contents can be an long, excruciating process.

Of course looking past the small issues like that, what everybody really wants to know is what's going to power it. And while there are some good options given above, they're all wrong. The new extender will of course use quantum-anti-tauon-discriminators to extract pouon particles from pseudo-quantum-space. Those pouon particles will of course be routed thought the pouon-tauon differentialator which separates the pouon and tauon particles, the flux differential between which, when routed through a taupon collector can be focused into a pico-singularity. From there the extraordinary gravitational forces can be harnessed to generate enormous amounts of power. So much so that the extender will need it's own 20A, dedicated circuit since it will be providing power to the grid. Of course there needs to be a word of caution, since the extender will have at it's heart, a pico-singularity, care must be taken, once removed from it's protective, shielded shipping container, to prevent two or more extenders from being in close proximity to each other. The recommended minimum safe distance is 42 feet. In early testing of the extender, two were brought within 42 feet of each other, and were subsequently, and violently drawn to each other, resulting a catostrophic collapse both extender and the space around them, resulting in the destruction of the development lab. The accident pushed development back several months.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:24 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addict View Post
Half the features, protocols, and options mentioned or requested on this thing are well over my head.

This one, however, is right up my alley.
Especially if the tap were simply an extension of the beer server... MMM, beer over ethernet.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:39 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdcknsn View Post
Won't work for me

I need the beer tap to be on the front otherwise I can't get the glass underneath properly....

Andy.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:41 PM
Sage Fanatic

I would expect the tap to be wireless.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:43 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Of course looking past the small issues like that, what everybody really wants to know is what's going to power it. And while there are some good options given above, they're all wrong. The new extender will of course use quantum-anti-tauon-discriminators to extract pouon particles from pseudo-quantum-space.
Well, that's much better than depending on Dilithium crystals to power the extender. Rumor has it NASA is stock piling on all available crystals for some sort of new engine...

Quote:
So much so that the extender will need it's own 20A, dedicated circuit since it will be providing power to the grid.
Yup, the state of California is already working on an extender subsidy program.

Quote:
Of course there needs to be a word of caution, since the extender will have at it's heart, a pico-singularity, care must be taken, once removed from it's protective, shielded shipping container, to prevent two or more extenders from being in close proximity to each other.
That explains why Alcaida is preordering a few hundred. Do the Feds know about the extender?
Old 10-26-2007, 08:07 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarylFStein View Post
I would expect the tap to be wireless.
That's a billion-dollar idea if I ever heard one...
Old 10-26-2007, 08:45 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Of course there needs to be a word of caution, since the extender will have at it's heart, a pico-singularity...
Hmm... I was under the impression that the extender will have, at it's heart, an actual heart.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:17 AM
Sage Expert

Man you guys are all dreaming. You know good and well, that this thing will never see the light of day until the flux-capacitor is perfected. And we're at least 6 months away.

I mean, it's gonna take at least 6 giga-watts to run it.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:23 AM
Sage Aficionado

I just received an advance copy of the manual that Andy is working on, and it says on page 53 that after the LIES™ setup is complete, it bakes you a cake! I also have advance knowledge that it is going to look and behave exactly like a Weighted Companion Cube, which is simply the most brilliant design decision ever.

Still Alive!
Server: Antec SLK3800B, AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+, Biostar TForce 550, GeForce 7300LE, 1GB DDR2 800, 2 x HVR-1600, PVR-150MCE, 1.4TB HD Space, XP Pro, Java6, Latest SageTV Version
Old 10-26-2007, 11:09 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I mean, it's gonna take at least 6 giga-watts to run it.
They must be using the new 45nm fab process, the old flux capcitor needed 6 jiga-watts. (I think a jiga-watt is more than a giga-watt.)

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.

Last edited by tmiranda; 10-26-2007 at 11:11 AM.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:35 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
They must be using the new 45nm fab process, the old flux capcitor needed 6 jiga-watts. (I think a jiga-watt is more than a giga-watt.)
I think you mean the friga-watt. lol
Old 10-26-2007, 02:42 PM
Sage User

Thinnest client

I could imagine even a "thinner" client:
With only two connectors:
USB and HDMI (without any processor).
It is recognized by a thin server (little Computer with XScale) as a pseudo ethernet card (USB). You can send video and audio data to it (encoded) and it sends out the decoded signal at the hdmi end.

It would use only one chip of broadcom.