SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 11-07-2007, 04:16 PM
Sage User

NOOB with a QUESTION

Alright. I just heard of SageTV 2 hours ago and im ecstatic about it. Im just having trouble comprehending what is going on. Is there anyone out there that will give me a run down on how this works?

This is what I know...I think...

You connect SageTV box to your TV
You run SageTV software on your computer
THe SageTV box runs threw the ntework
Your able to watch anything on your computer to your TV
It also connects to the DirectTV?

Thats about all I know...will someone PLEASE fill me in with for info...THank you
Old 11-07-2007, 08:32 PM
Sage Icon

Start here:

http://www.sagetv.com/stvfaqs.html?sageSub=tv
Old 11-07-2007, 08:40 PM
Sage Aficionado

Once you go sage, you don't go back
Just a warning
Mo
Old 11-08-2007, 07:38 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt91 View Post
Ive already read that hole thing.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:57 AM
Sage Expert

It would be easier to help you fill in the gaps if we knew what your setup was; a generic plea for help is going to get generic answers.

Do you have DirectTV currently, or are you thinking about getting it? Do you have any experience with Home Theatre PC (HTPC) software, or is this your first time? Do you want to store videos on your computer and watch them on your TV, or just on a computer screen? Are you a computer hobbyist, or a complete novice?

"Help me, help you... Help MEE...... Help You"

Stu
Old 11-08-2007, 07:58 AM
Administrator

In short: the SageTV server computer connects to your TV source (cable, converter box, etc.) & the SageTV software records the TV shows using one or more tuners/capture cards. You can watch the recordings on the server computer (monitor or TV), and/or have clients on your local network to watch the recordings on other TVs. Those clients can be other PCs or extenders. There is a Placeshifter client to connect to your SageTV system via the internet when you are away from home. You can also import & play music and video files & view pictures.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:26 PM
Sage User

I am also a noob. This was my first build from scratch.

I am the IT guy where I work and was able to build a computer from parts. I got the Hauppage PVR-1600/SageTV/Placeshifter from SageTV. I have a DirecTV D-10 receiver.

I did get an eVga 6200 video card. I use the DVI out to connect to a 52" rear projection TV.

I setup the computer after the build with an AMD2400+, 1GB Memory, and a 160GB HD. I used the onboard audio. Follow the instructions closely (I found the Hauppage IR Blaster to be the hardest to get going).

I started the system up and am very pleased with the results. I have replaced the TIVO units in my house completely.

It can be done and done so easily!

BTW - I had to go get a much better motherboard, better processor and a larger HD. I have a great system now!

(Good Luck! - You'll love it!)

Last edited by cewtwo; 11-08-2007 at 08:29 PM.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:27 PM
Sage User

Sage TV has completely changed the way my wife and I watch TV. I'm using a throw away AMD 1200 thunderbird with 512MB ram, Geforce 2 GTS video card, PVR-500 tuner card, 160GB HD for OS and data, and just added a 500GB drive for Sage recordings. Even with that lowly system it runs great. I'm a grad student in college so throw away parts are what I have and can afford.

3 nights ago I had to take down my HTPC to install the 500GB drive and format it. She could have watched live TV in the other room, but she said that it's not worth it without Sage. We are both hooked.
Old 11-10-2007, 09:29 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainswor99 View Post
It would be easier to help you fill in the gaps if we knew what your setup was; a generic plea for help is going to get generic answers.

Do you have DirectTV currently, or are you thinking about getting it? Do you have any experience with Home Theatre PC (HTPC) software, or is this your first time? Do you want to store videos on your computer and watch them on your TV, or just on a computer screen? Are you a computer hobbyist, or a complete novice?

"Help me, help you... Help MEE...... Help You"

Stu
Alright there bub calm down. Im just tryin to figure out how this whole thing works. Yes I have directTV, no i have no experience with HTPC's. Yes I have experience with computers. All im trying to do is watch half a Tera of IFO/VOB backed-up DVDs from my computer to the TV. And mabye music and pictures also.

All Im wondering is how everything gets connected. If I don't wana watch TV on my computer do I still need a TV Tuner card for my comptuer. DOes SageTV need a TVtuner card to work? All I want is a run down on the "loop". What gets connected to where, how this works with that. Thats all.
Old 11-10-2007, 09:36 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
In short: the SageTV server computer connects to your TV source (cable, converter box, etc.) & the SageTV software records the TV shows using one or more tuners/capture cards. You can watch the recordings on the server computer (monitor or TV), and/or have clients on your local network to watch the recordings on other TVs. Those clients can be other PCs or extenders. There is a Placeshifter client to connect to your SageTV system via the internet when you are away from home. You can also import & play music and video files & view pictures.

- Andy
So what do you need a network for? If all im looking for is to play movies from my computer onto the TV. Not use placeshifter software. Or have anyone else in the house watch TV from there computer.

So, in short. The sagetv has to be hooked up to the computer via a A/V cable? If it has to be connected to the tuner card, the computer can't be to far away from the SageTV. And the only need for network, is placeshifter, and mulitaccess to view from different computers.
Old 11-10-2007, 09:50 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpslusser View Post
Alright there bub calm down. Im just tryin to figure out how this whole thing works. Yes I have directTV, no i have no experience with HTPC's. Yes I have experience with computers. All im trying to do is watch half a Tera of IFO/VOB backed-up DVDs from my computer to the TV. And mabye music and pictures also.

All Im wondering is how everything gets connected. If I don't wana watch TV on my computer do I still need a TV Tuner card for my comptuer. DOes SageTV need a TVtuner card to work? All I want is a run down on the "loop". What gets connected to where, how this works with that. Thats all.
Sorry, didn't mean to come across too hyper; I was just trying to encourage you to post more specific questions than "how does this work?" and "I've already read that".

I don't use Sage to watch backed up DVD's so I can't really answer that for you; I don't believe that it works with IFO's or VOB's, but I may be mistaken about that.

The primary purpose of Sage is to watch and record TV. It also includes a Media Center for watching other videos, as well as managing Music and Photos, but I think most of us would agree that those are ancillary functions.

To watch and record TV, you need a tuner card. In your case, the tuner card is merely used to collect video signals from DirectTV; you will also need some method for your PC to tell your DirectTV set-top box (STB) to change channels when needed. However, based on your last comment, it doesn't sound like you want to watch or record TV; if that's the case, you may want to look at other solutions.

To playback media from your computer to your TV, you need either an output card that translates video signals into HDHMI or s-video. You could also use a media extender to stream media from your PC to your TV; again, SageTV has a media extender that allows you to stream TV, Videos, Music, and Pictures, but it's current version is actually a product from Hauppauge that doesn't require Sage for Music Videos and Pictures.

Does that help?
Old 11-10-2007, 11:05 PM
Sage Fanatic

Sage works fine with .ifo's and .vob's, but if all you really need is just to view ripped dvd's, Sage may be a bit overkill for you. Something like TheaterTek might suit your needs better.

Now, if you do try out Sage for viewing DVD's, that could lead you to want to explore all the other things that Sage can do. For example: completely replace a TiVo unit, or be a 'jukebox' for your home, or be a central media archive for distribution to any room in the house, or allow you to view any of your recorded TV shows from any computer on the internet regardless of where you are at (like in a hotel room, for example, or at the 'inlaws' house).

Sage is HUGELY flexible, but if all you want is basically to view DVD's, then there are other easier, cheaper options.

-PGPfan
Sage Server: Gigabyte 690AMD m-ATX, Athlon II X4 620 Propus, 3.0 GB ram, (1) VistaView dual analog PCI-e tuner, (2) Avermedia Purity 3D MCE 250's, (1) HD-Homerun, 1.5 TB of hard drives in a Windows Home Server drive pool, Western Digital 300GB 'scratch' disk outside the pool, Gigabit LAN
Sage Clients: MSI DIVA m-ATX, 5.1 channel 100w/channel amplifier card, 2 GB ram, , (1) Hauppauge MVP, (1) SageTV HD-100 Media Storage: unRAID 3.6TB server
Old 11-11-2007, 11:24 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGPfan View Post
Sage works fine with .ifo's and .vob's, but if all you really need is just to view ripped dvd's, Sage may be a bit overkill for you. Something like TheaterTek might suit your needs better.

Now, if you do try out Sage for viewing DVD's, that could lead you to want to explore all the other things that Sage can do. For example: completely replace a TiVo unit, or be a 'jukebox' for your home, or be a central media archive for distribution to any room in the house, or allow you to view any of your recorded TV shows from any computer on the internet regardless of where you are at (like in a hotel room, for example, or at the 'inlaws' house).

Sage is HUGELY flexible, but if all you want is basically to view DVD's, then there are other easier, cheaper options.

-PGPfan
Radioshack used to sell a device that would connect to your TV and to your network. Access your computers dedicated folder were you store your media and display it on the TV. I would love to get my hands on something like that. No software to run on my computer. SOmething basic enough to have my parents use it. Anything come to mind beside the TheaterTek software?
Old 11-12-2007, 05:20 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpslusser View Post
Radioshack used to sell a device that would connect to your TV and to your network. Access your computers dedicated folder were you store your media and display it on the TV. I would love to get my hands on something like that. No software to run on my computer. SOmething basic enough to have my parents use it. Anything come to mind beside the TheaterTek software?
Just to be clear, all of the dmr (digital media receiver) machines have some software that they run on a serving machine; it's just typically a very small footprint. There are tons of them out there, each of them with varying capabilities:

http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/produ..._mediamvp.html (the MediaMVP can also be used by Sage if you decide to use it a later date).

Here's a link from PC World that lists and compares a few of them: http://www.pcmag.com/category2/0,1874,924250,00.asp

I'm not sure how many of them support VOB; I'll leave that to you to find out.

Good luck.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:02 PM
Sage User

you could modify an Xbox and run Xbox Media Center (XBMC) for < $100 that can stream any media under the sun from regular old network shares.

it does require some technical knowledge to setup though.

AppleTV has similar functions for around $200 though I'm not sure if it requires software to be installed on the other machines to perform streaming.