SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 11-13-2007, 03:56 PM
Sage User

Multiple clients

Hi - I'm wondering if multiple clients can be asynchronous, i.e. if each can access any of the SageTV content (assuming a tuner per client). Hope my question is clear.

Thanks,
Tom Bailey
Old 11-13-2007, 04:00 PM
Administrator

Yes, each client can play different content. They can each play different already-recorded shows regardless of the number of tuners, but if each client is to play a different live TV channel, then yes, you'll need 1 tuner per client. (A lot of us don't bother playing anything live any more, though.)

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:29 PM
Sage Icon

1.5:1 client to tuner ratio will prove more satisfactory, assuming you don't have more tuners then you do channels in lineup. As long as you get the retail home user license that won't happen.

This will allow your scheduled recordings even more then one in a family of 4 not to interfer with the live TV viewing needs.

As you age with SageTV you'll find live TV absolutely dreadful, after that point you could sell off some tuners. When you are new you'll watch live TV as thats what you have normally done in the past.

Also if you have 5 shows all on the same day/time slot obivously you would need tuners to cover that. Thats not too common though.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:47 PM
Sage User

Thanks to both of you for your answers. I was hoping that's the way it worked. And, I entirely agree with your feelings about TV. I watch TV only with the aid of a DVR and I'm planning on replacing my Dish DVR with SageTV. By the way, if you don't mind a further question (don't know if this is the appropriate place), my TV source will still be satellite, for which I believe I will need a set-top box. So I don't actually need tuners, just video capture cards. Am I correct and, any suggestions for cards?
Thanks again.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:15 PM
SageTVaholic

There basically aren't any pure capture cards that don't also have tuners built in. So any of the popular tuner cards should work; you'll just be bypassing the tuner portion by using the S-Video input.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:18 PM
Sage User

Thanks again to all.