SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 11-18-2007, 12:00 AM
Sage Aficionado

R5000 - Trouble changing channels

I just got my two R5000s set up and I'm having trouble getting the channels to change properly. I read about the problems some people are having with channel changing, and how a restart of the media player takes care of the problem, this is not that problem. I am not even getting the channels to change on my STB. Sometimes the channel changes, sometimes it tunes the last channel, sometimes it does not even start the recording. Anyone have any experience with this problem?
Old 11-18-2007, 08:55 AM
Sage Expert

I rarely have problems changing channels with the r5000. I am using the stock configuration without any tweaks to speed up the changing. Rarely, when watching a program and switching to another I will first have to stop playback before selecting the channel to play.

This forum:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...postid=4445474

is a great source of information.

Also, Nextcom recommends this:

seeker/fast_mux_switch=false
videoframe/fast_file_switching=false

to avoid problems changing channels.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:59 PM
SageTVaholic

You must be from the San Francisco Bay Area... If you are, it's broken for all of us who have Comcast. Basically none of the channels change, if they do they either change to the wrong channel or have no video/audio stream at all.. MikeSM from this forum warned me about this over the weekend... if this is true.. its a huge Zap2it/Comcast blunder...

I have two R5000's right now that are unusable.. just like yours

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoboy View Post
I just got my two R5000s set up and I'm having trouble getting the channels to change properly. I read about the problems some people are having with channel changing, and how a restart of the media player takes care of the problem, this is not that problem. I am not even getting the channels to change on my STB. Sometimes the channel changes, sometimes it tunes the last channel, sometimes it does not even start the recording. Anyone have any experience with this problem?

***RIP SageTV***
Old 11-18-2007, 04:40 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkanet View Post
You must be from the San Francisco Bay Area... If you are, it's broken for all of us who have Comcast. Basically none of the channels change, if they do they either change to the wrong channel or have no video/audio stream at all.. MikeSM from this forum warned me about this over the weekend... if this is true.. its a huge Zap2it/Comcast blunder...

I have two R5000's right now that are unusable.. just like yours
Your post on the AVS Forum and the response has to do with Comcast doing a Master Channel reassignment. This shouldn't prevent the cable box from attempting to tune channels via the USB/Firewire/ir interface. At worst, the channel doesn't exist or gives you the wrong program -- until the box gets an updated EPG from the headend.

I think a diagnostic test would be to compare the same event: channel changes using LiveTV in Sage and using the ir remote to the STB.

The channel change on the STB via USB is done by the R5000 mode, and Comcast shouldn't be able to effect it.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:46 PM
SageTVaholic

I have no problems changing via USB using the R5000 helper software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conejo View Post
Your post on the AVS Forum and the response has to do with Comcast doing a Master Channel reassignment. This shouldn't prevent the cable box from attempting to tune channels via the USB/Firewire/ir interface. At worst, the channel doesn't exist or gives you the wrong program -- until the box gets an updated EPG from the headend.

I think a diagnostic test would be to compare the same event: channel changes using LiveTV in Sage and using the ir remote to the STB.

The channel change on the STB via USB is done by the R5000 mode, and Comcast shouldn't be able to effect it.

***RIP SageTV***
Old 11-18-2007, 04:52 PM
Sage Expert

Some of the BayArea forums are reporting they were told, "a proposed channel migration and addition is scheduled to occur around 11/15. Some of the EPG services have jumped the gun, creating a big mess."

November 15 Launch

USA HD launch on Digital Classic HD channel 738.
HGTV HD launch on Digital Classic HD channel 746.
Discovery HD launch on Digital Classic HD channel 750.
History HD launch on Digital Classic HD channel 758.

Existing HD Lineup Renumbering

Versus/Golf channel number will change from 721 to 722.
ESPN HD channel number will change from 723 to 724.
ESPN2 HD channel number will change from 724 to 725.
NFL Network HD channel number will change from 725 to 730.
A&E HD channel number will change from 718 to 734
TNT HD channel number will change from 726 to 737.
Universal HD channel number will change from 727 to 739.
MOJO channel number will change from 719 to 740.
MHD channel number will change from 728 to 743.
Discovery Theater HD channel number will change from 722 to 754.
National Geographic HD channel number will change from 715 to 757.
HBO HD channel number will change from 730 to 770.
Starz HD channel number will change from 734 to 780.
Showtime HD channel number will change from 736 to 785.
Cinemax HD channel number will change from 732 to 792.

Last edited by Conejo; 11-18-2007 at 05:01 PM.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:53 PM
Sage Aficionado

Ok, I figured out my problem. I had the name of the device and the port #s switched in SageTV. I still have problems with some channels like HistoryHD, and yes, I do live in the Bay Area. Los Altos to be exact. It seems to change channels just fine now except for HistoryHD. I wouldn't call this unusable.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:10 AM
Sage Aficionado

Crap, now the R5000 software is crashing every time sage tries to start a recording.