SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 12-01-2007, 09:39 AM
Sage Fanatic

HD media extender - things that might be missing?

it looks like sage has done an absolutely brilliant job with the new extender but here's a thread where we can detail things that it might not be capable of or probably can but just need clarification.

here we go:

1) sleep function that releases a tuner?

this is my biggest pet peeve with the MVP. i don't want to have to shut it all the way off to release the tuner i just want for the mvp to release the tuner when it goes into a screensaver or sleep mode.

2) be able to power off the tv from the extender remote?

it's nice to be able to do this with 2nd gen mce remotes.

3) clarify that it will down convert HD streams for use on SD TV's

i'm sure it will do this but just want to know for sure.

feel free to add more
Old 12-01-2007, 10:29 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GbrNole View Post
it looks like sage has done an absolutely brilliant job with the new extender but here's a thread where we can detail things that it might not be capable of or probably can but just need clarification.

here we go:

1) sleep function that releases a tuner?

this is my biggest pet peeve with the MVP. i don't want to have to shut it all the way off to release the tuner i just want for the mvp to release the tuner when it goes into a screensaver or sleep mode.
I'm not sure what you mean, if I hit the power/sleep button on my MVP, it lets go of the tuner. Beyond that, it works just like normal SageTV, hangs onto the tuner until you stop playback.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:50 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
I'm not sure what you mean, if I hit the power/sleep button on my MVP, it lets go of the tuner. Beyond that, it works just like normal SageTV, hangs onto the tuner until you stop playback.
Like this: My inconsiderate sister-in-law likes to use the downstair TV and MVP.. she falls asleep and never turns off the MVP. I wake in the morning and can't watch my MVP without going into her room to turn off the MVP.

Too bad it can't fall asleep by itself and release the license.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:04 PM
Sage Icon

You can power it off via Nielms www server, though.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:06 PM
SageTVaholic

Isn't there a sleep timer plugin for just that purpose?

In any case I don't see how that's a hardware deficiency in the MVP, since it can happen with software clients as well.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:08 PM
Sage Fanatic

you havee to power it down to release the tuner so no screen saver on the tv screen.

i would prefer that as soon as you stop watching live or place shifted tv or if the tv goes to sleep with the screen saver on then the tuner is released.

if the screen saver is on my mvp it's still occupying a tuner.

i'd like to have 5 extenders in my house but i just don't want all 5 recording continuously.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:52 PM
SageTVaholic

The only reason an extender would tie up a tuner continuously is if you leave it playing video all the time. This includes video playing in the menu background or preview window, so if you have that feature set to "Always", change it to "Never" or "If Active". As the name implies, "Always" always records (tying up a tuner), even if the current menu doesn't have a place to show it. For instance, the Main Menu doesn't have a preview window, and I'm guessing the screensaver menu has neither a preview window nor a background video player. But if your video menu mode is set to "Always", it will record anyway.

Again, this is a software feature (or non-feature, depending on how you look at it) that happens on any client, not just MVPs. The reason it stops when you power down the MVP is because you've broken the client's connection to the server, so the server releases the video stream being consumed by that client.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:19 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
you havee to power it down to release the tuner so no screen saver on the tv screen.

i would prefer that as soon as you stop watching live or place shifted tv or if the tv goes to sleep with the screen saver on then the tuner is released.

i'd like to have 5 extenders in my house but i just don't want all 5 recording continuously.
As everyone has said. You DO NOT need to power down to release. If it shows in the upper right hand corner that it is still recording (and say you are on the main menu), all you need to do is hit the STOP button. It will release the tuner.

It would be a bit annoying to have to do this if the MVP is in another room or another floor, but then again I never watch live tv thru my MVP so it doesn't affect me.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 12-01-2007, 04:56 PM
Sage Icon

I'm thinking he means the Extender/Placeshifter license not the tuner. To release the license, the MVP needs to be disconnected (i.e., turned off).
Old 12-01-2007, 05:01 PM
Sage Icon

1) MVP does it now the new unit will probably do it too. Use the auto sleep timer plugin.

2) Not like you want it to. The auto sleep timer above can make this happen with an IR blaster though.

3) Unknown, I would be serisouly surprised if it couldn't though.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:57 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by toricred View Post
I'm thinking he means the Extender/Placeshifter license not the tuner. To release the license, the MVP needs to be disconnected (i.e., turned off).
Foolio seems to be talking about licenses, but the OP GBRNole seems to be talking about tuners.

If your MVP isn't releasing the tuner, try hitting stop. I would imagine the MVPs work just like client software, and simply play the recorded file unless you select something out of the guide (ie the majority of playback is done w/o the use of ANY tuner) and then as soon as you his "Stop" the "live tv" recording stops....
2x HDHR, all OTA
QNAP TS-809:
12.5 TB for Recordings/Imports/TimeMachine/Music
HD200 via 802.11n in Living Room
802.11n client in bedroom
Old 12-01-2007, 10:14 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the screensaver does not occupy a tuner, only watching Live TV or recording in progress would. And you can always install the webserver plugin, shut any MVP off via web browser. On the other hand, I would use this as an excuse to add more tuners.
Quote:
Again, how it is that all 5 are recording continuously? As said before, tuners don't get occupied just because you leave the MVP powered ON or if the screensaver is ON.
Quote:
Originally Posted by foolio View Post
Like this: My inconsiderate sister-in-law likes to use the downstair TV and MVP.. she falls asleep and never turns off the MVP. I wake in the morning and can't watch my MVP without going into her room to turn off the MVP.

Too bad it can't fall asleep by itself and release the license.
Your options:

Install auto-sleep plugin and tell her to use it.
Get a second Extender license, make her pay for it.
Install the webserver plugin, shut her MVP off via web browser.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.

Last edited by mayamaniac; 12-01-2007 at 10:19 PM.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:21 AM
SageTVaholic

and to add to mayamaniac's comment, make sure the Video Menus option (options/yellow in main menu) are set to If Active (ie it plays a menu background only if something is already playing)

If set to Off, it will not be obvious that liveTV is paused (and recording) while at the main menu.
If set to Always, it will always record, unless sleeping.

With these set, all you have to do is to hit Stop to stop playback (and release a tuner if you were watching liveTV).
Old 12-02-2007, 04:42 AM
Sage Aficionado

Hi,

I used to have a script that would stop play back using nielms web Server. I would then run this form the Other Programs Plug-in. Done this because people would forget to press stop on MVP when switching the TV off. Saved me getting out of bed.

Dean
Old 12-02-2007, 10:02 AM
Sage Aficionado

My plan would be to do macros on the remote so that if someone pressed power off for the tv on my urc, it would send stop signal x 2 to the mvp, or sleep mode etc.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:38 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanm View Post
Hi,

I used to have a script that would stop play back using nielms web Server. I would then run this form the Other Programs Plug-in. Done this because people would forget to press stop on MVP when switching the TV off. Saved me getting out of bed.

Dean
Code:
wget.exe --delete-after http://USER:PASS@SVR-ADD/sage/SageCommand?context=MVP-MAC-ADD&command=Power
Old 12-05-2007, 01:28 PM
Sage User

How about support for a keyboard (there are USB ports)?
Old 12-05-2007, 07:19 PM
SageTVaholic

I think read somewhere that the USB ports unused at this time, but I agree keyboard support would be cool.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:00 AM
Sage User

Did the spec mention if both the HD component and S-Video can be live at the same time? I have a SDTV and HD projector and would like to avoid switching modes.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:00 AM
Sage Icon

Things that are missing:

1. DVD player to play rented DVDs without ripping
2. CD player that will play without ripping
3. Small LCD screen to use without turning on the projector.