SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 12-06-2007, 02:04 PM
Sage Advanced User

Question about licensing...

I am a long time gbpvr user but due to its limitations and my changing requirements, I am taking a look at Sage. My configuration is a follows:

Headless media server in basement w/ HVR-1600 and lots of disks.
HTPC in my living room
MediaMVP in my basement

What packages do I need to buy to get Sage on my 2 televisions?

For sure I need the full version, but do I also need a client license and a MVP license -- or does a full version come with 1 client license, so that I would only need the Sage + MVP (software) bundle?

Please help the confused -- and quickly as I only have a few days of trial period left!

(BTW, I emailed Sage yesterday and they have yet to respond.)
Old 12-06-2007, 02:33 PM
Sage Advanced User

You would need the SageTV media center + 1 client + 1 extender license.

The media center (full) does allow you to run a client on the server, but as you are running headless it does not help you.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:43 PM
SageTVaholic

If you choose to run Placeshifter instead of SageTVClient on the living room PC, you could conceivably get by with just one Extender license (which also works as a Placeshifter license), so long as you never want to use both the PC client and the MVP client at the same time. Placeshifter and Extender clients are licensed per active connection, not per installation.

A SageTVClient license is a different beast altogether and cannot be shared among clients the way that Placeshifter/Extender licenses can be. There's a FAQ covering the differences between Placeshifter and SageTVClient software, but basically if you want full flexibility to configure decoders and such on a LAN-attached client, you want SageTVClient. If you're traveling, or are content with default decoders and renderers, use Placeshifter instead.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:02 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick View Post
If you choose to run Placeshifter instead of SageTVClient on the living room PC, you could conceivably get by with just one Extender license (which also works as a Placeshifter license), so long as you never want to use both the PC client and the MVP client at the same time. Placeshifter and Extender clients are licensed per active connection, not per installation.

A SageTVClient license is a different beast altogether and cannot be shared among clients the way that Placeshifter/Extender licenses can be. There's a FAQ covering the differences between Placeshifter and SageTVClient software, but basically if you want full flexibility to configure decoders and such on a LAN-attached client, you want SageTVClient. If you're traveling, or are content with default decoders and renderers, use Placeshifter instead.
I've thought of that but the dealbreaker is that I would have a hard time trying to tell my wife how to play a DVD. (In addition to my wife and I watching a recording upstairs, and the kids watching something else downstairs on the MVP)

"Find the keyboard, exit sage tv, open power dvd, etc..."

That ain't gonna fly....
Old 12-07-2007, 12:44 PM
Sage Advanced User

I sent an email to SageTV, and they told me that I needed a single license for a client / server setup, while people on this board said they are separate licenses.

I emailed sage back looking for clarification, but no response yet, and my trial is up in 4 days!
Old 12-07-2007, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
I sent an email to SageTV, and they told me that I needed a single license for a client / server setup, while people on this board said they are separate licenses.

I emailed sage back looking for clarification, but no response yet, and my trial is up in 4 days!
Support may not have been clear about your setup -- your question was answered above. You asked about 1 server, 1 client PC, and 1 MVP. That is 1 server license, 1 client license, and 1 extender license, as mentioned above. (The extender license is included w/the extender if you buy it from SageTV.)

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.