SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:19 AM
Sage Expert

Hauppauge MediaMVP HD MPEG4 playback problem

Hope my dilemma does not get washed away with all the hype today. Congrats to Sage for the release of their new product!

My problem is with the Hauppauge Media MVP. I have installed the auto compress for the default STV and have been compressing my recordings automatically for some time now.

When I play a HD recording on an MVP in MPEG4 format I have a time related issue with ALL compressed recordings. I have looked at about 5 so far and all have the same problem on the MVP. I fast foreward to about 15 to 30 minutes into an hour long recording and no matter how far I fast foreward past a certain point the video jumps back to the same point in time. The time bar shows I have gone to the correct spot but the video always ends up in the same spot. I could also let the video play until the end without interrupting it until the end. However, if I hit fast forward at any point, it jumps back to the same spot.

I have a recording of the same show (1 HD, 1 SD). The SD does not have this problem, the HD does.

I don't know if this is the problem but I am using the SagePlayer to playback MPEG4 instead of DirectShow. I have not purchased any other codecs.

Also, I am running 6.3.2 beta, I think.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:43 AM
Sage Expert

Anyone else with this problem or can anyone help?

Even though I am using a beta version, I probably should have posted in the Media Extender forum. Sorry.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:27 PM
Sage Expert

Installed 6.3.5.
Installed FFDShow.
Now using DirectShow for playback.

It still works fine on client and server. Not so much on the MVP.

I filed a support request.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:56 PM
Sage Expert

Just so everyone is aware. Support confirmed this to be a problem and they are working on a fix.

Still can't believe that nobody else has this problem though.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:19 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevine View Post
Still can't believe that nobody else has this problem though.
I don't see why that's so hard to believe; you're doing something that requires a lot of CPU to work. I think that most of us that use the MediaMVP tend not to compress files anymore because of the stress it places on the server to playback. Much more reliable to just buy a bigger hard drive

Intersect the group that has MediaMVP's and compresses their files with the group that gets reliable HD into their Sage server, and I'd bet there's few people that fit in that group. Even fewer of them will post to a forum.

Not saying that you shouldn't do what you're doing (especially if you have the horsepower); just remarking that you're probably in a minority.

Stu
Old 12-21-2007, 06:22 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainswor99 View Post
I don't see why that's so hard to believe; you're doing something that requires a lot of CPU to work. I think that most of us that use the MediaMVP tend not to compress files anymore because of the stress it places on the server to playback. Much more reliable to just buy a bigger hard drive

Intersect the group that has MediaMVP's and compresses their files with the group that gets reliable HD into their Sage server, and I'd bet there's few people that fit in that group. Even fewer of them will post to a forum.

Not saying that you shouldn't do what you're doing (especially if you have the horsepower); just remarking that you're probably in a minority.

Stu
Thanks for your input. I may end up not compressing anymore depending on what I hear back from support. HD is more important to me then space. If I could afford 4 HD extenders to replace the MVPs that would solve my problem.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:58 AM
Sage Expert

Well FWIW I have had the same thing happen on my XVID files under 6.2.x on an MVP.

Those same files now fly wonderfully fine on my MVP but refuse to play (at all) on my HDX.

I am running current GA of Sage and the latest firmware.